Open back headphones help

Hi guys. I usually listen to hip hop, edm and acoustic music. I currently have a SHP 9500. I have been seeing different options to replace these SHP. I have been seeing different options such as the DT880, He 4xx, Dt990 and AKG k712. I saw some headsets as well like the steelseries arctis pro wireless or the
Hyperx Cloud Orbit (Audeze Mobius rebrand) as well.

Bearing in mind that I will listen to those genres and will play on the PC, what should I choose? Are the DT880 bass lite for these genres of music?

Thanks for the help

2 Likes

So something that would depend on some of those choices is would you be willing to get an amp? The 4xx and 880 600 ohm sound up your alley but you would really want an amp with them

If you are not able to get an amp, the hd58x is also a great choice imo

I can further explain the sound of the headphones as well if you would like

1 Like

I already have a liquid spark .My main option was the Dt 880 250 ohms but as I am sensitive to treble and as I listen to these types of music I don’t know if it will be the most suitable. The 4xx from what I’ve seen is also a little bright. What I have seen as the main options are the K712 the Philips X2 the the Meze 99 noir

1 Like

Hmm, so you like something warmer then? Do you prefer something wider or more intimate? Do you like something more aggressive or relaxed?

Having the liquid spark is good as it’s a bit warmer and smoother amp that can tone down the treble a bit on stuff like the 880 or 4xx

1 Like

Ye, i like something warmer but i hate bass canons like the new version of the DT 770 for example. I like something more wider and more agressive i think, that is why i listen genres like edm or metal.

1 Like

Hmmm, you may enjoy the 4xx imo, it pairs very well with the liquid spark. Works very well with your genres. Also not as peaky as the Beyer’s and is very clean and quick, while still reaching low

2 Likes

Are the AKG K612 PRO any good? I can find new for $110

1 Like

They are decent, but I would recommend the 880 600 ohm more or the 4xx over them. I think if you really wanted an akg the k712 would be the choice if you had to have an akg

1 Like

what type of bass are you looking for quality or amount or al ittle in between?
for me I love the 990, 880, and 4xx for hip hop
990 is great if you want to focu in on the beat the recessed mids will put the beat , the 808’s front and centre
the 880’s particualrly the 600 ohm are similar but more balanced more chill less bass less treble but more mids
the 4xx is balanced sound the bass is tight and fast

if you want big bass the fidelios are the way to go. the k712 is a pleasnt in between but lacks the forwardness I crave in modern hip hop music. but great in older school pre 2005 era stuff.

1 Like

If he is worried about treble I don’t know if the 990 would be the best idea lol, the 880 (specifically 600 ohm imo) might be the safer bet

1 Like

aggreed @xed d how did you fare with the shp 9500 treble?

1 Like

im ok with the SHP 9500 treble

I’ve found the 4XX to be a bit picky with amps. I don’t have the Liquid Spark but the LCX turned it from v-shaped into a martini glass.

It ends up pairing pretty well with the liquid spark imo. Assuming you were using balanced? I haven’t heard it on a lcx before so I can’t comment there

'interesting most treble sensitive folks I know hate the shps due to it’s treble. if your ok with it’s treble in theory you should be fine with the 880s treble and maybe… the 990’s treble. there are a few types of treble sensitive people I find it just depends on the type you are

1 Like

I’m only going to recommend what I’ve used. So I enjoy the Superlux HD668b with brainwavz XL pads for the genres you’ve mentioned. Cheap as hell and I find them to not have annoyingly boomy bass and their upper range is pretty decent. Their bass is just nice and responsive. Yeah lateral move is what others will say. I don’t see a problem with doing that. I own the SHP as well, I’ll swap between these two depending on the mood I’m in.

1 Like

I ill probably go for the Dt 880 or 990 250ohm versions

1 Like

Just curious, why not the 600 ohm versions?

1 Like

or 600 dont know :smiley:

1 Like

I personally cant do 668b treble range way too hot not great especially for treble sensitive people

1 Like