PC38X or TYGR 300R

nope and for earbuds that soundstage on the byrd is rather large

$169 on Beyers on website for Black Friday weekend right now, looks like for another 3 days. Version with the standalone mic for $299 looks like it’s sold out.

do yourselves a favor and skip the Fox mic… not worth it, your better off with something like an at2020 usb or Blue Yeti. Only thing good about fox is that it can preamp the tygr with enough power…

1 Like

fox mic sucks. I’m going with the tygr too.

1 Like

No shipping and no tax for me. MaYBE FOR YOU 2

Tax and $67 for 1-day shipping for me. I got the C630 today, and they sound quite good…! Very smooth 360 imaging. Still need to test more, to determine if they have better imaging than my other stuff.

1 Like

300 R on Ebay right now for $210. Sold out at Beyer site.

It’s used yet priced like new. Hard pass

Price is merely about what it’s worth to you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (and also availability, currently at 1!)

It restocks regularly. I’ll take a brand new at full price over used at full price any day. Not worth more so since tygr been showing up more often on the used market for around $150

Cool. So I ordered my 300 R a few days before the item said, “Out of Stock”, and I called them to ask about the shipping status of it today. They say, “Oh, the item was over-ordered during the sale, so we won’t have any for 2-3 weeks”. Yeah, what about my place in line? Who did the ones you had get sent to? How many did you actually have…? How come I got no email informing me about this? Beyerdynamic :-1:

Yeah I think they just pissed off a lot of people myself included. I had two buddies of mine about to order them but the tygr literally flipped out of stock within like what… a day…? Stayed out of stock throughout 95% of the sale period and Beyerdynamic refused to take further orders for their sale. They could do to get a better sales approach… I know EU Beyer over there let’s you place orders like that.

When reached out to about whether they planned to extend the sale due to this issue or if they were able to take further orders their response was

“Unfortunately not. The only way to place the order is through the website, and we have sold out of these at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.”

The tygrs themselves are worth it, but Beyer could really do to get some better customer service.

I didn’t know they had a US headquarters, but I think I should contact the main one about this crap.

At that point I am not sure theres much you can do, there excuse is that covid and other restrictions are barring them from making the stuff… (granted this is total bs since the fox bundle over there can not only be email requested but it stays in stock regularly)

Would just wait it out at that point man, sorry you had to deal with this. The Tygr’s have been having an out of stock issue since the virus started. Tygrs gained a lot of popularity the more people realized just how good of a headphone they really are for gamers

Finally got an email about my order item being “backordered”. Asking for free shipping, for this mishap on the company’s behalf. Let’s see what happens…

Sounds like you’re being a bit unreasonable. It’s the holidays, covid etc. and these things I believe are built by hand.

Items go out of stock and might have delays, it’s just a reality.

True, but they’re sitting on my money, while I have nothing for weeks. I paid for 1-day shipping, and not for a pre-order item that may have not even been available at all at the time. They didn’t even ask if I want my money back, or to wait.

It’s been a rather common issue for beyer of late. I understand covid is an issue but the way they have it set up is rather aggravating… itd be different if tygr was purchasable in other locations as well like the rest of their products but like the tygr will come in stock then within like 12 hours it’s gone for another 3 weeks

It’s not like they are new either as they are a couple years old.

The frequency response on the PC38x looks very well done compared to most headphones. What about the PC 38x did you not like? Is the imaging not as good on them compared with the TYGR?

I’m debating between these two as well to be used strictly for gaming.

I can’t seem to find a measurement of the TYGR done on the same rig as the PC 38x to compare with, the rig Oratory uses in these measurements is the industry standard.

The response and tuning of the headphone is just fine this isn’t the issue the signature itself is remarkably similar to the HD 600 but with more on the low end. The issue is that the imaging is not all that great, it’s not a good 360 degrees and struggles a little on diagonals compared to the tygr, the soundstage I am not quite sure where anyone is getting that they sound real big… they are a little above the average to my ear and smaller than the tygr which is around the same of say a k7xx or k7 series from akg… while pc38x definitely wins in the ideal tuning that’s all it wins in… as everything else except is quite bad after sitting with them… almost everything musical with 38x is pretty poor(it was like this with pc37x as well) and you can tell it was designed explicitly for gaming but not at all for music. Theres a lack of detail despite being bright, a big lack of seperation, as said imaging is rather poor despite being for gaming(granted better than over 90% of all gaming headsets which is fine in that regard), the highs are slightly grainy, the mids sound a little shallow they aren’t all too forward like I would come to expect from a sennheiser though still relaitvely clear, the bass was adjusted from the pc37x as pc37x was a bit recessive but it’s only relatively neutral which honestly is rather boring all considering in terms of gaming.

Infact it’s to a point that I can go grab a modmic uni + dt 880 for about $140 then a cheap $60 combo unit bringing it up to $200 and this would completely demolish the pc38x… the tygr itself completely destroys the pc38x in musicality and performance to my ear it’s just not a bright headset which is a negative point of the tygr… The tygr is warm instead with a slight peak to it, but is designed so well that the bass is perfectly controlled and stays out of the way still allowing you to easily place your fps sounds but also having a tuning that makes it great for casual use, more so if you like say edm or hiphop, but just regular music listening

I fully believe the pc38x has been shilled… that isn’t to say it’s bad it’s not by any means a bad headset, but it is a bad headphone in my opinion. I have heard many in the bright headphone category that can outperform the pc38x. It’s a great option if your looking explicitly for something for competitive gaming, ideal signature, and a headset that’s open back… however even in terms of competitive this is a negative because if your truly series about competitive you would stick with a closed back due to venue training to begin with therefore making this a rather moot point.

It’s not just myself that noticed that quite honestly the pc38x isn’t all that great, I sat down with about 12 others I know and asked them their opinion. For music I can’t really ask to compare because they are of a different signature though I let them compare a dt 880 to a pc38x since you can snag a dt 880 when it’s 250 ohm at around $100-$125. The dt 880 was the resounding result choice by a large margin for music. As for gaming, tygr and 880 both were the resounding choice out of the 12 with only 1 person saying he would use it primarily due to budget and he liked the fit…

The issue with seperation for the pc38x and what also makes it more visible on what the issues are is going into larger fps… you start to realize the restrictions on the soundstage, the worse imaging, and the seperation that makes it rougher to place sounds correctly as things begin to sound a bit garbled in very heated large scale fights… battlefield and planetside were quite bad in this regard and in terms of escape from Tarkov there was several times where I had real poor placements unlike hte tygr which was laser accurate. However, in any case of smaller scale fps such as cod, overwatch, csgo, etc the pc38x performed exceptionally well and had zero issues generally outside of the typical diagonals struggling a bit but nothing major, even in terms of this I wouldn’t rate it better than a great many others.

The fact that I keep hearing " this is the best thing for gaming etc etc" is rather disturbing to me as I own the pc38x and the tygrs both… and I would never even remotely recommend the pc38x unless you were 1. ampless 2. ran a budget and absolutely needed a headset 3. needed the ideal signature and 4. you didn’t listen to music or didn’t care about musical quality. Otherwise, if you really wanted a sennheiser I would sooner tell you grab a HD 560s for it’s natural sound and neutrality but also the relatively larger stage that’s close to equal to the pc38x or 58x jubilee as it’s much more pleasant all around to listen to for gaming and generally fits anywhere

I suppose I should add that of course this is my opinion on them after sitting with them for several weeks… they aren’t bad, but they aren’t perfect they definitely have their drawbacks… For just a general gamer wanting the signature… sure why the hell not but I probably wouldn’t pay like $150+ maybe $130

Spacial wise… pc38x suffers from the biggest issue I find with some headphones and almost every gaming headset on the market… that is it specializes in left right and center but does not do well with up down behind diagonals and regular panning of sound

Hope that helps get my thoughts across…

2 Likes