6. Decent power rating
7. Native DSD playback

Cons:

1. No 4.4mm output
  2. RGB lights
  3. Battery drain on phone was quite high
  4. No volume buttons
  5. Gets quite warm

This is my first dongle to give my impressions of.
I’m approaching this from the angle of a dongle novice. I have mainly used dongles as a way of using wired iems on my phone and as such I didn’t use the HIDIZS XO with any other sources.
First I’d like to thank HIDIZfor sending my the XO for evaluation, they haven’t tried to influence my impressions in any way and as such these are my thoughts

Here’s what HIDIZS have to say about the XO

DUAL ESS SABRE ES9219C DAC & Independent Crystal Oscillators
Get double the audio performance and the most accurate clocking for both DACs, through the synergy of the Dual ESS SABRE ES9219C DAC chips, and high-precision independent crystal oscillator, for the purest audio experience, and reproduce real music with unprecedented accuracy!Outstanding DAC parameters: 32bit/384kHz PCM, DSD256, +121dB DNR, -114dB THD+N, ultra-low power consumption, high integration, and substantially better performance than previous iterations.Remarks: The above official data is provided by ESS company.

The XO MQA Dongle is only the size of a USB and weighs only 11 grams. Contains two outputs, enough to drive mobile phones, iPads, and PCs. The output power is strong but not excessive, single-ended 78mW+78mW@32Ω / balanced 195mW+195mW@32Ω. The XO MQA Dongle perfectly balances sound quality and battery performance.

The XO is not a new product and has been on the market for a couple of years I’m actually reassured by this too many products appear the disappear soon after.

The Dongle I receiveis an attractive rose gold colour, made out of aluminium. I have to say I like the RGB flashing lights a little too much. The light have many different combinations I rather like the rainbow multicolour rendition.

On initial release the dongle was $99 its now retailing for $59 which I think is a fantastic price for the functions available.

On plugging the XO into my phone (Samsung Galaxy S24Ultra) I mistakenly plugged the cable the wrong way round which meant no sound because the HIDIZS logo needs to be plugged into the phone USB-C port.
Once connected I was greated with a very ckean nuetral sound signature, organic in presentation with a rather surprising wide soundstage.
The 3.5mm se connection drive my IMR ACOUSTICS DARK Matter dual DD iems flawlessly giving a very solid bass and smooth mids the soundstage open with good layering.
Next iem I chose to pair was the Mangird Tea a very sensitive iem the delivery was so smooth and satisfying that I think this will be the pairing I will be using in future the combination was all I could wish for when on the go on public transport or out and about. The bass was dynamic with good articulation, the mids were open and sweet with the treble just about perfect for my tastes. The 3.5mm connection was so good that I don’t feel the need to use the balanced connection which for me is held back by the old 2.5mm size which would mean I have to use a converter to 4.4mm as all my balanced cables are the larger termination.
The Balanced output does deliver a substantial increase in power delivery for harder to drive iems. The sound quality didn’t really sound any different to the 3.5mm se to my ears.

There is full control of the XO via the Hiby app which takes the hassle out of stabbing at the tiny button in the dongle. The app is very easy to use to access the different sound signatures which do change the signature slightly attenuating the treble response. Which one you prefer will be subject to your personal preferences and the iem attached.

Compared to my limited collection of dongle the XO performed admirably easily matching the Hiby FC4 with a similar sound signature. I Discounted comparing the Cayin RU6 as its not a fair comparison due to its r2r configuration and much more expensive price bracket

Conclusion
Overall I was very impressed with the HIDIZS XO for its cost and will be using it as my travel companion with my phone and the Mangird Tea for quality music enjoyment on the go.

8 Likes

First Impressions of the ISN NEO 5
Not really sure how such a small iem makes such a big sound. The NEO5 just keeps getting better. With extended playback the wonderfully full detailed bass really brings music alive with superb attack and layers detail just amazing quality at the asking price. Then there’s the supremely natural mids really putting vocals in the spotlight with organic authority the way male and female voices are presented with equal authority is very impressive at any price point. Finally the treble is coming alive with little no sibilance . The way they generate staging with such precision is a testament to the skill of whoever tuned these.
A real classic rock, funk, edm masterclass iem

2 Likes

BASS is the foundation

Pros :

Bass
2. Comfortable Fit
3. Build quality
4. Nice cable
5. Good accessories

Cons :

1. Not for treble heads
  2. Not for bass phobic people
  3. Can’t really find much to gripe about

I’d just like to say upfront I believe we are all biased when giving our subjective thoughts about IEMs be it a particular type of signature that works with our music library or how an IEM looks and feels in our ears. On the subject of ears everyone’s ear anatomy is different and this effects fit and seal which in turn effects the perception of bass response so I recommend finding the right ear tips that suit your ears to get the best of any IEM.

My review star ratings are linked to the price range of the iem eg a 5 star review of a $100 iem is not equal to one of a $500 iem.

I’m a connoisseur of many different sound signatures. The only prerequisite is musicality I’m not a fan of analytical cold playback. My scale of success when it comes to evaluating iems is do I get goosebumps when they playback my favourite tunes. There are many good iems but do they give me goosebumps? Unfortunately I have a draw full of just good iems.

I want the iem that I reach for without thinking because I instinctively know it will bring the thrill I’m seeking from my music. The Neo 5’s bass centred sound signature gave me goosebumps from the first few bars of the Michael Shenker Groups track “Rock me to the Ground” the swinging bass and big drums literally making the hair stand up on my arms.

I favour Dynamic Drivers for bass the tactility of the drums this is very important to my enjoyment. BAs just don’t give me the organic feel of analogue instruments in the lower frequencies they are fine for electronic music but when it comes drums and bass guitar I want that slower decay of the note. The Neo 5’s 10mm DD is the star of the show really driving the the sound signature forward the Knowles BA’s playing a supporting role. Not to say they are not playing their part they perform admirably in providing the very natural mids and sparkling treble. I didn’t detect any ba timbre which really shows how well tunes this iem is.

ISN is a sub brand of Penon this is my first ISN iem though I do own a couple of Penon. The Fan2 and 10th Anniversary so I was very interested to see how the ISN Neo 5 performs.

Disclaimer
ISN was kind enough to send me a sample set of THE Neo 5 to review. I am not affiliated with ISN and of course was not asked for any copy checking before publishing, they are seeing this the same time as you. All pictures taken be me or taken from the PENON website. ALL opinions shared in this review are my subjective thoughts.

Make sure to research any iem before you buy!

The Neo 5 retails at $289 which for this congiguration is extremely competitive and are available for purchase from their website see the non affiliated link below

ISN Audio NEO 5 (penonaudio.com)

Details from the Penon website

ISN Audio NEO 5 4BA + 1 Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm HiFi Audiophile IEMS

Description

ISN Audio NEO series, different tuning style

Handmade, durable and solid.

Semi-transparent purple shell

Medical grade resin material, light and beautiful, comfortable to wear.

5 drivers hybrid earphone, 10mm diaphragm dynamic driver with 4 Knowles BA hybrid.

S4 cable:

Material: Single Crystal Copper Sliver-plated

Number of cores: 4 strands, single strand is 63 cores, a total of 252 cores

Specifications

Brand:ISN Audio

Model: Neo 5

Driver: 4 Balanced Armature + 1 Dynamic driver hybrid

2 x Knowles BA for high frequency

2 x Knowles BA fo middle frequency

1 x 10 mm diaphragm dynamic driver for low frequency

Material: resin

Impedance: 26 Ω @1khz

Sensitivity: 110 ± 3dB @1khz

Frequency response: 10-20kHz

Connector: 2pin 0.78mm

Cable length: 1.2M

The frequency graph for those who like to see such things

The Neo 5 is a beautiful 5 driver iem, small and perfectly formed they disappear in the ear. Which is very impressive with the driver count. A solid resin shell with a metal nozzle which really helps with fitment of eartips.

What do they sound like?

Around the hifi forums I’ve heard the description “Fun” in relation to this IEM, to me, fun means the iem I reach for, when I want to really enjoy my music. Something that releases the full scope of what the artist created in the studio. The Neo 5 certainly does that with that special something. The cohesion of the drivers ensuring to there’s no jarring transition between the frequency range. Neo 5 is unabashedly a bass driven signature, bass is textured, dynamic and layered, digging out details . The mids are slightly warm but not so warm that they colour the vocals. The vocals don’t take a step back they are there front and centre with instruments placed exactly where they should be showing depth to the stage with natural unforced width. Hybrids can have coherence issues the Neo 5 sounds like a single driver no trace of Ba timbre just everything working together as one.

What do I mean by unforced width? Some IEMs give an impression of super wide stage which sounds unnatural throwing instrument placement off.

The mids are natural and organic slightly warm with just enough edge to add excitement to vocals and guitars causing me to be drawn into the music, A very engaging musical experience.

The Transition from upper mids to lower treble is boosted but still sibilance free, even with songs that have siblence bult into the recordeing.
While the overall signature is slightly in the darker realm there’s still lots of detail. The upper treble has a pleasing amount of air and sparkle, without straying into fatigue levels.

The timbre of drums, strings, guitars and brass instruments is natural. Vocals both male and female are reproduced authentically , if a voice has gravel you feel it. Pure female vocals like Joni Mitchell are imbued with emotion and sweet rounded clarity making an overall very satisfying vocals experience.

The sound signature as a whole is of big bass with clear clean mids with a little edge in the treble, an overall satisfying feeling of immersion in the music.

When I’m evaluating IEMs I have a play list of roughly 100 songs of mixed genres. With the ISN Neo 5 I found myself listening to songs rather than analysing the different frequency ranges listening to albums in their entirety just loosing myself in the music. I found they worked across most genres both smooth and aggressive. I don’t listen to much EDM preferring real instruments playing together as a unit.

Muse - 2nd Law album sounded Immense with thunderous bass. Matt Bellamys voice was crystalline along with the searing guitar a very exciting experience.

Lorde - Royals with its throbbing and droning subass produced with great effect her higher range voice sibilance free.

Joni Mitchell – Blue, the acoustic guitar sounding detailed with the strings resonance reproduced well. Joni’s vocals can sound a bit shrill on lesser iems not here the roundness to her upper register was very pleasing.

Steely Dan’s - Aja, one of the best produced albums in my opinion was played with musical deftness’, hi-hats and cymbals were natural with excellent decay staging was good with height, depth and width enabling me to pick out instruments in the mix.

Michael Schenker Group – Rock Me to the ground this is one of my favourites the big swinging bass line with powerful drums starting the song, then the gravely shout of Graham Bonnet comes screaming through as the guitars are take over. The Neo 5 nails this with aplomb genuinely causing the hairs of my neck stand to attention.

Peter Gabriel - live album with the New Blood Orchestra. The full orchestra reproduced with clarity and separation placing me in the front row and centre of the stage with strings Gabriel’s voice intimate and detailed.

Lady Black Bird - Blackbird the subtleties of the interplay between vocals and instruments are played well, her voice intoxicating. The space around the components of the song is decent. Black acid Soul is superb Acid jazz/soul mix produced and mastered to perfection and the Neo 5 does a good job of drawing you into the music.

Iron Maiden - Rhyme of the ancient Mariner - boy the dynamics of this track are amazing and are reproduced with pin point accuracy , I did not perceive any congestion in the guitars, bass and drums Bruce’s vocals were on point and unveiled just good headbanging fun

The Neo5 is very easy to drive and I had no issues using them with Daps, Dongles.

They pretty much sounded good with all my sources. This is not an iem that needs an expensive source but it does scale impressively.
I’m not a fan of analytical sounding IEMs that force details into your ears like a photograph with HDR and sharpening set at max a decidedly digital representation. I’m more Vinyl on a turntable, Leica manual focus, sumptuous colours on kodak colour gold film, kinda guy, where if you look really close all the details are there but it’s the whole image you appreciate rather than just how sharp it is. The Neo 5 gives me this feeling no matter which source I use.

Sources used:
IBasso dx170
Shanling H5
Shanling M6 Ultra
Sony Zx507
Sony Nw-WM1A
HiBy R6 111
HiBy R8
HiBy RS2
CAYIN N3PRO
CAYIN RU6
IFI GO BLUE
FIIO BTR7
FIIO M15

Conclusion

The upto $300 range is full of great sounding iems with more released it seems on a weekly basis the Neo 5 competes admirably, with it’s fun and exciting sound signature. The size and design of the shell does help its move up the ranks as I found it one of the most comfortable iems on the market. The Neo 5 is an everyday carry that deserves to be in everyone’s collection

5 Likes

Wow! Great review! :smile:

1 Like

Cheers brother :+1:

1 Like

Looking forward to hearing what you think about the VE stack!

The “Stack” is a very impressive piece of kit with huge power the sound signature is smooth with bass going deep with good punch the mids are not recessed with smooth treble the only issues Ive had is the prime dac is a bit choosey with tramsports it works brilliantly with The Sony Zx507, NW-A105 but struggle ti connect with my other android Daps eg the fiio M11pro, shanling M3X, m6Ultra, hiby R5 11, R6 111 even my Samsung S S24ULTRA wont make connection.

2 Likes

Do you notice any coloration/thickening in the low end with any of your IEMs, compared to from your other sources?

Not really its seems to have an effect of separating the bass and mid bass frequencies giving more room in those area to breathe

Thanks for sharing your impressions! I find with the TSMR-X that the VE stack seems to thicken the bass/mid-bass. It’s nice in some scenarios, but with others (e.g. busy bass tracks with rolling kick-drums + bass guitar) it makes things a bit muddy. Noticed it first when A/Bing it against a friend’s chifi desktop amp.

Overall I’m liking it though, especially when I want that extra warmth. It might be less colored with other IEMs/headphones though, ones that are less sensitive to source changes (e.g. output impedance).

Ive not tried it with my TSMR X will have a go ive mainly used it with the project M and Pilgrim

1 Like

A busy weekend finishing off reviews my impressions of the
Shozy MXN
Pros: 1.Very Comfortable
2.Warm signature
3,Carry case
4,Good build quality

Cons: 1.Non-detachable cable
2.Sub Bass is rolled off

I’d just like to say upfront I believe we are all biased when giving our subjective thoughts about flat head ear buds be it a particular type of signature that works with our music library or how a flathead looks and feels in our ears. On the subject of ears everyone’s ear anatomy is different and this effects fit which in turn effects the perception of bass response so I recommend finding the right shell shape and foamsor silicone guides that suit your ears to get the best of any flat head most can be used hanging down or over ear.

My review star ratings are linked to the price range of the flathead eg a 5 star review of a $10 iem is not equal to one of a $300 flat head.

I’m and audio enthusiast with a collection of over 200 iems, 30 different sources with a music collection that numbers over 100,000 tracks and 15 flathead buds I share my impressions as a way to share my enthusiasm for the hobby I approach from the premise of music first technology 2nd, what does this mean? For me it means not are the technicalities prime importance but does the music move with this particular item.

I’m a connoisseur of many different sound signatures. The only prerequisite is musicality I’m not a fan of analytical cold playback. My scale of success when it comes to evaluating iems is do I get goosebumps when they playback my favourite tunes.

Disclaimer
Penon Audio was kind enough to send me a sample set of the Shoxy MXN to review. I am not affiliated with Penon Audio and of course was not asked for any copy checking before publishing, they are seeing this the same time as you. All pictures taken be me or. ALL opinions shared in this review are my subjective thoughts.

Available on the Penon store

SPECIFICATIONS

• Driver configuration: 15.4 mm dynamic driver

• Frequency response: 18 Hz - 22 kHz

• Impedance: 32 Ω

• Sensitivity: 110 dB

• Cable: non-detachable option off 4.4MM BALANCED or 3.5mm SE

• $49.90 USD

ACCESSORIES

1. Carrying case

2. Red high-density full foams

3. Black medium-density full foams

4. Blue low-density full foams

5. Donut foams

The provided accessories are excellent for a sub-$50 USD flathead packaging, .

There are 4 types of foam pads. The red full foams are the most dense, giving the most warmth and enhance bass.

The blue ones are are the thinnest foams, they decrease bass but add some brightness.

The blacks ones are somewhere in the middle

Then there’s the donut foams, which enhance the midrange which makes the bass less prominent. Its best to try all the foam options to find which you prefer.

The cable is quite the thin, with n tangle-free braiding. I didn’t notice any microphonics, the chin cinch actually works . You can opt for a 3.5 mm or 4.4 mm termination when ordering I went with the 4.4mm to suit my sources.

BUILD/COMFORT

The MXN uses the MX500 shell type, and is made from a good quality plastic. I found the shell extremely comfortable and was able to wear them all day without and problems I used the donut foams for the review as they provided the most balanced sound signature for my tastes.

The Driver is a 15.4mm good quality dynamic driver which I found relatively easy to drive although sources with more power did seem to improve the experience

I tested the Shozy MXN with the following sources:

• Cayin RU6

• Shanling H2

• Fiio M15

• Onix Alpha XI 1

• Venture Electronics Runabout + Prime DAC

• Shanling M6 Ultra

• Sony NW-WM1A

• Cayin N3 Ultra

SOUND

The Shozy MXN has a pleasing warm signature where the mids are the centre of attention . Even with the donut foams the Shozy MXN is a warm earphone so I eschewed the other foam options.

With most earbuds, there is a sub-bass roll-off, this is the case with the MXN but the mid-bass is punchy with decent texture that doesn’t bleed into the mids too much just enough to warm the mids. There’s enough detail in the bass to provide a very enjoyable listen when listening to classic rock and 80’s syth pop.

Midrange is the star of the show, the only words I can think of to describe the mids and that’s lush, smooth snd sweet. Vocals are natural with superb timbre if you want to listen to vocal centric songs like folk or Americana this is the bud for you.

The treble is smooth without any form of sibilance in fact it’s a bit on the dark side without much shimmer or sparkle I’m in the camp where when using buds I prefer it darker than peaky and sibilant so its ideal for me tastes. The MXN is analogue organic and one of the buds I would reach for to listen to my Americana library for hours and be completely satisfied.

When coming from the world of iem’s the $49 MXN would be ultra budget but in the world of flathead buds its considered midfi. So within my experience of buds the MXN is on the top end of the option available for under $100 the Soundstage is wide, much wider than I get from much more expensive in ear iems, this is for me the major advantage of flat head buds over iem’s.

COMPARISONS

Shozy Cygnus

The Cygnus is a less warm earbud, with more airy mids than the MXN. It has
Better micro-detailing and soundstage, but with higher levels of imaging. But these differences come at the expense of musicality. While the Cygnus is technically superior it also costs twice as much and I find it less engaging for my music library.

DUNU Alpha 3

The Dunu Alpha 3 definitely has a brighter tuning, with much less bass. The Alpha 3 has a slight metallic timbre with a more digital sound compared to the analogue organic MXN. This Alpha 3 does have a more detailed treble presentation but that detail comes at the expense of sibilance. If you are wanting a more analytical bud the Alpha 3 might be the better option. the Shozy MXN works better for pop and classic rock while the Alpha 3 would be more appropriate for classical music. The build of the alpha 3 is metal so can lead to fatigue as there’s a noticeable difference in weight.

CONCLUSION
If you want a bud for all day listening fatigue free, with lush musical mids with really intoxicating timbre and very natural engaging vocals the MXN is an ideal bud for the collection. Would I have preferred a detachable cable? Sure but for $49 its hard to quibble.

2 Likes

ISN NEO 3

A Galaxy in your ears

Pros:
1,Bass
2. Natural timbre
Smooth non fatiguing treble
3. Build quality
4.Beautiful faceplates
5. Good accessories
Cons:
1.Not for treble heads
2. Not for bass phobic people
3.Cable not the best synergy
4. Can’t really find much to gripe about

I’d just like to say upfront I believe we are all biased when giving our subjective thoughts about IEMs be it a particular type of signature that works with our music library or how an IEM looks and feels in our ears. On the subject of ears everyone’s ear anatomy is different and this effects fit and seal which in turn effects the perception of bass response so I recommend finding the right ear tips that suit your ears to get the best of any IEM.

My review star ratings are linked to the price range of the iem eg a 5 star review of a $100 iem is not equal to one of a $500 iem.

I’m and audio enthusiast with a collection of over 200 iems, 30 different sources with a music collection that numbers over 100,000 tracks and 15 flathead buds I share my impresseions as a way to share my enthusiasm for the hobby I approach from the premise of music first technology 2nd, what does this mean? For me it means not are the technicalities prime importance but does the music move with this particular item.

I’m a connoisseur of many different sound signatures. The only prerequisite is musicality I’m not a fan of analytical cold playback. My scale of success when it comes to evaluating iems is do I get goosebumps when they playback my favourite tunes. There are many good iems but do they give me goosebumps? Unfortunately I have a draw full of just good iems.

I want the iem that I reach for without thinking because I instinctively know it will bring the thrill I’m seeking from my music. The Neo 3’s bass and mids coming from the double DD’s gave me the same goosebumps from the first few bars of the Michael Shenker Groups track “Rock me to the Ground” the swinging bass and big drums literally making the hair stand up on my arms as the NEO5s had when I was using them. Its clear that ISN’s super power is their ability to tune drivers to get the most out of them and give the wonderful house sound of big bass and stunning mids.

I have a love hate history with Planar drivers there speed and ability to provide great technicalities I like but the way they produce bass has always left me feeling something is missing ISN’s master stroke of combining 2 Dynamic drivers handling the bass and mids with a 5.8mm planar dealing with treble frequencies, you get the best of the strengths of both driver types20240707_165218~2.jpg
I favour Dynamic Drivers for bass the tactility of the drums ISN using 2 6mm Dynamic Drivers in this small iem one handling the bass giving great sub bass mid bass the other supplying those silky smooth mids is very important to my enjoyment. Instruments sound anologue, natural and smooth Planars just don’t give me the organic feel of analogue instruments in the lower frequencies so Im very pleased to see they are handling the treble frequency range here and they perform admirably in providing the very natural sparkling treble. I didn’t detect any planar timbre which really shows how well tuned this iem is.

ISN is a brand under the umbrella of Penon this is not my first ISN iem, I recently received and reviewed the NEO 5 which I really enjoy I do own a couple of Penon. The Fan2 and 10th Anniversary, so I was very interested to see how the ISN Neo 3 performed compared to these iems that are loved by the the community and myself.

Disclaimer
ISN was kind enough to send me a sample set of THE Neo 3 to review. I am not affiliated with ISN and of course was not asked for any copy checking before publishing, they are seeing this the same time as you. All pictures taken be me or taken from the PENON website. ALL opinions shared in this review are my subjective thoughts.

Make sure to research any iem before you buy!

The Neo 3 retails at $199 which for this configuration is extremely competitive

Details from the Penon website

ISN Audio NEO 3 1 Planar Driver + 2 Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm HiFi Audiophile IEMS

Description

ISN Audio NEO series, different tuning style

Medical grade resin material, light and beautiful, comfortable to wear.

3 drivers hybrid earphone

Specifications

Brand: ISN AUDIO NEO Series

Model: NEO 3

Drivers:1 Planar Driver + 2 Dynamic Driver

1 x 5.8mm planar driver for high frequency

1 x 6mm dynamic driver for middle frequency

1 x 6mm dynamic driver for low frequency

Impedance: 15ohm

Sensitivity: 105dB

Frequency response: 10Hz-20kHz

Connector: 2pin 0.78mm

Cable : 8 strands , 19 cores per strand OCC wire

Cable length: 1.2M

The frequency graph for those who like those sort of things

The Neo 3 is a beautiful 3 driver HYBRID iem, small and perfectly formed they disappear in the ear. Which is very impressive with the driver count. A solid blue resin shell with a beautiful galaxy od stars shimmering in a deep blue background with a metal nozzle which really helps with fitment of eartips. I’m reviewing with the included cable which while being a nice quality cable it does hold the NEO 3 back when paired with a better quality cable like the ISN C2, H2, or S2 they all improve on the separation of the frequencies giving a more specious presentation while adding more texture and detail to the bass and mids.

What do they sound like?

Around the hifi forums I’ve heard the description “Fun” in relation to this IEM, to me, fun means the iem I reach for, when I want to really enjoy my music. Something that releases the full scope of what the artist created in the studio. The Neo 3 certainly does that with that special something. The cohesion of the drivers ensuring to there’s no jarring transition between the frequency range. Neo 3 is unabashedly a warm bass driven signature, bass is textured, dynamic and layered, digging out details . The mids are slightly warm so they do colour the vocals slightly adding body to males voval and female alike but not so much to effect the natural timbre of the vocals . The vocals don’t take a slight step back they are there front and centre with instruments placed exactly where they should be showing depth to the stage with natural unforced width. Hybrids can have coherence issues the Neo 5 sounds like a single driver no trace of Planar timbre just everything working together as one.

What do I mean by unforced width? Some IEMs give an impression of super wide stage which sounds unnatural throwing instrument placement off.

The mids are natural and organic slightly warm with just enough edge to add excitement to vocals and guitars causing me to be drawn into the music, A very engaging musical experience which ISN and Penon seem to excel at.

The Transition from upper mids to lower treble is boosted slightly but still sibilance free, even with songs that have siblence bult into the recordeing.
While the overall signature is slightly in the darker realm there’s still lots of detail. The upper treble has a pleasing amount of air and sparkle, without straying into fatigue levels.

The timbre of drums, strings, guitars and brass instruments is natural. Vocals both male and female are reproduced authentically , if a voice has gravel you feel it. Pure female vocals like Joni Mitchell are imbued with emotion and sweet rounded clarity making an overall very satisfying vocals experience very similar to the NEO 5.

The sound signature as a whole is of big bass with warm clear clean mids with a little edge in the treble, an overall satisfying feeling of immersion in the music.

When I’m evaluating IEMs I have a play list of roughly 100 songs of mixed genres. With the ISN NEO 3 I again, like the NEO 5, I found myself listening to songs rather than analysing the different frequency ranges listening to albums in their entirety just loosing myself in the music. I found they worked across most genres both smooth and aggressive. I don’t listen to much EDM preferring real instruments playing together as a unit.

Muse - 2nd Law album sounded Immense with thunderous bass. Matt Bellamys voice was crystalline with a little extra warmth bringing more depth to the vocals along with the searing guitar enhanced by the planar speed a very exciting experience.

Lorde - Royals with its throbbing and droning subass really digging deep with great effect her higher range voice sibilance free again with alittle added warmth.

Joni Mitchell – Blue, the acoustic guitar sounding detailed with the strings resonance reproduced well. Joni’s vocals can sound a bit shrill on lesser iems not here the added warmth and roundness to her upper register was very pleasing.

Steely Dan’s - Aja, one of the best produced albums in my opinion was played with musical deftness’, hi-hats and cymbals were natural with excellent decay staging was good with height, depth and width enabling me to pick out instruments in the mix, the added warmth on this album did feel slightly less open than the NEO 5 but it was still very enjoyable.

Michael Schenker Group – Rock Me to the ground this is one of my favourites the big swinging bass line with powerful drums starting the song, then the gravely shout of Graham Bonnet comes screaming through as the guitars are take over. The Neo 3 llike the NEO 5 nails this with aplomb genuinely causing the hairs of my neck stand to attention. The added warmth worked really well here on the 1980’s dry production style giving a sense of a more “real” organic presentation.

Peter Gabriel - live album with the New Blood Orchestra. The full orchestra reproduced with clarity but had less separation than the NEO 5 but still managed to place me in the front row and centre of the stage with the strings having slightly less air but Gabriel’s voice was still intimate and detailed.

Lady Black Bird - Blackbird the subtleties of the interplay between vocals and instruments are played well, her voice warm and intoxicating. The space around the components of the song is decent but not outstanding. Black acid Soul is superb Acid jazz/soul mix produced and mastered to perfection and the Neo 3 does a good job of drawing you into the music with a great sense in intimacy.

Iron Maiden -Rhyme of the ancient Mariner - the dynamics of this track are a little dulled still reproduced with pin point accuracy , I did perceive slight congestion in the guitars, bass and drums lacking a little finesse Bruce’s vocals were still on point and unveiled just good headbanging fun

The Neo3 is very easy to drive for an iem with a planar and I had no issues using them with Daps, Dongles.

They sounded good with my cooler less coloured sources. This is not an iem that needs an expensive source but it does scale impressively.
I’m not a fan of analytical sounding IEMs that force details into your ears like a photograph with HDR and sharpening set at max a decidedly digital representation. I’m more Vinyl on a turntable, Leica manual focus, sumptuous colours on kodak colour gold film, kinda guy, where if you look really close all the details are there but it’s the whole image you appreciate rather than just how sharp it is. The Neo 3 gives me this feeling with the Hiby R6 111, Cayin N3 Ultra the best it was a little too warm with the Sony NW-WMIA and Shanling M6Ultra

Sources used:
IBasso dx170
Shanling H5
Shanling M6 Ultra
Sony Zx507
Sony Nw-WM1A
HiBy R6 111
HiBy R8
HiBy RS2

ONIX Alpha X1
CAYIN N3PRO
CAYIN RU6
IFI GO BLUE
FIIO BTR7
FIIO M15

Conclusion

The upto $200 range is full of great sounding iems with more released it seems on a weekly basis the Neo 3 competes admirably, with it’s fun and exciting sound signature. The size and design of the shell does help its move up the ranks as I found it one of the most comfortable iems on the market. The Neo 3 while being less technically adept than the NEO 5 I kinda enjoy it more especially with classic rock and jazz it’s an iem that wraps you up in a cosy blanket that make the hours slip away.

2 Likes

Blue is the Colour
Pros: 1.Newest ISN 6N OCC based cables
2.Good quality materials
3.Comfortable budget for replacement cables
4.Inter-changeable modular terminations
5.Quality aluminium plugs, pins and splitter
6.Attractive blue sleeves

Cons: 1.No earhooks
2.Friction fit Not locking modular terminations
3.Recessed 2 pin (I prefer standard 2pin which is often found on ISN and Penon cables)

I’m a cable believer, I came to this from the position of, I noticed different cables had different synergies with iems before I was really aware of the hobby and the controversies surrounding cables. If you don’t hear a difference great that’s your right to dismiss the following review. If you do read on.

I’d just like to say upfront I believe we are all biased when giving our subjective thoughts about cables be it a particular type of cable materiel that works with our iems or how it looks and feels . On the subject of ears everyone’s ear anatomy is different and this effects fit. For me an ear hook is essential for a comforatbe and stable fit. When talking about cables were are discussing nuances, very small changes to the sound of an iem. No cable will “fix” a bad iem what they do achieve for me is to enhance a good iem sometimes to the point of me thinking it’s a great one.

A cable is just one part of the audio chain, earips and sources do make a more significant contribution to shaping the output of an iem but and it’s a big but, for me, the last 5% to 10% that a good cable synergy brings can mean the difference between an iem staying in its box or being part of my daily rotation. I’m not going to write a lot of flowery audiophile words about how a cable effects every instrument for me it’s about the changes in ambience, wether the bottom end is beefed up or the treble smoothed.

My review star ratings are linked to the price range of the cable a 5 star review of a $10 cable is not equal to one of a $300 cable.

I’m and audio enthusiast with a collection of over 200 iems, 30 different sources, 300 cables with a music collection that numbers over 100,000 tracks and 15 flathead buds
I share my impresseions as a way to share my enthusiasm for the hobby I approach from the premise of music first technology 2nd, what does this mean? For me it means the technicalities are not of prime importance, its does the music move with this particular item.

Disclaimer
ISN was kind enough to send me a sample set of the H2, C2, S2 to review. I am not affiliated with ISN and of course was not asked for any copy checking before publishing, they are seeing this the same time as you. All pictures taken be me.
ALL opinions shared in this review are my subjective thoughts.
The cables for today evaluation are as follows

ISN H2

An Hybrid 2 cable adds a touch more perceived bass using silver slightly expand the staging of the cable inc with the NEO3.

ISN C2

The Copper cable adds a touch more warmth even smoothing out the overall signature of the NEO 3 COMPARED to the inc cable I wasn’t a fan of this with the neo 3 but could see it being very favourable with a cooler more analytical iem

ISN S2

The Silver 2 cable has a brightening effect opening up the imaging of the NEO 3 this was by far my favourite combination with the NEO 3

The above mini evaluation is pretty much what I experienced with all my experiments with all the different iem’s listed below.

Kiwi ears Quintet

The ideal comination was with the C2 the added warmth and smoothing effect really helped with the Quintets spicy treble bring an overall warmth to the signature. Don’t think its going to completely change the sound signature, I’m talking about subtle nuances enough to make me able to listen longer with this great iem.

Penon Fan2

The Fan 2 is a wonderful little iem that I believe to be one of the best bang for buck choices out there the H2 was the standout cable combination here though the C2 was close both seemed to enhance the bass presentation without mudding up the mids allowing the treble to breathe the H2 just pulled ahead with its ability to give more air to the upper mids and treble. The H2has found its permanent partner with the Fan2 especially as it a perfect colour match and lets be real, aesthetics are just as important as sound when it comes to iem/cable combinations.

Penon 10th AE

Now this iem has bean a bit of a journey for me at first I found it quite a bit too warm and not really dynamic enough for my tastes. This is where experimentation with cables and tips really helps with adapting an iems signature to your personal preferences. You’re probably already aware of where I’m heading here, yes the S2 worked its magic really opening up the sound adding tighter more authoritive bass presentation. The mids were brightened sounding more open really improving my enjoyment of them. The treble this is where the S2s super power was unleashed the ESTs reacted with such vigor to the S2 it was like I was hearing the 10th AE as it should be heard with beautiful extension the treble sparkling. A real winning combination, also another lovely asthetic combo.

Ergonomics

All three cables are a little stiff which for me and my ears did cause a little issue that would have been solved with ear hooks. Over all they are reasonably manageable cable neither too thin nor too thick. The modular terminations are a good tight friction fit with 3.5mm Se, 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced giving all the available options for use with all sources really making this a very versatile set of cables

Aesthetics

All three are sleeved with the same blue coating only the colour of the cable material slightly changing the shade. The 2pin and modular terminations are utilitarian in appearance being black plastic for the 2 pin and a carbon fibre decoration to the splitter and modular end.

Conclusion

At the price point these 3 cables are its difficult not to give a full recommendation. They would be an ideal starting point for building a good selection of cables with quality build, materials,and aesthetics being a good step up from most cables included with midfi iems and also a level above the budget offerings from the likes of NiceHCK or others on AliExpress. Especially with the modular terminations

2 Likes

Had a chance to try this yet, A/B against some of your other reference sources?

Which item are you referring to?

Ah sorry, the post I replied to re: tsmr x and the VE stack. Peacock obscura reviews - #11 by Andy_Pickard