Photography (advice, tips&tricks or simply to show off your photoskills with/without audio gear)

OHHHH, thats a good method.

I wonder how iem pictures would look with a mirror under it. :thinking:

Some iPhone snaps of life on and around the K&A canal…

10 Likes

Little and large…

7 Likes

Nobody has mentioned the problem I struggle with the most - keep it clean. No not that sort of clean; dust!

Fingerprints are also annoying.

5 Likes

Focal Clear Pro MG

6 Likes

OMG, it’s amazing to think they both go in your ears. The Z1R appears at least 3 times the size of the P1!

1 Like

Great captures!

1 Like

Macro practice with my new headphone.

7 Likes

I took out my dslr from the dust abyss:

4 Likes

BHC

SW51+

5 Likes

Hi guys,

I am still relatively new to this forum. Sometimes it is a bit overwhelming with how many topics there are for me to jump in and start a conversation like I do on a couple other forums.

However, I saw this topic and thought I would jump in as I have been a professional photographer since 2007 and have been taking photos for over 30 years. If you guys want any tips or tricks, gear questions, or you are having a hard time with something, I will do my best to help!

10 Likes

Hey buddy welcome aboard and thanks for the offer of photography tricks and tips here on HFGF :smiley:

I like your content on the Headphone Community Forum which is always informative and well written :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you so much @Ohmboy I appreciate it!!!

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile:

If I can ask anything, I would love if you could criticize photos I am posting. I’m by no way a photographer and I think I could just benefit from any constructive criticism, I would not take any of it personally as I am 100% aware of how I don’t know anything really about it.

Thank you in advance and sorry if it’s a too big to ask thing.

Enjoy the forum, I am new too and I am finding it really good.

2 Likes

Alright, so lets break down some things, and @MRHifiReviews feel free to chime in
Its a bit long but it the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this kind of stuff

Good use of backdrop - You did great but using the keyboard as a background, the light does add in terms of depth to the picture but two major notes on that.

1. you might want to change colors from time to time, depending on the colors of the IEM itself
  2. like you did in the later photos, try to keep the backdrop blurry instead of people being able to make out its a keyboard, unless you are creating a “scene” like a real-life scenario instead of a more “product shot.”

Angle - You made good use of framing, making sure, for the most part that the IEMs were well placed and filled the shot rather well. But the angel is a bit too high, a lot of “creative” and also “flat” (creative meaning other the white background, and flat meaning a flat plain white background) normally shoot at eye level (meaning the camera is the same high as the subject)or slightly above, you did it in the earlier shot you showed, but the backdrop was too visible).

shooting from above is a bit too “far” and analytical feeling, so keep trying a see what works for you.
If you want to go low, there are some cases where you shoot below eye level, but that’s normally what is called a “Hero” angle, its basically makes everything look bigger and more grandiose.

Lighting - Now this is something extremely complex particularly in product photography (In school, i spent around 5 and a half hours photographing a ham sandwich to really nail it, it’s pain ). but ill give you a couple of general things to work on to help you break down that sort of issue).
There are 3 major types of lights in photography.

• Key light - Keylight is lighting the key features of your subject
  • Main light - Light that lights the whole scene giving a general tone to the picture
  • Rim light - lighting the edges of a subject to empathize it’s features, normally the shape/curves

Now you don’t have to have all 3, and sometimes 1 light is all you need but breaking it down helps a lot in figuring out what works and what doesn’t in a picture.

Let’s take this shot as an example.

there are three light sources, two acting as a rim light, one acting as the main and key light. The rim is 2 led strips, each one in a different color, lighting main the sides of the headphone to show the size, shape, and smaller details on the sides. The main light is light most of the headphone but also the white wall and the table.

For the most part, you want your rim lights slightly stronger than your main light because they are lighting a small area, and they are meant to make things “pop.”

Best advice I can give you about lighting trial and error, grab a light, ANY LIGHT, doesn’t have to be anything special, and just move it around the IEMs look what makes you think it look the best, then break down why you think it does what it does.

Photography is very similar to the sound in that, its taste base, but there are certain basics that you can learn that will guide you through to find what you like

4 Likes

Wow, thank you very much. That’s great answer, makes me want to experiment now.

Much appreciated.

NP, and feel free to experiment its half the fun :slight_smile:

Thank you. This is exactly what I wanted for this thread. Keep it coming! :+1:

Please judge this picture of mine:

(Fiio FD5, taken with a LG G7 + macro lens adapter)

1 Like