Photography (advice, tips&tricks or simply to show off your photoskills with/without audio gear)

This thread is for people wanting to discuss about photography, it can be advice on how to take better photos and also to show off your gear.

Please name the gear you take photos of btw.

My tips for iem users wanting to take closeup shots but doesnt have a macro lens. To simply get a macro lens adapter, they can be bought on aliexpress for around 10 usd.

(Fiio FD5, taken with a macro lens adapter on the LG G7)

Got a black iem but also a black table (which would mean bad contrast)? Easy, just take 2 or more sheets of paper and place it on the table:

(Dunu Zen)

5 Likes

Here are some of my favorite photos I’ve taken

ZMF Aeolus

Theiaudio L5

Mangird Tea

Thieaudio Monarch & Clairvoiance

5 Likes

What headphones is that?

I added a note to state the name of the gear for photos btw, it should be helpful I think.

1 Like

ZMF Aeolus.

I can list the names of the products if that’s helpful?

1 Like

Yeah, that is helpful since not everyone will know what gear is in the picture, unlike us nerds lol.

1 Like

You can say that again. I have a new subject coming in tomorrow hopefully, (Focal Clear MG Pro) to play with my Macro and see what it can do. Will post my photos here.

1 Like

Headphones are harder to take macro pics though. You will probably get better results from the normal camera. As always, lighting is nr 1 priority.

1 Like

Dont know if anyone has tried this:
https://www.amazon.com/Emart-Photography-Portable-Studio-Shooting/dp/B07922MDPG

But it should help with ligthing.
(I dont have one though.)

1 Like

I fancied myself becoming a product photographer after I was shown the door from my IT job. You’d be easily forgiven for thinking that product work with inanimate objects might be easier than shooting people. In my research (and ankle-deep experimentation) it’s deceptively more difficult to get pro level results in product photography. Maybe more “difficult” isn’t the right term but it sure as hell seems like it can require a greater volume of work to produce a product shot of equal quality to a comparable portrait of a person.

2 Likes

Oh, sounds like you might know more than I do then.

Any advice on how to take better iem pictures?

I already know lighting is very important, but sometimes I cant avoid the shadow getting in the way somehow

1 Like

To be honest, it’s been a while since I threw in the towel so I’ve emptied a lot of the details from my memory.

One good YouTube channel I can recommend is called ‘workphlo’ from a photographer named Dustin Dolby. IMO he walks a the line quite admirably between creating work that aims for true pro quality but doing so with gear that normal people either have or at least might consider getting if they’re serious even at a hobby level.

For a peek at what’s involved with a commercial level shoot of a piece of jewelry, check out this video from Tony Roslund.

2 Likes

These are fun videos for some ideas for product shots.

You can get pro quality at budget levels if your willing to be creative and anal about things. Pro equipment makes things easier and more reliable in my experience but can always make do with less.

I like more natural looking shots so I gravitate towards natural lighting so I look for a window that gets nice diffused lighting and I build my scene or setup around that light source. I bounce light with a sheet of paper or white foam board if needed or possible. It can get you some nice shadow accents and highlights. It depends on how you like your shots though I guess.

Like audio, photography can be seen objectively and subjectively so pick your poison on how you like things to look and get everything looking right before you press the shutter and adjust from there.

One other tip I’ve heard of that might help is to use a cloudy overcast day to diffuse natural outdoor lighting. It helps reduce glare on shiny surfaces. It’s what some car photographers do I believe.

2 Likes

Don’t really shoot products, im normally a Boudoir/Portrait photographer
Im working on a side project and here are a few images of one of the headphones.

BTW keep in mind that a lot of youtube is a bit problematic, you are better off looking at foodbloogers, its a much more down to earth approach for folks just getting into this. for 2 main reasons

1. Gear, photographers have DSLR/mirrorless which costs a few thosund grand, or even like in one of the videos a medium format camera (which cost 10K+ just for the body). i spent around 15K i think overall on my gear.

2.Previous knowledge - while it isn’t hard to learn a lot of this stuff, tutorials that deal in a highly technical type of photography like product photography need a fair amount of experience and know-how . that doesn’t mean you can learn but there is a pretty steep curve in some cases.

6 Likes

BTW if anyone has any photography questions feel free to hit me up
https://www.instagram.com/to.be.simply.me/
P.s. I’m not sharing other stuff since i don’t know the forum’s policy on my type of photography

2 Likes

Cool thread.

ZMF Auteur

3 Likes

I :heart: :heart: :heart: this guy’s audiophile photography

5 Likes

Sundara

Before

After - Quick photoshop lol :rofl:

6 Likes

Took this here a while ago for a photography class at uni:

Lego-fig on a small mirror surrounded by mostly wrinkle free alu foil under a makeshift softbox (wire and paper):

Same fig, comparing “Softbox” (augmented with an OLED-ish panel) vs direct light source:

What I found to work extremely well as backdrop is poster sized cardboard in various colors. Or cloth of various kind.

Concerning getting good pictures of flat-ish things, watch this video:

TL;DR DIY miniature soft-box

6 Likes

Just two shots of P1, taken with S10+, and bit of light room play.

I got a DSLR camera with couple of lenses, I hope taking few shots later when got some time. I forgot how I used to like playing with photography. And some headphones I have are really nicely looking, they deserve some shots.

5 Likes

And one with more blueish color, composing better with red background i guess.
Also less overdone in terms of colours.

4 Likes