šŸ”¶ FiiO FD5 Flagship Single dynamic driver

Awesome, you learn as you go. :+1:

1 Like

3 Likes

Looks great.

An advice to you would be to take the image without the cable in the background, so the camera doesnt have to figure out what to focus on lol.

Also, experiment with different lighting and different places to get the best lighting. Since lighting is one of the most importatn aspect of taking good pics.

Another tip for when you take a macro pic on a black/darker iem, is to place like 3 sheets of paper under the iem (helps the contrast if the table is black).

Here is how it looks like with paper under the Dunu Zen.

Beautiful! Yeah, I have a lot to learn. Thanks!

1 Like

Is there a thread for gear photography?

There is now :smirk:

4 Likes

I know thereā€™s a thread now, but canā€™t stop myself posting FD5 here :slight_smile:

Had no natural light unfortunately, woke up at 4AM and only monitorā€™s light was available :joy:

4 Likes

Yes, the Reference/Silver did the job for me.

1 Like

Why not use the mechanism that jvc uses, unless it proprietary ip I think its superior than screwing a nozzle on.

It has being two weeks since I received my FD5 and I am really loving them, even without burning in they sound fantastic for my ears. Compared to my other IEMs (BGVP DMG, Tape Pro and Tin T2 Plus) the FD5 itā€™s on a whole other level in every category. Now I am thinking in getting the Mangird Tea (to be my Hybrid IEM), does anyone here have the Mangird and can compare it to the FD5?

@Resolution Got both.

1 Like

I do.

You are correct sir!

What would you like to know?

EDIT: Iā€™m actually afraid of this comparison. :cry:

1 Like

haha Why Afraid?

I want to know the difference in sound signature between this two IEMs and if itĀ“s worthy to have both, also what is the biggest differences between this two.

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

UGHā€¦ Why afraid? The Mangird Tea has magic I canā€™t explain. Especially at its price point. But Iā€™ll tryā€¦

The Mangird Tea is in the same tuning category as the Thieaudio Monarch and the Legacy. They are all neutral with a sub bass boost (sub bass focused). Before the Mangird Tea, I preferred a smoother transition from the sub bass, into the bass and then mids. The Mangird Tea defined how much clarity can come from shaving those mid-bass frequencies out yet while retaining a sub bass punch with such a drastic sub bass shelf.

The Mangird also changed my preferences when it comes to treble. I used to not care much about treble, (as long as it wasnā€™t painful or sibilant I was happy). The Mangird Tea used to be right at the limit for what I was comfortable for brightness.

Out of all the IEMs Iā€™ve heard and own, The Mangird Tea has taught me the most about my own preferences because I just canā€™t ignore it. Every time I pop it into my ears, Iā€™m shocked at how good it is.

I consider the Monarch to be the big brother of the Mangird Tea. It builds on the Mangird Teaā€™s tuning and is an improvement in technical abilities, but in the end, itā€™s still not a night and day difference between them, and for only $300 dollars, the Mangird Tea hits far above itā€™s asking price.

The Mangird Tea has been kinda my dirty little secret I donā€™t talk about much. Itā€™s mineā€¦ My precious.

The Fiio IEMs are completely different especially the FD5. Itā€™s the polar opposite almost. It is the warm fuzzy blanket, technically very fast with fantastic timbre. Very cohesive and intimate.

The Mangid Tea is a 1 DD 7 ba set with impeccably clean tuning with a very enjoyable sub bass kick that rumbles while the other frequencies come through crystal clear. The Mangird Tea has a wider/holographic soundstage with very good imaging, separation and detail from all the different drivers. The FH7 would be the most similar Fiio hybrid to the Mangird Tea. And even then, they are still quite different.

You can see how mid forward the bass into the mid curve on the FD5 is, but because the driver is beryllium, the FD5 can get away with this and not sound muddy. You can also see where the FD5 can be fatiguing in the treble at 4.5K to 9K. The Mangird is a neutral with sub bass focus tuning while the FD5 is more V shaped in comparison.

6 Likes

Wait, does the Tea have a bigger soundstage than the FD5?

1 Like

I dunno if Iā€™d call it bigger. I havenā€™t directly compared them. I listen to the Monarch more than anything anymore and I consider the Mangird Tea to be a mini Monarch (it literally is). The Monarchā€™s soundstage and imaging is in my opinion the best out of all my IEMs.

For me, hybrids do image separation better than single DDs. I equate it to multiple drivers making up different frequencies. Literally from different sources within 1 IEM. But the FH5 is more cohesive but that equates to less image separation.

Honestlyā€¦ I donā€™t even want to do this comparison. I tried. I spelled out the differences I hear, but I donā€™t want to get into actual preferences. Between these IEMs, I go both ways. Iā€™m bi. :crazy_face:

Iā€™ll tell you thisā€¦ Thereā€™s a reason BGGAR rates the Mangird Tea sooo highly on his ranking list.

2 Likes

yeah, generally multi driver iems are more technical than single DD. So it is true that it wouldnt be a surprise if the Tea did have a bigger soundstage than the FD5. BUT the FD5 is ventedā€¦that is almost cheating lol.

1 Like

For a hybrid IEM, the Mangird Tea has one of the best soundstages (almost holographic with certain music) and has image separation competing with the Monarch but then the Monarch is more than double its price and incorporates two electrostats for the mids and treble.

Although the Legacy 5 is tuned similarly to the Mangird Tea, it is warmer and doesnā€™t have the detail the Mangird Tea has. The Mangird subbass is better textured and hits slightly harder. Both are quite similar but I do prefer the Mangird Tea.

1 Like

I would have been interested in the Tea if the size wasnt that big. It is most likely too big for meā€¦ :sob:

1 Like

The Tea is tiny. The Monarch is HUGE! Youā€™re probably thinking of the ISN H40?