Planar recommendation strictly for music?

Hey there guys, so I have been slowly working on a small collection of headphones if you been talking to me lately. I am now honestly looking for a Planar for strictly music as I really enjoy that slam style you get from this type of driver. If possible I would like it to compliment my other two headphones Nighthawk Carbon and DT 1990 250 ohms. I have a few coming in but I am unsure at the moment as to if I will be okay with them. Current ones arriving Aeon Open X Massdrop, Pm-50 Andoveraudio, Edition XX Hifiman Massdrop, and a new copy of the Sundara which due to information on my other post I plan to try pad swapping(had to buy a new one since my last two broke kinda made me mad and I got refunded on both of them this time around its a refurbished so I don’t think I should have that problem… i hope). Looking for other possible alternatives and open to suggestions while I wait on these to arrive in the case of my just not liking these(it’s possible since I am pretty damn picky haha) or deciding perhaps the one I do like is a tad bit to expensive. Maximum $500 ideally less than that prices for used can count here as I can use Head-Fi and other sources and seems to be the best thing to do… Amp and Dac are liquid spark and topping d10

2 Likes

I mean it kinda sounds like you got it covered, and I would hold off on looking for more right away tbh. I would wait until you get all those in, pick your favorite, and if you are looking for more afterwords, take your experiences and come back here with what you enjoyed and didn’t enjoy from your listening. I don’t really think it’s worthwhile to just shotgun different headphones and hope one hits at this point, with more experience and information, you can get a feel for what you would want yourself imo. You have some great headphones coming in, and even if you happened to dislike all of them greatly (unlikely), you can still use those experiences to help find what you would really like out of a headphone

5 Likes

Yeah, I just figured create this just incase I may have overlooked one that was just absolutely incredible at a cheap price point. That and I always looked for headphones to emphasize on gaming not so much just music. Fully plan to sit down for a bit and test the ones coming in. Of course after I get them and sit down with them for a couple days (other than the edition xx these all deliver friday) I will decide from there What I liked and disliked and post on here.

1 Like

I get that, but even if you did find something that interested you at this point, you really don’t want to have too many things in at once. Imo you really can’t really fully judge a headphone in a few days, you want to give yourself more time with each headphone

2 Likes

Eh I guess so, Only really need to sit down with the nighthawk right now outside of whats already comin in. guess it’s time to sit down for a bit

1 Like

Yea man. If you really didn’t like the Sundaras / don’t like the headphones that come after you might have to think about spending a lot more on the planars. For instance, my dream planar is the LCD-3 rn, but imma make do with the PM-50s/Sundaras until further notice, even though I know what their flaws are. Whenever one gets on my nerves I’m committed to switching to the other for a bit, since they complement each other really well imo.

Also, I wish I could try all those headphones out in a short period of time :slight_smile:. Am just a little jealous :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hey now, we both know I liked the sundara… they friggin broke on me twice lmao plus the ear cups were too small however another forum poster helped me out letting me know some info on some pad swaps that were good for it. Eh, my job pays incredibly well and I am stuck sitting around lately due to the virus so I have been testing headphones out in my free time. It’s quite a few to test though I will say that… Let me think… I should be having my buddies 177x tomorrow, beyer tyger, beyer custom, pm-50, aeon open x, and sundara on friday. Edition XX sometime next week Meanwhile, I am currently sitting here with the DT 1990s that another friend shipped to me for trial and fell in love with them immediately already settled to actually buy these and trade out the 990s for them. Needless to say… really busy auditioning schedule. However these are the last on my testing schedule. I don’t really have any others planned… oh and I get nighthawk tomorrow… forgot to add that one. I considered the Verum wasn’t sure on it. bit of a gamble there will consider those when I am done with everything else

1 Like

Have not had them break on me yet. Just bad luck (like me with all my Schiit products lol RIP my Heresy).

Dude. Again. I wish. I only have so much money lol. If I had the budget to test and return I would.

The used Eikons I’m getting are hopefully my end game as far as headphones go for a while.

2 Likes

I wish I could try ZMF… those are just pointless for me to try outside of, MAN I wish i could buy these! only to realize that it just aint happening and sulk lmfao. Also wanted to check out the Elex but wasn’t sure on that… need more info on it and I have a ton on my plate right now. I have the worst luck with stuff just outright breaking without much reason…

1 Like

The only reason I didn’t go for the Elex is cause they had just as many (if not more) QC / obvious design flaws than the Sundaras and Anandas. I figured that since Hifiman is a bigger company (and headphones.com actually carries the sundaras) I could get a replacement if I needed with minimal fuss compared to massdrop / focal (even if the Elex is objectively better). Same logic went into the Elex v PM-50 choice, which is sad that they have that reputation :/. Would love to try them someday though.

The ZMF were an impulse purchase after I saw them for $900-950 in good condition (which is the best you’ll ever find them lol). Since I’d already kind of decided on trying out ZMF and had a good idea the Eikon was more to my preferences than the Atticus, I decided to go for it. Will give a full impression on them after a week of listening if I don’t get too excited and if they are functional upon arrival.

1 Like

I have seen the eikon be recommended so many times… saw another forum here earlier where it was asked the next step from a nighthawk carbon responses were the teak and ebony and final stage was eikon for its better sound stage… like oh alright… so much for possibly upgrading… THATS cool. I like to save my money sometimes too despite being in a hobby that makes my wallet cry but my ears scream in joy. lol

2 Likes

Yea man. I think what pushed me over the edge was how different the Sundaras and PM-50s were followed by my acquisiton of the Monolith LP Hybrid. That two headphones with ‘similar’ drivers and amps can sound so fucking different means that there’s so much more to discover. If only I had a bigger pocketbook lol. Incremental upgrades it is. Just fun to experiment and treat my ears to new sounds.

1 Like

I have a pretty good idea of what I like in sound thus far so it will be interesting. It was very entertaining after I tried both the orbit, 400i, and sundara to hear such an incredibly drastic difference in sound despite all being planar catered more towards neutral.

1 Like

Looking fwd to your review on the 177x since I’m debating between those and the Sundara. I currently have the 4xx and really like the sound from it. So I was thinking, instead of adding another open back to maybe try out a close back.

1 Like

I am currently sitting with both the Sundara and the 177x right now. I am definitely not the biggest fan of the out of box earcups for the 177x… so far I immediately found I liked the sound much more on it’s replacement leather cushions… it may be better to replace these with like… a brainwavz or something dunno yet haven’t sat long enough with them. If you liked the 4xx you will probably love the Sundara to death. will chime back in maybe tomorrow on 177x

1 Like

wow, i never thought about it in that way. guess i{m not the only one. whenver i feel that one of my headphones is lacking something i always switch to the other and Its exactly what i was looking for. it usually ends up making me dislike the other headphone which is cynical lol but ur right one will get on your nerves but thats fine. thats bound to happen i guess when you listen to music as a hobby instead of just background noise

People keep headphones that do that? :open_mouth: why?..be like :headphones::dash:

2 Likes

lol i think some of us are more moody tbh. its like if it dosent feel right it just dosent feel right. and i would say the uncomfortable aspect of that gets on my nerves instead of the headphones themselves. so you switch into something that kind of just fits your mood more atm

1 Like

having to sit down with the pm-50 and Sundara but also the 177x gonna be a day.

2 Likes

If only I had more consistent preferences and knew exactly what I wanted all the time :slight_smile:

I know they all have their flaws, even $6000 headphones do. So even if I had the money for the ‘perfect’ headphone it wouldn’t solve it. Imma just make do with what I have and have fun exploring.

1 Like