Planning to upgrade from my HyperX Cloud Alphas

Typically the 58x is an always in stock product that ships out within a couple of days. Took around 4 days after ordering for it to be at my house for me

At least this the case if you live in the us

I think the 4xx has the best overall sound of those three. It has the widest range in sound. The 58x are a little veiled in the treble and the mids are recessed on the X2s.

1 Like

I do think that the 58x vs 4xx is more preference imo then a definitive better for one. It just depends on what you like and want to prioritize

1 Like

Iā€™m not from the US thatā€™s why the delivery will take longer. Massdrop doesnā€™t ship the 58X directly to my country. However they do ship the HE-4XX.

Iā€™ve been reading a lot of reports about quality issues though. Really worried if the cans I get are defective because it will be a nightmare to return them.

I really donā€™t think they have those issues any more, because the headband is solid and the driver failure is not common

Do you mean the 4XX? Iā€™m reading through the reviews in Massdrop atm and most of them are pretty recent. Not to mention in the youtube comments as well from HE-4XX reviews.

Hmm, it seems they are having issues with their most recent batch then, which is disappointing. You could go for the he400i if itā€™s available in your area. The newest edition has fixed the headband issue. They are essentially the same as the 4xx sound wise with a more comfortable headband imo

They do but the price skyrockets due to import tax. (My country has a crazy import tax rate once the item reaches 190$.) Almost 90$ tax and shipping on top of the 200$ price tag. I just really donā€™t see that as a good deal anymore since the 90$ is enough to buy something more worthwhile. Just sucks that a lot of stuff isnā€™t available readily here. hahahaha

Thanks again by the way. A lot of great input that you shared that I highly appreciate.

Thatā€™s strange that they donā€™t ship the 58x to you but they do ship the 4xx. Have you checked local used options? You could possibly score a deal on a better headphone

Very strange I know. Was really confused by it as well but my country is listed in the 4XX but not in the 58X for shipping.

I could try looking in the used market but not hoping much since itā€™s not really a big market here. Iā€™ll try getting back to you if I see anything.

EDIT:

Found someone selling the HE 400i for 230 usd USED. I donā€™t think thatā€™s a deal hahaha

Found Sennheiser HD 6xx for 240 usd used and AKG K7xx brand new open box for 240 usd.

Beyerdynamic Dt770 pro 80ohm for 200 usd used.

As you can see most of the stuff are over 200 usd and most of them are even used. Hahaha

Most decent one I found is the Dt880 Pro 250 ohms for 150usd used.

That 880 pro is a pretty good deal imo, that would be a good upgrade. It would be in the bright and neutral side though. I think itā€™s a great all rounder and is good for music and gaming. You would want to get an amp though

Just read a review about it and I saw it has some problem with the highs but pretty good overall.

Just saw some Dt990 pro premium 250 ohm for the same price as well.

Those have a problem with the highs lol. I think the 880 highs really arenā€™t an issue unless you are fairly sensitive to high end

Just realized the 880s are closed back. Kind of want to try open backs this time.
And the 250 ohm impedance means I will need an amp to drive this. Sucks that there is no 58X or X2HR being sold anywhere even used.

the 880 is semi open and still has a great soundstage (I would say wider then the 58x), but yes you would need an amp. I personally would for sure take the 880 250 ohm over the x2. The 58x vs 880 is more preference

1 Like

Would a cheap dac/amp be fine just to drive this until I get more money along the line for a better one?

How big of a change would i experience moving from the Alphas to this?

It would be a wider soundstage and more accurate imagining, more detailed sound, enhanced clarity, and also very comfortable (to me at least). The more even frequency response plays well with most types of music as well.

Whatā€™s your definition of a cheap amp (price range)

Thatā€™s a lot of difference and the dac/amp Iā€™m looking atm is at 60$. FX-Audio DAC X6 is the model.

I think that should be fine. Should power the 880 250 ohm easily enough. You could always upgrade in the future for better quality too

1 Like