PSA: Topping L30 Damaging Headphones

hey guys where do we check batch numbers?

on the right side of the amp there should be a sticker with a number I believe people are just saying the first 4 digits of it mine is 2009 and I’ve had no problems but I quit using it yesterday since I found this out the night before I used it for like 6 hours straight with new headphones glad I didn’t get f***ed :scream:

though some things that worry me is that when I bought it the power ac adapter was somehow broke through the box it came in during shipping I guess and it also had a strong chemical or electrical smell to it for some reason still has a smell to it too nowhere near as strong i gotta put my nose right next to it to smell it now

1 Like

Amir is an employee of the company that owns Topping and bunch of other Chi-Fi brands. He does social media type stuff for them.

Well, maybe not an employee but a hired gun. Regardless, they give him money.

For the record, I have no issue with Chi-Fi (love my LP).

4 Likes

I don’t think LP - if you mean Liquid Platinum - qualifies as ChiFi. It’s certainly manufactured in China, but it was designed by Alex Cavalli for Monoprice, neither of whom are Chinese.

Typically ChiFi means audio products that are designed and manufactured by Chinese companies.

3 Likes

For the record, I have no issue with Chi-Fi (love my LP).

If LP (designed by Alex Cavalli and built in China) is Chi-Fi so is Apple’s Airpods and Beats lines. :wink:

1 Like

Chi fi is absolutely not stuff designed and regulated by actual competent companies in the west and made in china for the cheap labor. chi fi to me is smsl and topping and things designed by chinese designers that cut safety corners to scam people through ASR for measurements. You could say that if you want but then there needs to be a different word for chinese designed products not just made.

i got banned immediately when i pointed out the only review of amir that doesnt have anything about where and how he got the amp is for the l30 and he refused to put a warning on the review even now to my knowledge. he is a scam and this shows it. you cant question chinese authority or brands in that forum you will be called racist and banned instantly just for saying “chinese brands are showing their colors” as if they didnt shit all over schiit products daily calling them american made trash. its braindead how smart they think they are over there. they love to hate this forum as well. like actually hate for no reason other than people like things they dont due to measurements.

1 Like

It’s a mutual hatred here we kinda dislike them over there cause they don’t use their ears enough. A majority of them don’t seem to trust their ears to determinewhether something sounds good or not and are willing to think something isn’t good just cause it measured worse than another product

very true not to get off topic so yes the response to the l30 and ASR being linked by that topping employee in this thread is very suspect and should be a warning to everyone .

I’m just kinda sadenned to see how topping is doing as of recent as a proud owner of a couple of their older products. And someone who has reccomended this very amp to one of my friends shit like this is what sets the budget market back

2 Likes

Isn’t Monolithic/Monoprice Chinese? I thought it is. I know Dr. C is an American. Either way, I don’t have an issue with the country of origin of a product. All I care about is the quality (both audio and build).

1 Like

Yeah the trashing of Schiit over there pissed me off. I’m not a fanboi (though I own some of their products) it’s just that their definition of good vs bad is idiotic. I’m an engineer and I like measurements but the measurements they base their opinions on are sorely lacking.

2 Likes

Monoprice is an American company. They were made popular due to their excellent customer service and fairly high quality cheap av gear like RCA cables which are generic rebranded chinese made products. The monolith line is their own products made in japan and seemingly designed by them whether American or chinese. Both drop and monoprice are both known to manufacture Cavelli designs. Chifi is generally chinese made, designed , and manufactured products. If we were to go chinese made products are Chi Fi. The. All our iPods, many Sony DAPs, lots of our Sennheiser headphones a majority of new akg headphones , most Sony and Samsung made audio gear are all chi fi

1 Like

Huh. I had no idea :man_shrugging:

1 Like

:smiley: They are all Chifi. :smiley:
Just accept it. lol i only have a portable FIIO amp… maybe SHP9500 to? Don’t actually know where they made?
E: China! :rofl:

The good stuff are not, that’s important. Lol. :sunglasses: :heart_eyes: Cause reasons.

Jokes aside. Did Z do vid already?

Got a L30/E30 stack here from November with serial numbers beginning with 2010*/2009* respectively. I can’t seem to find a compiled list of “at risk” serial numbers. Have unplugged it just to be sure for now. Are there any reports of the 2010* being at risk?

Going to need another amp now, shame as I was really happy with that stack.

My understanding is that the developer has asked for 1-2 more days.
Amir has reprimanded his measurement after he was criticised a bit.
And the sale of the L30 is still going on, neither is there an official statement on how to deal with the L30 at the moment.

Which is irresponsible in my opinion, because people have reported that if they hadn’t known beforehand that their L30 might be defective, they would have put on their headphones. Ironically, just when they read about it, it went bang.

The only thing you can do now is not to use the L30.
And possibly return the L30.
The developer is also unwilling to comment properly or issue a warning or statement.
So he shouldn’t be surprised in a few weeks.
It’s sad, but what can you do?

Thanks for the reply man, appreciated. Like I said I’ve already disconnected it all, just going to have to go direct to the computer for now I suppose.

Already begun the returning procedure. Thank god I chose today to procrastinate!

Time to go down the rabbit hole on amps again…

1 Like

Yes, it’s the most sensible thing you can do.
As a manufacturer, you should at least know approximately which batch of production could be affected.
Obviously, Topping has problems with this, as he can’t even mention a possible batch.

From his guess he says November production, but as a consumer I have no way of knowing what Topping produced in November.
He doesn’t mention a production number either, and a statement would be a quick and easy way to clarify the state of affairs and then it would be clear what’s going on and there would be no more wild speculation.

But if you don’t want to listen, you have to suffer.

Could we keep this at “Innocent until proven guilty”? That would bre great.

2 Likes