Question about hd 660s 2019 edition

has anyone tried the new 2019 edition of the sennheiser hd 660s yet?
I finally find the headphone that I am looking for and then it gets rereleased.

Is it just a new look or can I expect a new sound?

It is literally the smallest visual change by moving the position of the bumps to indicate left side. That’s it (at least I’m pretty sure)

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

2 Likes

Pretty sure it’s only cosmetic and those are either just measurements from variants between batches or conflicting info because only the headband has changed

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

Lol, if if you got a message from senn themselves, I would still be surprised if they actually changed anything that effected the sound (audibly), as I think they may have shifted production to a different facility so they decided to remeasure their standard to accurately represent any changes that may have caused

What the heck is a sound converter system? Even Google wants to know the answer to this question.

Also: wonder if the SPL change reflects an actual change in the headphone or a change in their measurement approach or an error correction to their previous literature?

2 Likes

Ambiguous in the extreme lol.

1 Like

If you do happen to hear or get a hold of this new 660 and an older one, please do report weather there is a difference

That’s pretty much what I would think as well. I would assume they would remeasure the new units if they were being produced in a new factory

1 Like

Ahh so they mean " New sound transducer system developed by Sennheiser" which would make more sense. I still don’t think they would have changed the actual sound of the headphone that would be more significant then batch differences or manufacturing tolerances

The Sennheiser North America entry for the 660 S doesn’t say a word about there being a revision. No new and improved version 2 in the copy. So far as I can tell the general description may be the same used since the original launch, even though the new specs are there. If they had made an audible change, I’d think they’d want to tout that fact, if only as a reason to keep the price inflated for a few more years.

The change to the headband, however minor, suggests a re-tooling. This could simply have been necessitated by the re-lo. But a transducer change at the same time, and one with no fanfare is very mysterious.

Is it possible they took advantage of the re-lo to make a change for production efficiency reasons or due to the lack of availability of materials they formerly used, and they did so with no or imperceptible effect on the sound?

Yeah, perhaps with a different name too, as significant changes typically come with a new number or letter for senn

This is fascinating. Lothar’s translation of Schallwandler as sound converter is perfectly accurate. Google translate says schall wandler (two separate words) = sound converter. Just so happens that the German word for the English language technical term (audio) transducer is Schallwandler. Makes sense. That’s exactly what a transducer does, it converts sound into electricity.

Now that I know this I feel like I should have immediately understood what the phrase sound converter was referring to, and yet it seemed so mysterious. Doh.