Rant thread - share your grievances, not just audio

No doubt Athenian democracy had many faults, also.

Anyway, as I say, it was an observation, not a rant. The worry is that if every major country on Earth becomes a one-party rule, strongman-dominated, authoritarian dictatorship, there soon won’t be much of anything for any of us to enjoy… least of all audio.

I’ll leave it at that.

2 Likes

I think when the entainment industry loses enough money on content that isnt selling. It will go back to funding entertainment for profit.

Just a kindly reminder gentlemen can we please keep political and religious subjects off HFGF there are plenty of places to discuss such matters but not on here.

Thank you.

The mod team.

6 Likes

Completely happy with my Serials still, having a great time with them on the R6 Pro in particular over the last day or so… especially tonight the synergy seems unreal.

But it’s too late, I’ve done what I’ve done and at least a thousand dollars of gear will be arriving at various times in the next two weeks and I’ll have to make decisions, second guess my decisions, find buyers, etc.

There are worse problems to have. But if I could snap my fingers and have everything except the Serials and a good source spontaneously sell for a low asking and get themselves shipped… I’d snap my fingers straight away.

4 Likes

tldr, I do not like the direction the mechanical keyboard community has taken, linear and tactile switches have stagnated with all that has been done is change materials and the speed bump on mx brown. Also its just copium and a skill issue trying to do all these mods to a keyboard to make it sound muted when if it was a good switch in the first place you would not do that.

I do not get the direction the whole mechanical keyboard community has gone toward, call me old school or something but I do not get the whole trend of switches. I got back into the hobby again cause I wanted a new board that was potentially quieter than the board I have currently and one that was more ergonomic.

So far I got a linear board and a clicky one. For a linear board I got some gateron optical switches and for my other one I am rocking an ibm model m. I thought that since I been out of this hobby for like 5 years things would change with old switches getting remakes so they can fit mx keycaps but the community just seems to want to rehash the same products over and over again. With switch materials, there is only so much that they can do to try and reduce friction to improve “switch feel”. You will always run into the friction from the contact leaf if you try and pursue the cherry style, something like optical keyswitches do not have the contact leaf so they can be a whole lot smoother than traditional ones. Yes, optical switches need a special pcb to work, but its not like the majority of the people in the hobby are hand wiring switches, they are just taking a board off amazon or some other retail site and plop some switches and keycaps onto it, not really that customizable in my opinion but I guess its different than just buying “gaming” ones.

Now onto tactile switches the main thing that made me not want to lurk. I am gonna just say it outfront that I do not like mx style tactility its just a lazy bump in it and these new switches I got confirm it. I bought basically 3 switches, feker holy pandas, anubis switches from cannonkeys, and some tecsee sapphires thinking that maybe since they have difference springs, bumps and material it would create a tactile event that I might enjoy but no they all are not really that good and feel somewhat similar enough to me that I do not care. I know the dangers of hype stuff but thought that maybe since there was new stuff like the box switches and all that things would change. These holy panda switches that were hyped up are not round and honestly not that impressive, if you want a round tactility just stick to a regular membrane board or a topre one, you could get a cheapish electro capacitive one for around 100 bucks from akko online. The anubis switches feel as though you are driving on in Camden, New Jersey, bumpy in an unrefined way while having a slow return as though you were stuck in a one way alley although thank goodness this time it does not have some crazed lunatic waving around a chainsaw. The tecsees are just meh, not really tactile, the bump is just I guess there in my opinion. It just upsets me that after all these years we basically only got a switches that are slight alterations of a speed bump. There are so many different ways that tactility could be achieved and yet none were adapted. The only new thing is like the zeal switches but those are just insanely priced and are hella unrefined.

Also sound, honestly its just a skill issue and that people just really dont like the sound that their switches make. Cherry stabs are cheap for genuine ones and can be made easily to perform well. It takes some work but since most people are taking their stabs apart anyway to mod them, cherry stabs end up fine and on par with a lot of the more expensive options. All the people are putting like tons of foam, silicon, and all that to dampen their keyboard to make it sound good, in my opinion its just copium. You are trying to mute your switches because they sound bad, just make or get switches that sound better and maybe people dont have to wreck a whole case or put tons of foam in to try and make it sound “good”. I know a lot of stuff is subjective and preference but honestly I find the modern enthusiast keyboard sound to be extremely too muted and somehow hollow sounding. If I were to go and have enough money and skill I would really make tooling just to have some type of ergonomic keyboard with some buckling springs or something but I definitely don’t have the money to do that.

1 Like

I came from mechanical keyboards over to this hobby, and the rate of change in 2.5 years is absolutely breakneck and startling with IEMs compared to that.

Not to mention that we actually receive the IEMs we buy unlike half of the MK group buys…

How can KZ produce a new IEM each week but it takes over a year on group buy to produce a keycap set.

3 Likes

I just made an offer on an item for sale on headfi. I thought it was a bit overpriced so I made an offer for what I was willing to pay. The guy responds by saying he checked my sig and with the kind of gear I have why am I offering him less on his item. So because I have nice things I should be cool with overpaying on the used market?

I don’t want to mess with the dude’s sale so I don’t want to divulge details or anything, but he’s asking about $150 more on an item than the last two that have sold in the same or better condition went for. I offered $75 less than his asking price, still overpaying a bit for the market IMO but wanting to be magnanimous and explained my offer even providing links to the last two so he could see what I was basing it off of. Am I the asshole here and I’m just not getting it? Does me having nice gear mean I’m now expected to not care if a seller is asking too much and just pay it anyways?

Anyways, I replied and told the guy that just because I have nice stuff doesn’t mean I’m down to overpay and that I didn’t end up having nice gear by being a financial dunce. Now he wants to accept my offer and I’m kind of inclined to tell him I no longer want his item. Maybe that’s a bit petty, but I’m a little burnt by the way he acted.

Just by the by, I’m not some rich dude. I have worked hard to be in a position to own what I own and I have to keep working hard if I want to continue to be able to own it. I don’t know if that makes a difference, but I’m just putting it out there.

4 Likes

No, I’d be telling him to go pound sand too. Don’t be an ass to people if you aren’t perfectly willing to have them be assholes back in return. Especially if you’re trying to sell something.

2 Likes

I had a similar problem on Head-fi about 2 months ago. I provided last sale links as well as MSRP links to justify offer pricing, and after all it’s only an offer - no obligation to accept. The volley of abuse I got back was unbelievable - but cutting out the personal insults - I was told that as a “Headphoneus Supremus” his pricing shouldn’t be questioned… that as a “New User” I should be lucky to deal with someone as experienced with audio (he had no idea of my background) and should just pay (his pricing was only 10% off full retail for an item used for c. 1 year.

2 weeks later he then wants to accept my offer from before - yet after his behaviour on the first exchange I told him I didn’t want to transact with him. He reported me to the Mods over not accepting to buy the items (madness) and continued trying to argue with me.

So :100: your not being petty - who wants to tolerate someone trying to take advantage or be abusive when you are just trying to buy some audio equipment… routing that toxic entitled behaviour out of Head-fi.

Slower more civilized pace here at HIFIG for sure.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Report the individual to the mods along with a screen shot of the reply…he’d get a sharp and to the point DM from me if it had been reported here on HFGF make no mistake…what ever his Supremus w⚓️ standing. LOL

3 Likes

That matches my experience with the mechanical keyboard stuff.

I found that a cheap setup with linear switches was what I really liked. Gatteron had both clear and red, and my preference was somewhere in the middle. The tactile stuff just keeps getting weirder and worse.

Also never say anything bad about a Glorious product on Reddit. That gasket mount with the volume knob had a weird effect on the top right, because the volume knob was fixed, so the feel changed from bottom-left to top-right. I received more down votes on a comment about that, than the previous 6 years combined.

3 Likes

Its so funny and sad how much bandwagon there can be on the internet, so much stuff is preference and people can’t deal with it or ones personal experience. If you were to criticize glorious on mechkeys they would most likely downvote the hell out of you or if you say you do not like the direction of switches in the hobby. Meanwhile if you say something good about glorious on r/mousereview you are going to get chewed about their products being not good and how their qc is one of the worst in the industry.

1 Like

That is funny. I have owned three things from Glorious, two keyboards. The gmmk was pretty nice, but the pro was not.

The model O wireless mouse is my favorite mouse, and has been for the year or so I have had it. I had basically given up on Logitech, since their switches keep failing around 8 months, and they don’t stand by their warrantee.

Logitech…how in the world can they make some of the best mice in the industry, but be so abysmally bad at making keyboards? I really wanted to be able to get one of their keyboards to replace my old one a couple of weeks ago since I was also moving from the old G502 Proteus Core to the new G502 X Plus. Specifically a Lightspeed compatible one, so I could finally go fully wireless. But they’re just so bad.

1 Like

I actually looked at that and took a good 15 seconds before i figured out what w-anchor meant. I’m an idiot. :joy:

3 Likes

Don’t worry brother my monkey brain did need more than one try to figure it out till I remembered that ohm is is British :face_with_monocle: and i need to adjust my translation dialect :laughing::joy:

2 Likes

There’s a joke like this in Beneath A Steel Sky (British company made it, Revolution Software)… check the sign on the right inside the “Anchor Insurance” building.

(More blurred than I remember… reads “Don’t be a w… just use anc…”)

4 Likes

If there is one thing I will never understand about my truck is why the heat and AC work the way they do.
Best fan setting for the AC? Second from the lowest.

Heat? With the fan on it’s lowest setting, blowing at your feet and up through the vents, with the engine temperature perfectly fine… 150°F (~65.6°C)

I don’t like the cold, but holy crap on a cracker does that get hot!

5 Likes