Replacement for Focal Elex

Side tables work great for audio equipment :wink:.

Hm, 909 can be a tricky one of one goes from reviewers and the one thing i did get from zeos is that they can be amp picky but think he liked it on a ta 20 so it could work nice on your 30 :wink:

No space :sob: i have a L shaped desk but my soldering equipment can take all that space in a few days XD

Oh I can see the rabbit hole of tube rolling that’s coming lol. Dang I’m lucky my second bedroom is my office/mancave.

1 Like

As an owner of the EMU Ebonies AND the Focal Elex:

I must suggest that as dynamic the Fostex/EMU/Denons are, they are more fatiguing in general than the Focal Elex. More laid-back, and the mids are not up to par. Resolution on them is still good and Hi-Res, but details also lack.

Yes, the biodynas do hit harder. I’ve modded my EMUs to open backs/semi open I’ve tried, so I’m certain to quite an extent the 909 signature will not be too far. The 610/600/900 sig is also similar.

Even with no cups at the back (I tried cupless as well), they still have their V curved signature, not as much detail, and yet still not the Focal dynamics, at least in the rest of the frequencies (besides the bass). They’re still closed in - with NO CUPS - it’s kind of strange. I think the front metal baffle may be playing a role there. Anyhow, wouldn’t be what you’re looking for IMHO.

The Elex is a step up, simply put. Too open, occasionally more bright or more dynamic and more front, as the biodynas here are more laid back.

Where the Focals sound like bookshelf speakers in a nicely tuned room, albeit with a smaller soundstage, the Foster based cans will sound like bookshelf speakers with maybe a sub, but in a much smaller room. Quite a bit of in a contained and closed in room.

TL;DR:
These biodynas will not be the right substitute to the Elex - as much as I love my EMU Ebony, The Focal Elex is a different league. It could come close with an open back mod and the right pads, and even then, not quite the Elex sound.

1 Like

Clear Pro (not MG) with 2 pairs of pads, ideally one of them unused.
Better bass & treble extension, slightly congested sounding, no driver/voice coil headaches, possible bass clipping but if you buy used you can ask the owner if they experienced any.

Have you ever tried a Grado? I LOVE my GH2’s (you would have to buy them used), but I am hearing great things about the Hemps and the new X models featuring new drivers. I am getting the itch to pick up another Grado family member.

Sorry to hear about your Focal feelings. I LOVE my Elex’s and have had them for about a year and a half. When they go bye bye, I will get a pair of Clears, likely used. I now have the Elegia’s and may go higher with the closed backs. I really like the Focal sound.

Another headphone that is phenomenal is the HiFiman HE6se V2. However it requires a very impressive amp to really strut it’s stuff. Usually an amp that costs more than the headphones, so it can be a bit of a reach.

Happy hunting!

Thanks Shane I’ll have to take a look at grados but dang that vacuum cable lol. I really just don’t want to drop good money without support. I would try Focal again but not without a brick and mortar store near me.

My suggestion is Austrian Audio Hi-X65. Focal level technicalities and punch n’ slam with better soundstage, Beyerdynamic level build and Sennheiser level QC for fantastic price (especially if in EU).

1 Like

Sorry to hear it!

I feel your pain, i loved everything about the way the Elex’s sound but something about the ergonomics gave me a headache after 20 minutes. Might be a price stretch but headphones.com sometimes has original Clears for $1k, and you might also think about used LCD XC ('21) which i’ve seen for ~$1k as well.

I’ve been blown away with the XCs, the sound staging probably isn’t quite where the Elex was (going off of memory here, i didnt own both at the same time). The staging is good for a closed back, but it is at the end of the day a closed back.

As prior posts have pointed out, anything over ~1.2k and the “mid centric-ish with good dynamics” crown is the Auteur.

I agree, the cable is Horrible! Happy hunting.

I’ve seen them for game headsets, never really looked to closely at them before. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

Thanks for the LCDXC suggestion, I really enjoy Audeze but really want to get that dynamic energy that I’ve been missing from the Elex.
I keep look at the ZMF site and man I’m really close to say screw it and picking one up.

Yeah I have a pair of LCD 2Cs and they definitely have a darker sound, but the new XCs are truly a sea change. I dunno who at Audeze won an argument, but they really went a different direction.

ZMFs are the next rung up, i have the Auteurs and would say they’re very comparable to the Elex’s but just “more”. I’ve heard people say the Verites are even better but i’ve not heard them.

2 Likes

I know you would rather avoid Focal, but I’ve had no issues with either the Clear or the Clear MG, used both for over a year. I think it’s just the Elex that has 99% of Focal’s driver failure issues. But I understand the Clear is expensive. I prefer both the Clear and Clear MG to the Elex mostly due to better treble and bass extension.

1 Like

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I’m really looking hard at the aurture’s, it seems like the would for sure fit the bill.

Well I doubled my budget and decided to buy the ZMF Aeolus. Hopefully they don’t take 12 weeks to get here lol. I’m pretty excited to try them out as they look like a piece of art and seems they have a warmer sound signature that I tend to enjoy.

4 Likes

Can only recommend them, got my pair at the December sale and love the relaxing sound they have for a month right now
My go to cans after coming home from work and just wanting to listen to music :notes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

I really can’t wait to try these!!!

1 Like