Replacing Stolen Gear

If you plug it into a phone or something does it still have the same issues?

yeah just tested with my buddies phone, exact same issue

Never even heard of that happening before, very strange, and to ask an obvious question, you are making sure it’s fully plugged in correct

the connector is balls deep, if i unplug it halfway i get ZERO audio, with the POS heads plugged in halfway i get dual mono audio

i took out my multimeter and looking at the TRS 3.5mm the right audio ring appears to be shorted to ground while the left audio tip has 288ohms res

Yeah that ain’t right, send em back. That’s really really strange, I have never heard of an issue like this, just wondering where did you buy these?

Got them off Amazon from sixth avenue electronics after spending an hour trying to get them from beyers site, to say this is a disappointment is an understatement

Yeah def return them for sure

So i figured i would continue posting here

Im returning the defunct dt880s i had, and while using them i found they made my ear (left ear specifically) hurt, as in the cartilage around the ear, as far as i can tell it’s due to the (driver)/pad pushing my ear against my head, after about 10 minutes of use my ear gets sore.

is their a mod or pad i can buy to adjust this, or is their another pair of headphones that would be better?

scarlett 2i2 -> liquid spark -> phones

under around 350$ is my price point. but im flexible.

also in my experience with the (defunct) dt880s, sub bass is lacking, treble is slightly harsh, certain midrange frequencies seem subdued. this testing was done with the ODAC.

i still have the (defunct) dt880s atm and can do some tasting with the liquid spark today and report what i find there if that would help.

also the headphones i was looking at were the hifiman sundara

as from what i’ve read they’re better?? than the dt 880. and i noticed they have larger drivers which may alleviate my ear issue

Yeah, they are a higher tier headphone for sure (and you pay for that), that would be an upgrade over the 880. Since you still have the 880 at the moment, I would be curious to see what you think about it with the liquid spark and if your opinion changes (well besides the fact that you got a faulty pair)

also just had my buddy measure my ears.
protrusion from head
~just shy of an inch on my left
~3/4 an inch on my right

okay ill put some tracks together and do a quick taste test

Inkedfr-dt880_LI
frequency chart for reference, small lines are reference while large lines are personal feeling

so after listening to about 5 songs i know quite well these are my impressions between liquid spark and odac

volume knobs at 3/4 for spark and 2i2 with gain button on
volume knobs at half for ODAC with gain button on
this settings gave me roughly the same volume with the spark given more BOOM to the audio punches

red is the liquid spark
blue is the ODAC

to me both have a dip in the lower vocal range, making male vocals sounds subdued for the most part
female vocals are orgasmic on the liquid spark, harsh on the ODAC
the bass response is nonexistent on the ODAC while the spark warms the tone and gives the boom i want, still lacking in rumble and sub bass tho
both have that peak in the 7k to 10k range that i would want to EQ out as my ears are sensitive enough to not need that.
to me the extreme high end is pleasant on the ODAC but missing on the spark
the soundstage is night and day better on the spark while the ODACs imaging seems to be better (remember defunct pair sooooo)

to me the spark is the better of the two for this pair but the ODAC certainly gives the dt 880 its stereotypical sound.

the Odac signature sounds like a ramping function that goes from left to right then disappears, while the spark sounds similar but with an added subwoofer.

Interesting, mostly in line with what I would expect. Although not sure how there would be imaging and staging well without a stereo signal (not having a stereo signal will mess up a shit ton of stuff)

Well, from what you are after the sundara sounds like a solid choice for what you are after (as I assume you wouldn’t want to grab another 880)

not that i dont want a dt880, but i am slightly disappointed in it

Well getting a bum pair I would be disappointed as well

lil Update:

I love the Sundaras except for the lack of punch from the drivers, but the clarity is so good i end up zoning out imagining the music scene in front of me rather than working lol

Chat sounds amazing, if they also have a good mic

so far i like everything about the signature for games except for the impact of explosions,
I’m thinking adding a crossover and a subwoofer would basically fix that issue,
or possibly replacing the stock hybrid pads with leather.

also @M0N M0N with the liquid spark hooked to the out on the 2i2, what level should i set the Large rear volume knob

Set it to the highest you can go without hearing noise or distortion

For my 2i2 this happens to be with the knob line pointing at the usb icon(~2:30)
thanks M0N