RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

How does the lack of pinna gain sound without EQ?

Its not a problem, since the bass is flat. It is making the Timeless sound harsh (and peaky treble) lol.

3 Likes

Will you try taping the vent on the plus?

No, but I will have an PEQ section with some comparisons.

PEQ is always better than tape mode from my experience.

3 Likes

Just got these:

Koss KPH14: (earbud/headphone hybrid)
Very bright, less bass and more treble than the Koss KSC75. Fit is very secure, but feels weird at first. Headband adjustment is very short, asian/women sized I guess.

Philips SHS3300BK: Tuned to be used without foams (mainstream consumption), but has a 3k peak that way. Put on a foam, and it actually sounds pretty decent.
(with foams)
Mid-bass bud, with very little sub-bass. Vocals are decent but timbre isnt that good. treble is on the warmer side.
This one has potential, will spend more time with it after my backlog is gone. (Oh, and that fit/comfort is excellent as you might be able to tell from the design.)

1 Like

Oh Philips my sweet sommer child. We should open a bicycle recommended thread. I have a shitload of headphones and IEMs but very few of them are recommended for road biking. The best and last survivor of this genre was the Philips Fidelio L1 which is no longer sold. What a pity. Philips is the archetype of a schizophrenic company the discrepancy of borderline genious and crappy products is borderline.

Back to the topic of bicycle headphones the Fidelios L1 were the most pleasant to me but far far from perfect. If someone has a rec for a fellow road biker let me know!

PS: I hope I don’t have to mention what makes a good bicycle headphone. If you know you know my fellow bikers

@Rikudou_Goku how do you find the noise floor and sound stage between the ZEX and DQ6? I find my ZEX a bit irritating due to its noise floor, wondering if the 3DD DQ6 actually reduces noise floor and increases sound stage?

Dont have the ZEX. But maybe its your source? I didnt hear any hiss on the NRA with the Asgard 3.

1 Like

The ZEX noise floor was present not only on xDuoo MT-602 (normal) but also FiiO K3 (very slight). I think it’s just the electrostat is very sensitive

K3 has a high noise floor as well as 1.8 OI. Not a surprise if it’s hissing with some iems.

3 Likes

Dang… I didn’t know :neutral_face:
No wonder even my Tea hisses on the K3 on higher volumes

And that xduoo amp is a hybrid amp. So it’s no question that it will hiss with iems.

Yeah, that was expected due to its external power input.
I got a ifi Zen Dac v2 incoming, have you heard of any reports on its noise floor situation? (just googling now but don’t see any info)

They claim it has 1 OI. If that is true, then It is better than the k3.

The tube Amp hisses due to it having a very high OI, most amps like that have around 10 ohm.

1 Like

It was also hissing with Sonata HD Pro too on low gain, that’s why I sold mine.

2 Likes

2021-11-14: Waterfall graph coherency reading.

I might have learned how to tell coherency from waterfall graphs, which I will show now.

Procedure: I tested my theory on my own, judging the iems I have heard myself and was correct 100% of the time. Which then led me to look at graphs (thanks to @MRSallee for sharing his graphs) I havent heard and ask for confirmation from @nymz If I was right or wrong.

1636894046896.png
See how the bass has a lot of red coloring on the GK10? While the mids does not have it and that treble, very little?
That shows that there are different driver speeds doing those areas, that is why it translates to you hearing different drivers doing their own thing. (incoherency)

1636894094053.png
on the other hand, the Falcon Pro has a lot of red area as well, showing that it is on the slower side as well. But this time, that slower speed is shown from bass to treble. Not as much as on the mids, but that is fine IRL.

1636894117518.png
The P1 Plus have very fast speed across the range and is consistent, that is why it is very coherent.

1636894141038.png
The A7 (Pop-red) also looks coherent, because there isnt a lot of red coloring here with the bass (mostly with sub-bass), so that matches well with the low amount of red with the treble

1636894165997.png
The DQ6 also looks excellent, with very fast speed on from bass to treble

Conclusion: If a waterfall graph is consistent in its coloring from bass to treble, it is on the more coherent side. How coherent it is, is judged by the level of consistency

8 Likes

What do the colours represent on the graphs? What is the unit?
I have very few experience with waterfall graphs, but I thought the most important data was to be seen on the “depth” axis. I have the feeling that the coloration is only dependant on elevation, so would only represent dB differences.

The coloration from what I know is the speed. (not sure if its the decay or attack, probably the decay though.)

Red being slower than blue (as you can see from the bar to the right).

From what I’ve just read from the REW documentation, the decay is shown with the “depth” axis, and the coloration is only tied to the dB (so the height axis). Having this coloration helps, like maps with elevations marks, in visualizing the “height” axis in a 3D representation.

So to see decay, you should look at the “thikness” of the curve for a given frequency. And as we see on your graphs, iem being a very controlled/invariant environment, the decay (IE abruptness of the depth slope) is quite astonishingly even across the frequency range.

My guess is if you take a mono-dd iem with a deep between 200Hz and 2kHz (with the other parts being at the same level), you’ll see much red with good coherency.

1 Like