RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

btw, you did get the pouch I hope? (not in the pic, but just confirming lol.)

1 Like

I did. I’d just never opened the white box until the person on Reddit asked about it.

2 Likes

IMO the Iris 2.0 are a great listen for $10. I love that I can wear something that lets me hear if the baby’s woken up/my wife is entering the space I’m in, without feeling like I’m sacrificing much on the sound front.

And I don’t need to raise the listening volume like I thought I would need to for a more distant transducer. If anything I’ve tended to listen to these at lower volume levels than my IEMs.

For $10.

If the silicone wings I ordered allow a secure fit with MX500 shells (these get jostled way too easily in my ears) then I’m a guaranteed buyer of the Berserker 1.

And of course timbre, which I wish my ears hadn’t become so sensitive to during the last year, is just peachy with the simplicity of a single DD.

Zero fatigue, I put these in for convenience and then just listen and listen, the compromises are lost in practical enjoyment. Lightweight, open, excellent tonal balance and bass texture, lovely vocals. Sub bass is of course not what it is with IEMs, but it’s very effective and I don’t feel like it’s clearly missing during long listening.

EDIT: I’ve been using donut foams with the larger center hole in them. I’d compare with/without sonically, but the main reason I put them on means I won’t bother trying without: I’m wearing the foams to assist with fit.

4 Likes

FYI: You get better sub with full foams and its what I use.

2 Likes

I didn’t have the full foams it came with to hand, but had some foams from some other earbud and they fit more or less well enough. Whatever this did for dampening/distance I don’t know, but…

I’m doing late night work (sub plans for tomorrow) and had been listening to the Canons, then Serial, then these with full foams. They haven’t left my ears and I’ve been genuinely amazed by what I’m hearing. It’s not just the low-fatigue fit, or the open-ness to make sure I can hear one of my kids getting up. The sound quality is terrific.

Somehow the foams chub things up enough that the fit is improved too. It’s not perfect, but they shift less/less easily than before.

Looking at Woody’s chronological list, I hadn’t expected these to be as old as 2016.

1 Like

My take on @Rikudou_Goku Berserker 1 and Lancer 1, for those in the fence.

Spoiler: Approved, recommended.

Have a nice weekend!

7 Likes

You guys like modular cables?

Considering going modular with some of my buds. :thinking:

Oh and what do you guys think about these wires (found on taobao)?

6 Likes

Yes and yes!

I like the steely blue and first photo best personally. Last photo’s pretty cool too.

4 Likes

Cables look pretty nice, I could see some interesting color combinations with those! As far a modularity, that’s always a plus so long as the system is robust enough, and they would be great for anything with a fixed cable!

1 Like

Glad I aint the only one with good taste. :joy:

That modular connector is around 50 usd though…

So my Grand series might be higher than 100 euro. Atm, I am thinking of having some of my regular models that are worthy of “Grand” (Like the Lancer 1) status in sound, to have the option of going modular + better cable for the same price as my other Grand buds.

5 Likes

another option would be adding MMCX connector so that one could change the cable to his liking :smiley:

1 Like

I like the light pink cable.

1 Like

The issue with the mmcx route is that it will change the tuning drastically, its not really an option to me I think…

If you have an MX500 bud, you can demo the effects that I am talking about by taping or using blutack to block the vent where the 3.5mm wire is coming out of.

3 Likes

BIG UPDATE TO MY SQUIG!

THERE IS A PEQ FUNCTION NOW!!!

:fire:

(there might be bugs, please report them if you find any.)

10 Likes

Used that function to make some fun EQ profiles like Arya > HD8XX. Didn’t have the time to listen to it yet.

1 Like

AutoEQ is killer (but a bit agressive).

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing the screenshot! I couldn’t find it in the 20 sec I spent on his squig

This is a game changer. Exports! Imports! AutoEQ!
Equalizer is available on the following Squigs so far:
RikudouGoku
Precogivision
Super*Review

5 Likes

I have been doing the same manually (and programmatically) since a long time. But having the function directly on squiglink makes everything a whole lot easier.

Pretty cool!

2 Likes

That EQ things brings a question to me: with that theoritical lines, you determine the compensations to apply. But you never know if the iem will effectively follow these compensations, right? (Or you have to measure the iem post-EQ)

It really interests me: a great experiment will be EQing the timeless to tea FR…

2 Likes