RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

Oh yes, indeed SLA printing. I see that no biocompatibility was tested (which is quite obvious since it costs $$$ and it is only required for medical-grade ones), but it is not food safe. It might mean that there would be free resin particles that you can get exposed to when in contact and that may cause allergic reaction to the most vulnerable (like some small percentage of whole population). It may be ok for all your users, but in general this is the particular reason why most companies using resin shells claim they use some kind of medical-grade versions of available materials :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Rikudou_Goku Hey which high-density tuning foam did you use for the DQ6?

2 Likes

Gracias! :man_bowing: Did you install the tuning foam with no filter on top of it?

1 Like

yeah, remove the filters and stuff the tuning foams in. Done.

2 Likes

So I am not much of a reviewer but I’ll share my thoughts and impressions of the Rikudou Buds Grand Rider 1’s. I received these about two weeks ago, and until my most recent arrivals (electrostatic headphones and an amp to go with it) they were the only transducers that I was listening to. Keep in mind that these thoughts and impressions are according to my perception of sound and my preferences. Also, I have learned that I much prefer ear buds over iem’s for comfort but iem’s are still useful for providing some sound isolation.

These buds are fantastic. They provide a great soundstage both in depth but especially width. The sound stage feels natural and does not take away from the excellent tonality of this set. The set has been described as warm leaning but doesn’t feel that way to me. It sounds very balanced for me when using the yellow foam covers. The imaging is good but not excellent, but it isn’t something I notice as not being exceptional as this set provides a very cohesive sound.

Compared to my other recent gear:

Thieaudio Oracle - I found the GR 1’s to simply be a more enjoyable experience. The GR 1’s have better technicalities in general and to my ears had more treble and less warm leaning. A plus for me. Recently sold my Oracles to fund new purchases as they weren’t getting any ear time.

Olina’s - No contest for me, the GR 1’s. I am keeping my Olina’s. They will be my comfort iem for when I need some sound isolation.

Focal Clear Mg - So a lot more expensive and the only thing the Mg’s were better at was bass slam. The Mg’s sound overly warm, and while the imaging is better on the Mg’s, the headphone itself is only nice to listen to with EQ. I recently sold these too after having them for a year.

Grado RS2X - These has been a huge surprise to me. Using 3rd party G pads, these have great tonality, awesome bass texture. Love these and didn’t expect too. Very good sound stage as well. The GR 1’s and RS2X’s are very similar but of course present the sound differently with one being buds and the other is an open back headphone. Love these and keeping them.

LSA-2 Closed Back Headphone - Tonality was never right with these and they have great imaging but just sound wrong. To make it worse, they have developed a severe imbalance on the left side. I need to get these replaced before giving them another listen. Might eventually sell them.

I have other gear but I’m not going to comment on all of them.

Finally I used the Gr 1’s using Fiio BTR5, apple dongle, Schiit Jot 2, Fiio K9 Pro AKM edition, and Zen Dac and Zen Can and loved it on all of them. The apple dongle is barely able to drive these buds to a satisfactory quality but not as well as any of the other dac/amps.

9 Likes

Unique colored foams (not black or white) are usually lower density than usual, with the black ones, it should be leaning more towards warmth.

Thanks for the review! :fire:

5 Likes

Hey everyone! Im this Val person Riku has been mentioning and I do design/release files for open source earbuds!

Some here already know, and I already see some familiar faces but its cool to be here!

18 Likes

Welcome! I also tinker with SLA/FDM 3D printing, so let me know if you ever wanna chat about designs and prints :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great to see fellow designers here :slight_smile: have you done any iterations of MX500 buds’ shells without the stem to see how that affects the acoustics? I find the stem to be the most uncomfortable part of the buds and I can only understand that it is necessary for the sake of having desired sound (and maybe for easy guide of the cable direction and securing of the wire without the need of rubber cable gland)

2 Likes

Seems like we came to the same conclusion :smirk: I also love my Olinas but the GR1 has now taken its place even though it’s less technical. The tuning is simply fantastic.

3 Likes

@VIVIDICI_111 Duly noted for future exploration. I get my Olinas today. First
venture into the iem world, lol. Beginning to feel this is another rabbit hole to be very careful around!!

1 Like

@Rikudou_Goku On another note, is there a way to better keep the GR1s in my ears? I’m pretty sure it’s just a me problem, but it keeps wiggling out of my ears :sweat_smile: I think my left ear canal is smaller so it tends to slip out…

It is, but at least the cheapest/best-value of all transducer types imo.

3 Likes

hmmm, there are those silicone rings/hooks that might help.

2 Likes

@Rikudou_Goku I may have to just end up with programmable hearing aids…NOT
the cheapest option!! :joy:

1 Like

Problem with those ear hooks in the long run was comfort for me (the sticking out stem hurt my ears in long run plus made sleeping on side impossible) + lack of foam making the sets too bright. I tried some hybrid foam underneath the silicone ring but it was not working too long.
I ended up with buds being only for stationary usage for me and I am fine with that as I don’t have any further expectations :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m fortunate. My ears must be perfectly designed for buds. Fits comfortably, no discomfort, and I can walk with them, shake my head, and lay down with them. On the other hand I have difficulty with my left ear canal for iem’s and struggle to keep it inserted on that side.

4 Likes

Very lucky indeed. I also struggle with pain after 1-2 hours with MX500 shells, which gets better in a few minutes of rest. Although I guess its good for my health that way. :joy:

2 Likes

Welcome let’s drink.

4 Likes