RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

Tanya is indeed a very strange example and I don’t know how to explain that. Or maybe it gets loud but wrong sounding?
However Volume with 5 ohms is normally outside of operating range for most of amplifiers I know, where the power specs are really off (in direction to low values) what is declared for 16-300 Ohms. And it needs relatively large current in this range

That shouldnt matter at all, since we are using the dac and the amp of the dongle.

Unless its some weird stuff like android stock apps or on apple where everything is bottlenecked by lightning.

It matters since phones USB output has current cap at 100mA and I don’t know really how efficient are those dongles? 40%?
And it draws current like crazy apparently

I dont think there is such a big limit for android phones. Apple on the other hand…

USB OTG is standardized and it allows to get up to 500mA or even more in power delivery mode, but it looks like phone manufacturers limit that value. 100mA was max for a device connected to USB in “non configured” mode and some devices do not exceed that. iPhones are even worse. I cannot find some more official information on that, but what I noticed in M15 was that with phone I have my volume at 60-70% for MEST as Nymz said, and on PC I had MEST at 12/100. I dont know how it is scaled though

Maybe @darmanastartes could try measuring on his phones.

Apple indeed has a hard cap of 100mA

What do you want me to measure?

A dongle, like the hidizs S9 on a phone instead of your PC, to see if there is any difference.

Ah. In my experience, dongles usually draw a hair more power from the phone than from my desktop.
Moondrop Dawn PC In-Use
^ Moondrop Dawn connected to PC
Moondrop Dawn Android In-Use
^ Moondrop Dawn connected to Android phone

1 Like

Thanks. I guess this does prove that Android doesnt have any power limitations like on crap Apple. (@pylaczynski )

1 Like

I mean this particular example does not exceed 100mA and this is said limit for Android (or at least some urban myth) :wink:

1 Like

hmm

@darmanastartes you got any sources you could measure with over 100ma on both pc and android? (above 320mw@32ohm)

I saw this hidizs s9 measurement exceeding 140mA from phone on one of @darmanastartes reviews, so there must be something to it (btw crazy power drain for such a small device) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you select ot force the high gain? The literature says it’s an auto gain.

You can manually select that via the Moondrop app.
(funny cuz they havent changed the 2/4 vrms from the 4.4mm. When it should be 1/2 vrms for the SE version.)

1 Like

I am now interested in Dawn because the weak point of my current dongle (Tempotec Sonata HD) is the detachable cable which either fails, breaks or now exhibits a loose connection so I had to tape it to the dongle.

This is a Hidizs S9 power measurement powered off my Pixel 3:

Does that answer your question?

2 Likes

Yes, at least to some degree. It means that there is higher potential amperage from USB of an Android phone than what is believed. At least for pixels :slight_smile:
The interesting thing is then why I can have so much lower relative value of volume setting from Windows than Android phone (like 12/100 on Win10 vs 60-70/100 for And 12) for the same IEM. At least on M15 and CX31993 that I have

I’m waiting for my Serratus. What are you using to drive it and the Tantalus?

2 Likes