RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

Can you select ot force the high gain? The literature says it’s an auto gain.

You can manually select that via the Moondrop app.
(funny cuz they havent changed the 2/4 vrms from the 4.4mm. When it should be 1/2 vrms for the SE version.)

1 Like

I am now interested in Dawn because the weak point of my current dongle (Tempotec Sonata HD) is the detachable cable which either fails, breaks or now exhibits a loose connection so I had to tape it to the dongle.

This is a Hidizs S9 power measurement powered off my Pixel 3:

Does that answer your question?

2 Likes

Yes, at least to some degree. It means that there is higher potential amperage from USB of an Android phone than what is believed. At least for pixels :slight_smile:
The interesting thing is then why I can have so much lower relative value of volume setting from Windows than Android phone (like 12/100 on Win10 vs 60-70/100 for And 12) for the same IEM. At least on M15 and CX31993 that I have

I’m waiting for my Serratus. What are you using to drive it and the Tantalus?

2 Likes

I’m driving my Serratus with ifi ZEN DAC balanced. Sounds good to me, although I’ve been told to provide more juice…

You have serratus too? How is your take on that as compared to Alter Riders 1? Am I late for some hype train?

1 Like

Desktop gear mainly (topping l30, singxer sa-1)

@Rikudou_Goku Picked a pair of used EX800STs for good price. Would the Q5K drive them sufficiently to make them boom? If not would you have a good rec for a another portable amp?

Are you gonna use it with the tape mod? If so, it should be fine.

if you want to use it with PEQ like I do, you might need more power due to the negative preamp.
If u need more power, the Topping NX7 is a beast (need a dongle though).

Yes, sir! Tape mod gang for sure! Only reason I bought it.

1 Like

Enjoy. Do try out my PEQ on it when u get it though. Might surprise you.
(and if u like it, remove that foam in it.)

Oh and if you dont have the adapter here it is:

Appreciate the reply. It came with an upgrade cable already and the adapters. Along with the original cable. Picked it up for $135. Still needs to ship though.

I’m a bit confused with power requirements of IEMs. Haven’t really needed to think about until now. In the case of the EX800ST I see you say it’s good up to 500mW. However the amp you rec’d is higher. Does it just deliver the power according to volume? If that makes sense. I’m just used to my car audio days when I was younger. If I bought 500W sub I paired it with a 500W amp. Never thought past that. All this power stuff still confuses me. My Q5K and dongle have been sufficient so far.

If u use it with PEQ. Because then, at least with my settings, have a pretty big negative preamp value. The 800st´s sensitivity is a also a bit on the lower side.

Yeah, thats the value it can handle at maximum. Its a loooot higher than most iems, as they are usually around the 100mw mark iirc from the stuff I have seen with it listed.

You can use headphone power calculator for this.

But from my experience only something like Etymotics with sensitivity of 95-98dB/mW or for some reason 7Hz Zero (108dB/V or 93dB/mW) would require amp.

1 Like

And don’t forget planar IEMs - lots of power for those

My S12 is at 112mV out of 4000mV at Qudelix 5k and blowing my ears. Just saying :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yah new generation planar iems dont news that much power realistically. Most will drive well off a phone or apple dongle.

1 Like

11 Likes