RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

Next Gen 3 colors.

8 Likes

MMCX colors for GAS3.

7 Likes

Custom cable for GAS3.

6 Likes

Grand Alter Saber 3 MMCX version

13 Likes

Gorgeous!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Here is a guide on how to measure source output impedance and unloaded max voltage accurately and at a very low price (sub 30 usd).

My own measurements are in my database.

Calling the reviewers here to get their hands on this so we can have more measurements out there besides just ASR (that does not always specify the OI for some reason) and L7Audiolab.
@VIVIDICI_111
@Jaytiss
@Mobileaudiophile
@SenyorC
@darmanastartes
@hawaiibadboy

12 Likes

Thanks for the call out but my issue isnt’t not having the measuring equipment, rather not having the time to use it :grin:

Just take more time in between reviews then. :joy:

I keep planning on doing that but then find myself surrounded by unopened boxes lol

Would you mind telling us how did you mod the EA500/EA1000 to solve its brightness or excessive treble?

Can confirm that this trick is very simple, yet effective.

The Simgots in question became more relaxed, yet still capable of delivering technicality and a lot of details. Just in a smoother, non-piercing fashion.

Highly recommended mod.
Thanks for sharing it, Riku!

3 Likes

Happy new year!
This has been a busy year for me since the launch of the Gen 3 Rikubuds lineup and I have dipped my toes back into the reviewing game a bit here and there as well. Now let us take a look at how my prediction from last year turned out.
”Now then, for my prediction for 2023: I expect that there will be brands that will focus on refining Planars, via new drivers and/or shell/acoustic tuning. While more competitors to the current KZ, Kinera and TRN budget planars should appear. The other major prediction I got is that we will see the rise of DSP usage to either complement their tuning or just tune it purely by DSP (we already got some DSP iems like the Moondrop Quarks DSP and upcoming ones like the Moondrop JIU and the Tanchjim Zero DSP). Although since DSP iems also mean you wont be able to use your owns sources, I only expect them to be in the budget range (at most up to 100 usd). A minor prediction is that we might be see some kilobuck iem using the new MEMS driver from xMEMS, maybe in combination with a DD woofer as I see them more like a tweeter driver than full-range (even though they are marketed at being a full range driver).”

1. Planars: I say I got about half correct with this, as we now have highly praised planars like the Hidizs MP145 and the Letshuoer S12 pro for the refined planars. But as for budget planars from more brands than just KZ, TRN and Kinera, I do not really remember seeing anything more in the sub 100 usd market, although there have been releases from NiceHCK and Muse Hifi at the 100-150 usd range.
  2. DSP: accurate although only from Moondrop and Tanchjim since they released a specific cable with DSP functions and also the Moondrop May which is a higher tier iem over the last years Quarks DSP.
  3. xMEMS: very accurate, we got the Soranik MEMS-2 sitting at 1 200 usd, Noble Audio XM-1 at 700 usd and even the relatively cheap Creative Aurvana Ace & Ace 2 at 130/150 usd. With the XM-1 and the Aurvana Aces being TWS and using the xMEMS drivers as tweeters alongside a DD woofer.

Predictions for 2024:

1. Bone Conduction: We have already started to see this after the second half of 2023 from the likes of BQEYZ Wind, TRN/CVJ Konoka/Assassin to the Kinera Imperial Loki. But I expect to see the rise of the LRA (Linear Resonant Actuator) type of BC drivers (akin to haptic feedback) being the next driver type to be in the hype train in 2024.
  2. xMEMS: We should (hopefully) be seeing more iems/tws being released with xMemes drivers in them at a relatively affordable price (sub 500 usd or perhaps sub 300 usd). Perhaps first from more mainstream/bigger companies than smaller chifi ones as the bigger brands will likely have more funds to spend on R&D, although I do doubt we will see huge brands like Samsung/Sennheiser/Apple be one of the early adopters of it since they likely want to take their time with their R&D if they are interested at all to use them.
  3. DSP: I believe we will not really see much use of DSP from other brands than Moondrop/Tanchjim since it is reliant on software as well which is something that is usually lacking from Chifi companies. At best, perhaps Fiio will join the competition since they do have more experience working with products needing software expertise.
16 Likes

Nice to see they fixed the bass and overly aggressive nature of the upper mids on the new 500LM

3 Likes

I’ve seen quite a few posts from you about the upcoming 500LM. From what you have so far hinted at, it’s a EA1000 killer. Is this so?

ARTTI T10 is like $60 and it’s fine.

It won’t be an EA1000 killer. It’s going for a different user base. It’s an alternative if you want a warmer, low end focused sound, from the looks of it. Better is just matching preferences, after all

2 Likes

aaa right, forgot about them since they are really new.

2 Likes

No prediction about passive radiators :rofl:

They are a total meme after all.

2 Likes

I think you can toss the Kiwi Ears Melody in there too? So you were basically correct full stop.

2 Likes

Kiwi Ears Forteza

Non-sound: Shell size is average, but comfort is not good for me because of the wing it has (wings do not work well for my ears) and it also has pressure build up due to not having a vent near the nozzle side of the shell, there is a small vent near the 2pin connector to prevent driver flex but that does not alleviate pressure to me. Nozzle is pretty big at around 6mm wide, no lip on it although it gets a bit larger at the end of the tip at around 6.8mm, so smaller tips will not fit it. Cable is not as good looking (IMO) as other iems in this price range nowadays. Just a side note; the dual DD setup in this is basically the same as the one used in the Moondrop Blessing 3 and the JH Audio Jolene.

Sound: In stock, it is a a pretty big V-shaped tonality due to the recessed mids on it but the bass itself is not elevated that much as you would expect from the graph (due to the treble blasting all over it) and it is kinda akin to BA-bass in its nature (fast attack and decay and tight) although with pretty good texture, neither is there a lot of treble air. The 2-8k area is elevated a lot and is very bright (a bit too much for me). Overall it just ends up sounding like an iem with recessed mids alongside being very bright but without air alongside the pressure build up with the shell itself, so I do not recommend this. Unless you mod it.

In which case…

Kiwi Ears Forteza (4x2.5mm low density foam in BA bore) Blon Z300
Sub-bass + -
Mid-bass + -
Lower-mids = =
Upper-mids - +
Treble - +
Upper-treble - +
Soundstage - +
Imaging + -
Separation + -
Macro-detail + -
Micro-detail + -
Timbre - +

Bass on the Forteza stomps the Z300 pretty damn hard, a LOT more texture and better extension while having a bit more quantity to it and at the same time being faster/tighter and quite a bit cleaner bass than the slower/bloatier Z300 bass. Male vocals are a lot more recessed on the Forteza than the Z300 but more detailed and cleaner and with better tonality (Z300 is better if you want more quantity but quality is better on the Forteza). Better timbre and tonality on the Z300 and not recessed like the Forteza. Treble is a lot airier, cleaner and brighter on the Z300 while the Forteza is kinda dark in comparison. Technicalities are a step up on the Forteza except for the stage which is pretty small and not as good timbre as the Z300. If you prefer a more balanced iem, the Z300 will be better. But if you want a dark-ish and relaxing upper-mids/treble alongide a bass boost but with fast/tight bass, the Forteza will be better.

Kiwi Ears Forteza (4x2.5mm low density foam in BA bore) Simgot EA500 (red nozzle)
Sub-bass + -
Mid-bass + -
Lower-mids - +
Upper-mids - +
Treble = =
Upper-treble - +
Soundstage - +
Imaging - +
Separation - +
Macro-detail - +
Micro-detail - +
Timbre - +

Sub-bass is a LOT more elevated on the Forteza, extends lower and rumbles a LOT more with more texture. Mid-bass quantity is perceived as higher on the Forteza since it has a LOT more texture there and is a bit tighter, although a bit slower than the EA500 bass and is less clean. Overall a lot better bass to my preferences on the Forteza. Male and female vocals on the other hand sucks on the Forteza compared to the EA500, a LOT more recessed and not as detailed and clean as the EA500 and with worse timbre and tonality. A LOT more air in the upper-treble on the EA500 and a lot brighter treble on it as well with a lot more detail, although it is not as relaxing/fatigue free as the Forteza and can be peaky/fatiguing on the EA500. Technicalities are a lot better on the EA500 due to the much brighter tonality compared to the darker Forteza and EA500 has the better timbre. If you want a more natural or more versatile/balanced set the EA500 is the better set, but if you want more bass and a more relaxing/fatigue-free tuning then the Forteza will be more suitable.

Kiwi Ears Forteza (4x2.5mm low density foam in BA bore) ThieAudio Hype 2
Sub-bass - +
Mid-bass = =
Lower-mids - +
Upper-mids - +
Treble - +
Upper-treble - +
Soundstage - +
Imaging - +
Separation - +
Macro-detail - +
Micro-detail - +
Timbre + -

Sub-bass rumbles a lot more on the Forteza but extension is a bit better on the H2 along with being a bit more textured. Mid-bass is cleaner on the H2 as it is tighter and faster, and does not have as much quantity as the Forteza but texture is quite similar. Male vocals have a thicker note-weight and a lot warmer on the Forteza so suits some tracks (R&B/hip-hop for example) but is less versatile than the much cleaner/detailed H2 and H2 does not have the recessed vocals the Forteza has. Female vocals are a lot more tonally correct on the H2 due to the brighter tonality and more forward vocals along with being much cleaner/detailed, although timbre is a bit better on the Forteza. Treble is a LOT airier on the H2 and much more detailed and cleaner due to the brighter tonality compared to the darker and smoother Forteza. Technicalities are leagues ahead on the H2, although timbre is slightly better on the Forteza. Overall the Forteza is only really matching the H2 in the bass aspect while the other factors are clearly outclassed by the H2. Tonally speaking H2 is a more versatile iem, although if you prefer more bass along with a darker/smoother treble then the Forteza will be more suitable for you.

Conclusion: The Forteza is a hidden gem that needs to be polished (modded) for it to not be an iem that misses all its marks. But afterwards, it is a damn good set that is aimed at the niche suited for people that want a dark set while having powerful and textured bass that is not loose/slow as these iems tends to be (see the Final Audio E series) but decently fast/tight making it much cleaner overall while also being fun and relaxing. Which AFAIK is the only iem anywhere near its price range to do this so it is pretty much a default recommendation.

Stock rank: C+
Modded rank: A+

12 Likes