RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

No issues when I reviewed them. If you dont know about the modular driver feature, you wouldnt think much of it lol.

1 Like

I let my wife try the Iris 2.0 last night. She’s a music teacher but she usually isn’t sold on the IEM experience. Thankfully even with foams they just about fit. She put on some Beethoven, then just put her head back and enjoyed it for a while. She really liked it, and said she loved how she could tell where all the sounds were coming from (imaging!)
She had the L and R switched though. She pointed to where the flutes had been coming from. It was great to see her enjoying part of the hobby so much. A $10 set at that!

5 Likes

oh, for classical I would use something brighter. A shame the Nicehck ME80 is gone…

I forgot who it was, but do you guys remember the meme someone made where a pic showed a 600 usd cable connected to an iem with a 0.5 usd internal wire?

Well, we have the answer to that now:

:joy:

8 Likes

hmmm, I might have the solution enabling nearly all my buds to have mmcx connectors.

Something like this:

Except I might buy wires from CEMA instead and solder it myself.
Like this one:

But I am not sure about what mmcx cable to include if I go this route, or maybe it would be ok to not include a cable? I expect most of you guys to have a bunch of cables anyway. :joy:

5 Likes

I don’t have an mmcx cable lying around. Maybe you can offer with and without cable?

3 Likes

I like the idea in general, but there is small problem with a project like that.
I would expect that you would like make the extension cable as short as possible, but then the mmcx female-male assembly would be relatively large mass (compared to the earbud) hanging right below the earbud pulling it down. It would also swing back and forth like pendulum making the seal constantly compromised. Also most aftermarket cables has this preformed hook shape for cable to go around the ear, which would also make it a bit less usable.

Making the extension cable longer (like 10cm) would mitigate the problem probably, but then the idea of having replaceable cable makes a bit less sense.
All in all something to be tested

5 Likes

It’s pretty easy to find cables without preformed earhooks

2 Likes

Yeah, I plan to have it be longer. Otherwise the mmcx connector might block the vent and you can’t see the CEMA (or Hakugei) wire. But good point you bring up.

The main point is to have access to balanced cables if needed.

1 Like

If you guys want to turn your MH755/750 into something more aking to the older Sony XBA tuning.

Here you go.
graph - 2022-05-04T222924.722.png
graph - 2022-05-04T222954.371.png

Steps:

1. Remove the stock filter
  2. Remove the low density tuning foam underneath the filter.
  3. Place 1 piece of “Sony Import foams” in the nozzle.

Be aware that this is a irreversible mod as you are likely to tear the stock filter.

Here are the foams you need:
1651696677528.png

1 Like

Hey guys! I’m looking to try out some earbuds.

I’m a vocal head and love my mids as well as a 3D staging. My ideal target is a slight bass boost, mid-centric, and relaxing but still detailed treble. My library is mainly alternative, rock, acoustic, and ballads. Looking at the ranking list the Bell-LBBs seems to fit my taste, but always opened to better suggestions! I’m also curious about the differences in sound between earbuds and IEMs since I’m an IEM guy myself :thinking: (Also, do earbuds need amps?) Many thanks in advance :pray:

Edit: Just saw you make your own buds :open_mouth:@Rikudou_Goku Do you do custom tuning by any chance? Looking for a bud like the EJ07M tuning but with less sub-bass (-3DB lower the rest the same).

1 Like

No, I dont think you like the treble.

Sounds like the CD900ST. My Alter Archer 1 is very close to a replica of it.

3 Likes

@Rikudou_Goku I wanted to thank you for your very insightful reviews and google sheet. I got 80% of my audio gear based on those and couldn’t be happier…!
The thing is … Our currency is worthless and it was very important to me that I buy good price/performance stuff… And you helped me with that.
CCA CRA was amazing (after EQing it’s peaks) at almost every aspect (beside build quality which I didn’t expect more tbh)
Iris 2.0 was also a very nice buy.
KZ tips shocked me…!! I was looking for a comfortable tips and at first I thought this one looked like a generic cheap silicone tip because it didn’t look fancy (like some other alternatives) but I was wrong…! Instantly noticed the comfort level increased.
I’m also waiting on Qian39 and LBBS and I’m sure I’ll be happy with those as well.
Such a pity I can’t do international transactions (US sanctions) I would’ve loved to support you and buy your DIY buds. But thanking you is the least I could do.

7 Likes

Thank you very much!

I assume you are in Russia? Condolences to you, it aint fun when the top guy is an idiot…

2 Likes

nope … MUCH worse … I live in Iran :melting_face:

6 Likes

@Rikudou_Goku I’ve got 2 questions.

1. have you graphed CRA using 1 high density + stock mesh?
    just tried it and it seems good … I just lower the bass + wide bore tip and it’s sweet spot for me :grinning:
  2. does changing tips have an effect in FR measurement? when I use wide bore tips I feel a boost in 2-3K area … I wonder if I’m right or it’s placebo … I don’t feel the change in treble … but vocals seem more open to me

No I havent cuz I ruined mine lol.
But the effect should be similar to this.

Tips do change the FR (mostly when comparing different bore sizes), but IMO they dont reflect what you are hearing yourself.

1 Like

Alright, announcing a new bud model. The Grand Rider 1.

Driver: 130ohm Beryllium.

Warm-neutral: slight mid-bass boost with lots of texture, vocals are slightly on the warmer side and neutral, treble is smooth and airy, current stage king (balanced with great width and depth) and excellent timbre.

Price: 100 euro

As I mentioned before, this being a beryllium DD means I wont be making many of them, so I guess you could call them a limited edition.

7 Likes

Stage king? :scream: Don’t say something like that, think about my wallet…

130ohm? You have something like a btr5 / Qudelix 5k around (2V, 85mw at 32 Ohm) and can judge if it is enough to drive them?

Tried it with the Hidizs Sonata HD Pro 2. If it has the same power as the Tempotec version, it should have 70mw@32ohm.

No problem with headroom (below 20% volume with my Oneplus 8T) but bass texture is a step down from my Asgard 3. I think its around the minimum power you need. This, as with the Lancer, do scale up with more power IMO.

2 Likes