RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

q5K and btr5 will be enough to power 130 ohms: they can drive my 80ohms beyer with ease.

2 Likes

Maybe it makes sense to not solder the termination until the unit is sold and ask the buyer if they want 3,5mm, 2,5mm or 4.4mm? At least for the higher models. Just an idea…

I dont have any balanced cables atm.

I do have an idea or two on how to add them in the future though, but will be more expensive.

And I find it to be more stressful to make the buds after I sold it. Because if something goes wrong, that would be bad.

1 Like

Whats the saying again? oh right, please like and follow. :wink:

5 Likes

Can’t tell for the rider cable but the berserker cable seems perfect for a 2.5mm plug with it 4 cores.

My idea right now is to either go the mmcx extended cable. Or to go modular.

Oh no, the pitchforks incoming.

In before apple dongle.

3 Likes

Waiting patiently for that beryllium :notes: First come first serve boys!

4 Likes

I might hold out until you get to the Mumen Rider.

3 Likes

there’s also two way to make it happen in a lower price than modular. you can make them 2.5 and no MMCX to avoid sonic change, then include a little 2.5 to 3.5 convertor cable. I think it’ll be convenient and also much cheaper than modular…!
you can also go in route of sth like koss KPH40 utility series. it has a cable with a 2.5 mm jack, then includes an AUX cable with one way 2.5mm male and the other 3.5mm. they also sell 2.5 mm - USB C and lightning cables seperately

Issue with that route is that I have to make the cable from scratch because there are no balanced cables in semi-finished (= non soldered 2pin/mmcx) condition.

The other problem is that I have to pick between 2.5mm and 4.4mm. I believe most people have 4.4mm nowadays though…
(and I dont have any 2.5mm sources either.)

2 Likes

Current (2) Grand Rider 1 units have been sold.

oh and I forgot I had some amazon gift card credits. Went and ordered this:

Another Sony into the collection. :rofl:
At only 17 usd. :fire:

5 Likes

Nice! That beryllium driver is really detailed and punchy. I got the same one a few days ago with a bunch of other DIY parts, it responds extremely well to EQ. A substantial upgrade to my Yincrow X6 and VE Monk.

2 Likes

I would like to try them on my Feliks Echo Mk II OTL amp. That being said I love the description of the Grand Rider, and I need a good set of buds. Hoping to one day buy these. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Rikudou_Goku any indications on the “Chaconne killer” driver’s impedance/sensitivity yet? I am about to decide whether to keep or not to keep A55 Sony DAP, but it is extremely underpowered in general and your earbud should be the last piece in my collection to complete the picture :slight_smile:

If that would be 150 Ohm - then the question out of curiosity - why would you prefer that above something easier to drive design wise?

1 Like

oh right, I discovered another model that has even closer tonality to the Chaconne. Only a bit bassier than the Chaconne but less than the “chaconne killer” I had in mind before.

This one is 68 ohm.

The other I was talking about before is 130 ohm.

3 Likes

Do manufacturers of those drivers specify the base sensitivity? Or it does not make sense since the shell, type of outlet and dampers make that much of a difference for the final dB SPL that it does not make sense to provide that?

Some do.

But kinda useless, since they dont follow the usual db/mw standard (they dont specify it). Most DIYers usually ignore the sensitivity they list.

Also because changing the dampers will affect it as well.

1 Like

Hope it is not really 114dB/W as it would mean really that I need power plant instead of DAP…

That is really painful about shopping in China, even some expensive stuff manuracturers have some Chinese English version of wording translated by Google translate on their 2001 style html websites…

1 Like

haha, yeah no way. its probably db/mw. (or db/vrms)

yeah, its a pain…