RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

Have you guys heard the Sennheiser IE300? I never heard a single dynamic IEM and i am considering it because Amazon has it in stock and i can just return it if i dislike it.

I am wondering if they can outperform the Fiio FD5, seems like most reviewers like the IE300 quite a bit, the main complain is that it is V-shaped, which is actually the type of sound i like.

I havent unfortunately. But indeed, getting it from amazon is pretty risk free if you want to return it.

1 Like

Go for it.

1 Like

I am thinking to upgrade my FiiO FH3 stock cable (LC 3.5 B) to 4.4 balanced. Should I get FiiO LC 4.4 C or cheaper china brands such as Faaeal, Tri Through? Not sure if the sound improvement will be significant or not.

Cables wont improve the sound…

Get them based on aesthetics, the cables in my list are the better ones in terms of objective measurements though.

3 Likes

I wish more people would understand that cables wont improve sound, this is always a frustrating conversation to have with those spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars on cables…

Silver for brighter sound, copper for warmer sound, lol

2 Likes

You know how it is…audiophiles gotta be audiofools as well…

2 Likes

Here is a reminder to join my discord server if you havent lol.

3 Likes

Pulled the trigger on the IE300, it will arrive tomorrow. Ill let you guys know how it sounds to my ears soon, hahaha

3 Likes

1 day delivery? Damn…wished I got 10% of that delivery speed…

1 Like

Yep Amazon is the best man, 1 day FREE delivery for prime members, hahaha

Have you ever owned/heard a high end cable? How about a nice cable on a flagship IEM? Cables generally won’t improve the lower end sets as much nor does it make sense to spend on a expensive cable for something at the low end. On the TOTL sets (and even some lower tier sets) I’ve heard, it is a noticible difference that is entirely paring specific and is a meaningful upgrade, based on my own observations and experience.

I guess what I’m trying to get across is you really shouldn’t discredit other people’s subjective experiences with opinions stated as fact. Especially since I’m betting neither of you have any meaningful experience with high end cables. if that assumption is wrong I apologize and would love to read about your experience.

5 Likes

Your assumption is indeed wrong, i have heard super expensive cables and the sound was exactlt the same, furthermore people have used extremelly precise equipment to measure the sonic results between cables, there is no difference at all.in the frequency response.

I always challange people for blind tests when it comes to cables, you know how many agreed to take a blind test? Take a guess, lol

As you said others subjective experience take the cable looks and price as part of the experience, that is my best guess, placebo is not a dumb person’s inclination, it is a very real thing and we can all experience it. A blind test would take that portion away from the equasion.

Honestly, those who feel like expensive cables make the sound better are presenting their opinios as facts just as much as i am, the difference is, i have actual data to backup my findings.

I dont mean to be rude here, i am not calling you out, just explaining my stance on this based on your remarks. If you care about proving those who believe the same as i do wrong a blind test video is all you need, there is a reason such video simply does not exist…

3 Likes

It is the reason I despise Ali Express. I usually buy EVERYTHING from Amazon. I get ridiculously fast delivery times, even on Sunday and I can return anything no questions asked. LOVE Amazon.

2 Likes

which ones? on what iems? about how long did you lsiten to the cable? interested in more info on your experience.

Alot of the effects I’ve observed with cables are mostly time domain apects that aren’t reflected in FR graphs or any measurments (that i know of) for that matter. Stuff like staging, depth, width, texture, attack, decay, tonality, timbre etc. so it doesn’t suprise me it’s not in the graphs. How would you account for these things in your data?

I won’t take one either, i have no interest in doing a blind test. I trust my ears and listening skills and have nothing to prove.

I agree with this. placebo is a real thing to an extent so is confirmation bias to an extent. I will not sit here and tell you that I’m exempt from these effects. How much this affects the listener is up in the air though and I don’t believe it disproves the acoustic differences i have percieved.

How so? you are generalizing a lot of people here. Yes some people do present their opinions on cables as fact but more often than not it’s presented as a opinion too. I actually see way more people on your side of the fence doing the whole im right your wrong stance. In your original post you might as well had said you wished more people would share the same opinion as you do… except you didn’t word it like that instead you stated it like its a fact that cables don’t make a sound difference. Why would it be frustrating, shouldn’t you just respect someones opinion and move on? Like I’m about to do right now becasue I realize I should have not engaged in this lol I was just curious in what led you to that stance and now i know.

5 Likes

Sorry bro i should have not engaged on this conversation as well, this topic does not deserve a conversation from my experience, i am yet to see constructive conversation about this, it just does not happen.

I do respect your preferences, you should enjoy your high end cables and i should enjoy the fact my Focal Clear is connected to a $20 cable, that is what work for each one of us, just wished anyone would accept the blind test at some point because i believe it would settle things, but it is what it is! Hahaha

My 2 cents…

For the record, I’ve heard the differences cables can make, that’s why I’m always interested in what @Rikudou_Goku is doing with his cable reviews, searching out better performing cables with the best prices. He’s doing gods work, thank you @Rikudou_Goku !

I can see how some may never be able to hear the differences for so many reasons, but either way we shouldn’t discredit anyone for their thoughts and beliefs. Obviously some people feel cable quality and materials make a difference and some do not and that’s all cool.

I personally feel everything in the chain makes a difference. How big that difference is, how much that difference costs and if it’s worthwhile to chase for some percentage of benefit is subjective. A lot of this can’t even be judged by better or worse, just different.

This is also exactly my observations as well. There might be some tonality shifts with different cable materials (silver/copper/gold) but they are very minimal vs the effects of staging and imaging and the sense of speed which is more obvious than FR.

For the record, I’ve never been able to discern a difference in sound quality from different cables on any of my full sized headphones. Only in my IEMs. Focal Clear MG Pro, ZMF Aeolus, Lawton modded TR-X00 to name a few.

5 Likes

Personally I have found for headphones I care if a cable sounds better, with in reason of the price of the cable to the setup and the amount of improvement…

For IEMs comfort is king. No amount of improvement in sound will make up for ergonomics with an IEM cable to me personally.

To me the most obvious reason behind any sound differences there may be between cables is volume, which can be changed by different impedances when you compare two cables. Impedance btw is something which is never discussed when people are comparing cables from what i saw so far, and it is imo the only thing that should be discussed when it comes to sound.

More volume can make you perceive all aspects of sound differently, but again, to each their own. I am 100% satisfied with my findings and i will never again spend money on cables unless i want specific looks / ergonomics.

1 Like

I had both of these hybrid cables custom made for me, 24 core, silver and copper. No difference in sound quality vs the crap vacuum cable the headphones originally came with. lol

Now… IEMs on the other hand, I can hear differences.

1 Like