Rumors and new releases thread

Interesting config. If it’s somehow a full sized planar.

6 Likes

who wants a mobile IEM DAC that’s le Tiny?

Jcally JA3 wants a word with you.

3 Likes

yeah, this one from PA is smaller than that. part of it is due to it requiring a OTG cable with male Type-C connectors either end. but overall, I think it would be shorter even with a male Type-C port. not by much…but still smaller.

Curious about the OI on it. The JA3 is only around 0.2ohm with 1Vrms output.

1 Like

Aegir 2, Valhalla 3, and Gungnir 2 coming in 2024. Along with some other things.

Gungnir 2 will be $1600+ though. Around the same price as the cheaper Yggy that they’ve been selling.

5 Likes

Shozy aqua (seems to be model name, but green one is called Midori?)

Not on Shozy’s site atm but on Ali:

$109.00 | Shozy Aqua / Midori In Ear Monitor Earphone HiFI Planar-DD Composite ACG 0.78 2pin Wired Earbuds Angelears Abyssal
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLqyrwM

1 Like

After many different revisions of the OG T2, TinHifi has finally released the actual mark 2.

2 Likes

Midori is green in japanese.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Yup, aware… Just not sure if aqua is the model name as they are using that to describe the blue variant at the same level as midori for the green.

3 Likes

Ploopy…a 3D printed open back planar headphone.

Unless it’s a new revision I do t think they’re new…
Love ploopy things though.

3 Likes

Circling back, since I saw this preorder today Popcorn time, I guess…

1 Like

Fortunate enough to still be able to test the Ace 2 I gifted with my other sets during the holidays.

With further sighted testing, I’m still not completely sold on the DD + xMEMS hybrid configuration, because even with a better DD implementation, xMEMS drivers have such a jarring difference in resolution and smoothness, emphasis on the latter. I’m using Abyss’ headphone test segments where you’re presented with full track + isolated vocals and that driver with the vocals alone, no hyperbole, crushes all other IEM driver configurations I’ve heard (AMT, Planar, Multi-BA, etc.) I can’t help but feel that even the best bass DD paired with it would still come off flabby in comparison. Slight hotness in the treble, but it’s not the grating kind.

I think stage and separation still need work, but all that requires is an optimal setup whether that’s using that new Cypress full-range or some multi-config like how we treat BAs (?)

If they can get the above done with tuning & timbre down with a full xMEMS set will be the day everything else in my collection goes on sale. It seems like I’m just shilling them outright, but as I’m sitting down comparing it with kilobuck sets I feel like I’m losing my sanity. It’s right around matching my LCD-5 with EQ for textural nuance in the vocals & treble… dafuq

(Oops, meant for this to be a short spiel about Noble’s solution, but went a bit off the rails. Should probably be moved to the IEM discussion thread)

1 Like

Fantastic find , for a fantastic sounding set , extremely smooth and balanced.
What a crazy good value.
Pula PA02
1x 10mm DD
4 x Knowles BA

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPV72oy

Cable is the NiceHCK GrrenMood

9 Likes

I am assuming that the xmems, being based on piezos have a lot faster attack/decay than DDs typically do which Is why I assume the coherency is not going to be too good as the drivers will be very distinct from each other. I believe a BA woofer or perhaps a Planar woofer would be a better match for the xmems drivers in terms of coherency.

6 Likes

My copy of TempoTec V3 DAP arrived.

To those who haven’t heard of it: it’s a small-ish DAP running HiBy OS, featuring 2 pieces of AK4493SEQ inside, with 4.4BAL and 3.5SE outputs - everything coming at a cost of $200.

First impressions below. A proper review with a bunch of photos coming in a few weeks.

Build quality - great.

It’s an ergonomic, well-made piece of work. The playback buttons might’ve benefitted from a tiny bit more “clicky” feeling, but you’ll definitely know if you pressed it. Volume buttons (V3 doesn’t have a volume wheel) are slightly more tactile.

I’m not a huge fan of a glass back, especially when there is no protective case available. Okay, the front display and the back glass surface are covered with a thin film by default, but it’ll get scratched easily during everyday use.

As mentioned before: V3 runs on a HiBy OS, which I know very well from HiBy R2 II. The only difference I can spot is boot logo swap - TempoTec instead of HiBy.

How do I like HiBy OS in general? It’s okay, but not the best implementation of audio listening software. Quite specific, but functional.

Don’t be fooled by its Tidal support. Tidal requires you to confirm your sign-in every 24 hr, since it can’t save the token properly. I haven’t tested Qobuz, as it’s not available in my country.

Sound - I’ll write more about it in the review, after I spend enough time with this small brawler. To not keep you waiting: I’m happy with it and it seems to be just what I expected.

Any questions, anyone?

6 Likes

Not seen this before :thinking:

1 Like

not sure I agree with their definition of excellent but hey at least they have the balls to show the graph
Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 11-20-18 Sineaptic - World's First Dual Ribbon Array Driver Wireless Headphones

8 Likes