Rumors and new releases thread

Another dongle DAC/Amp in the horizon. Dunu is adventuring outside IEMs.

3 Likes

Surprisingly a lot of Brazilian reviewers got these really early on. Make me hopefull for more Stack stuff in my country.

3 Likes

They have before with the DTC100. Looks like a good design and I have trust for Dunu.

1 Like

oh dang this looks good, if this gets low enough in price as wireless headphones tend to do near end of life I might pick up a pair

1 Like

HAH! it looks like a hover car in the pic on the left, LoL!!!

1 Like

3 Likes

looks like the Tesla Cyberdongle lol

2 Likes

Moondrop Planar headphone

4 Likes

Oh no… Oh no… Don’t make me apologize to my wallet more…

1 Like

Cashing in on misspelled search engine queries for the Vernus, eh?

After having explored the IEM world a little bit, I recently got to try the Hifiman XS… the first new open back headphone I tried in years and I am not gonna lie: I was pretty disappointed. There was a reason that I swore of over ear headphones in favor of IEMs.

So I think it’s kind of sad to see Moondrop moving their attention away from IEMs to dongles, mechanical keyboards and over ears.

5 Likes

Letshouer new single DD D13 IEM for circa 70$ apparently. No official news yet, but looks interesting.
I don’t need anything, but I think I would pull a trigger out of curiosity knowing their general quality and tuning :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Fit-wise it looks like the type of Dunu that fits me wonderfully!

1 Like

Why swore of headphones? Weight, heat in the cups, No bass shelf on open backs like on IEMs ?

To be fair, I didn’t try closed backs, but yes: Just going by sound it felt with the XS that I miss half of the frequency spectrum compared to IEMs. That includes a major lack of bass, but it is a bigger issue than just that. When I turn up the volume there seem to be certrain frequency ranges that get too loud very soon, while 90% of the other frequencies aren’t close to loud yet. The Beyerdynamic DT990 is a bit better in the bass department, but suffers the same fundamental issues. I don’t have the issue with IEMs or speakers.

But than you already listed some other factors: They take more space/weight than IEMs, they are more picky when it comes to sources (you can’t just run them of smartphones or laptops), they mess up your haircut, they are less comfortable (at least to me) than IEMs and have a worse price/performance ratio (I would take the 20$ Chu over the 500$ XS easily just on sound alone), less isolation, etc… The only major pro the Hifiman XS had over IEMs is a bigger stage if you ask me. Couldn’t point to any other thing.

2 Likes

I think you are more like me, where as you say, majority of the headphone out there lack a ton of bass.

You might enjoy the stuff that is branded as “basshead” headphones more.
Otherwise I think you should give the Koss Porta Pro or the Koss KPH30i a try.

2 Likes

I’m curious, what did you pair the XS with? I ask because I was planning to get them as an upgrade to Sundara. I read that they may sound harsh if under powered.

Know what you mean. Since I had a Hifiman Ananda paired with a iFi Xcan and its xBass function it’s hard to listen to “normal” open backs with neutral (less than harman) or even rolled off bass anymore. EQ or some bass boost function is required.

For my part I don’t like the feeling of IEMs. I already have a Thieaudio Legacy 3 CIEM but still, having something stuck in your ears all time is not mine…

You don’t want to EQ?

Perception of Bass is weird. For me, I value quality of bass over quantity but what I feel is acceptable for bass isn’t viewed that way by others. For example my Nectar HiveX electostats provide excellent quality bass and substantial enough that I don’t need to add a bass shelf. That being said, adding a bass shelf is nice too! For open backs, my Grade RS2X with G pads provides awesome sub bass and very good bass. The Focal’s provide more slam like the Clears. That being said, Slam isn’t something I really value in Bass or I simply have difficulty perceiving it.

Sure, preferences differ. I know people who seemed to be completely unable to get a good fit with any IEM at all. For me that is not an issue though, as I find most IEMs more comfortable than over ears.

I am not opposed to EQ, but prefer not to use it if it isn’t necessary and I try to avoid buying stuff where eq is necessary. For me it is mostly a matter of convenience. Turning it on/off or changing it depending on the gear gets annoying for me and depending on the settings there can be a degradation in sound quality (resonances/incoherencies/etc… I think this is often omitted when talking about eq). Not to speak of the time investment to find proper eq settings (at least for me).

@John7592jdys creative sound blasterx g6. Can’t remember specifics, but I believe there was a lot of headroom left on the volume dial.

2 Likes