Rumors and new releases thread

I think its extremely annoying how more and more audio companies are looking for a way into the keyboard industry.

Fiio’s got a keyboard coming, HiFiGo is now selling keyboards, and now Moondrop. I think they are just looking to exploit the keyboard industry, they realized how much money is on the line :wink:

Pretty scummy, if you ask me.

4 Likes

it’s not exploiting, per say…they see something that is exploding in popularity and are trying their hand at providing a solution…I said per say, as they’re pretty much relying on their fan base to make the venture a success. granted, this is something they do with every product release, however this one is from left field and nothing to do with what they’re reputation is based on.

I hope the audio companies come out with keyboards that have audio control focus built into them.

2 Likes

The last part is something that I also thought about. If it’s that, then it’s a different story :wink:

Built-in audio products in keyboards. That I would be okay with.

1 Like

I’m thinking more along dedicated audio controls…volume knobs, play, fwd, back, pause buttons and others related features / functions.

2 Likes

But imagine a built-in DAP or like a flagship DAC/amplifier.

It would be an extremely niche product with a very, very small customer base. Because, who in the right mind would want a flagship product “stuck” in a keyboard? I’m just thinking out loud.

Desk space is limited for some, so I guess that sticking a quality amp or dac into a keyboard isn’t all that insane to imagine. I just don’t see it being successful business-wise.

2 Likes

it may have a niche market…but unless it was one of the mobile DAC / Amps, it would make for bulky and possibly uncomfortably hot keyboard…and what happens if the keyboard or the DAC / Amp breaks down?

2 Likes

You are asking the right questions!

That’s probably one among many reasons why we might not see such a product

2 Likes

I can see nice playback controls on good mechanical keyboard. When I had a small desk, I kept using an older IBM membrane keyboard because it was small ( TKL ), decent for typing, and had great audio controls. I don’t want integrated dac / amp hardware, because then I have to find the hardware in the keyboard I find acceptable, which will be a pain, and then when something breaks I have to replace both.

My current setup is a mech keyboard ( I have a couple and switch depending on the type of work I am doing ), with a USB volume knob connected to a USB hub.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MV411BR/

2 Likes

I want more than a volume control. I actually have an MX keyboard with a knob…but I was trying to sell it for more headphone stuff…I’ve got a couple MX Master mice too and some other things.

2 Likes

That dial also does mute on press, plus next and previous track. I wish it had a pause.

That old IBM keyboard, had volume up/down buttons, mute, play/pause, next, prev, plus some app launcher buttons. I just decided that I couldn’t take the membrane keyboard any longer. I have a Womier with red switches, and a GMMK with clear.

After years with MX mice, I gave up on Logitech, the switches never lasted longer than 12 months. About a year ago I switched to the Glorious Model O Wireless, and the fact that it is still working without random double clicks makes that a total win for me. The G305 is my travel mouse, but it is half the price of the MX Anywhere.

2 Likes

For 5€ on Ikea: https://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/p/moejlighet-support-tablette-casque-audio-blanc-00493846/

The thing is a bit large, so it may not be suited for every headphone (my dt770 sits on it rather than around it for example), but at that price…

2 Likes

oh lol, its 2.7 euro (29 SEK) here in Sweden. :joy:

That name though. (“Possibility”)

1 Like

what do you think of the IKEA CEO winning the Sweden vote for prime minister? I read he’s currently building his cabinet…

ba dum tish …I will see myself out :wink:

Ba Dum Tsss Drum GIFfrom Ba Dum Tsss GIFs

the multimedia keyboards from the early 2000’s were great for those features!!!

you saying ‘IBM keyboard’ made me remember my buddy in Florida…he used an ancient IBM AT keyboard, the ones that have that huge 5 pin connector that I think was bigger than an XLR? he had an AT to ATX when I met him in the mid-2000’s and then added an ATX to USB adapter until the USB adapter broke and he couldn’t find a replacement anywhere. that’s when he retired his IBM AT keyboard.

1 Like

That’s interesting, it’s almost directly German - möglichkeit!

So many overlaps in European languages.

3 Likes

Not audio/anime? Aint interested. :rofl:

1 Like

You win the prize, I think that keyboard is from sometime between 2000-2002, and still works. I just had it plugged into a Linux server a week or two ago.

It used USB, but the branding on it was IBM, I think it came with a desktop computer back when I work as a Computer Science instructor. When I left that job, I swapped a keyboard I didn’t like from home, and took it home. It was my keyboard for my home office for nearly a decade.

Yes, the connectors get weird, because there was the AT connectors, and I think you are correct that they were bigger than XLR. There was a bus mouse connector that was a like a larger PS2 connector, and it was from the same time period at the AT connectors. PS2 replaced those, and then USB replaced them.

1 Like

boy…we’re old, LoL!

1 Like

Measurments for Edifier Stax Spirit S3

3 Likes

ooooh…that’s a w shaped sound signature…I might like these!!! :smiley:

1 Like