Rumors and new releases thread

There are 2 types of “2 DD” drivers. One is a coaxial driver, which is pretty much like what you said. Examples being Dunu Vulkan

and BGVP NS10

Then there is the other type where the DDs are actually separate parts.
Like the UM 3DT

or the Shanling ME800

9 Likes

SMSL rival to the Douk U2pro? type C input, I2s coax or optical out, a switch for swapping i2s modes

basically the same as above but RCA outs instead of i2s

seem pretty neat for how small they seem to be

2 Likes

What are the (theoretical) benefits of 2DD system like the one in Dunu Vulkan? Lower distortion, bigger tuning possibilities?

That PO100PRO looks straight up good. 75ps jitter is lower than a Singxer SU-6. I’ve been saying for a while that the upgraded U2 pro has something to it. Maybe it’s because of the simplicity so there’s less to go wrong but I could see SMSL pulling off a huge leap over the Douk U2 Pro/CMD-17 because of using higher quality parts and better chips. Only thing that might not be as good is maybe phase noise if the SMSL clocks aren’t as good as a Crystek 957, but the jitter alone looks pretty damn promising.

Oh and it has an i2s switch for the 2 main pinouts.

2 Likes

Its all about implementation. But at least the coaxial DD can handle more power than a single DD and thus higher volume without distortion or risking damaging the driver.

2 Likes

yeah I ordered one hoping its worth over stock U2pro, it also says it supports higher bitrate and hopefully won’t have the super sketch drivers that don’t work most of the time lol

2 Likes

Please give some impressions after you got it :pleading_face: want to see if it’s good to replace my broken toslink from my Mobo :grin:

1 Like

Some new Schiit.

https://www.schiit.com/news/news/a-decade-of-progress

Modi+, Magni+, Magni Heretic (OP-Amps)

https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-plus

2 Likes

@Nr48 Looks like some upgrades there. I am very happy with my Schiit
products…currently BF2 OG, Loki mini, and Asgard 3.

1 Like

Good stuff but hard to get here over in Europe and if then at higher prices where it is hard to justify it anymore against SMSL / Sabaj / Topping stuff. Also I need something with a remote but Schiit and remotes seem to not like each other.

Example

Bildschirmfoto vom 2022-11-16 15-41-47

Bildschirmfoto vom 2022-11-16 15-40-39

2 Likes

Yeah, both Schiit and JDS are like that…
I imported both my JDS Atom and the Schiit Asgard 3 from their US site. Paid 200 usd in total for the Atom (MSRP 100) and 350 usd for the Asgard 3 (MSRP 200).

3 Likes

Yamaha YH-5000SE has been officially announced. The US MSRP: $4999

3 Likes

5k for the little baby sized (50mm) Fostex like planar driver? oha…

3 Likes

Over half a decade of invested time and work, I doubt it has anything common with Fostex’s drivers. Yamaha is a veteran, and I trust their experience and knowledge.

I think it’s dumb to say that considering the blatant bs present in this price range by other companies. None of them come anywhere close to Yamaha’s scale, and that’s a fact. The expertise that Yamaha has is something that only a few in this space possess.

If anyone can make a true 5k flagship, it’s companies like Yamaha, Sennheiser, and Sony. The rest can compete, but when it comes to big corpos investing their money, they don’t mess around. And yes, technically Sennheiser is a family-owned business, but let’s be real, they are corporate-level.

However, performance will tell. This is one of the few times that I have expectations. As always, I’m open to being proven wrong =)

Also, I agree 5k is a shit ton of money!

3 Likes

I think I agree with you here. If I was in the market for something in this range, this would get serious consideration. But I would have to audition them first before I wrote that check! Looking forward to seeing the reviews.

1 Like

I don’t think that is true any longer, the consumer audio division was sold last year to Sonova. I haven’t read details about the continuity plan, but they are definitely corporate today.

1 Like

Also kept that in mind while writing, but my focus was on when Sennheiser made the HD800/HD800s.

1 Like

That makes a ton of sense, and I am sure there next open back model will be scrutinized more than usual, because of the change.

1 Like

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802196568674.html

2DD for $17. Modder’s delight?

1 Like

$30ish single DDs are on the rise right now!

Not a single review for it. I expect in a few days there’ll be a review from Dsnuts for what that’s worth (no offense, I personally find them of little use in making decisions) but that it’ll take a month or so to have a genuine customer review.

2 Likes