Rumors and new releases thread

Quite surprised this hasn’t been posted here yet:
iBasso DX340 (price & full specs TBA). It was posted to their FB that the battery will be easily replaceable.

And what I consider to be quite significant industry news is that iBasso will FINALLY be releasing desktop audio gear. I’m particularly excited about this because I’ve been waiting for this for so any years. If you’re familiar with what iBasso has done with its MAX series of DAPs, you hopefully understand just how exciting it is to hear that the engineers will no longer be limited by size =)

9 Likes

The desktop products look legit, love the industrial design look. It kinda reminds me of the classic “cheese grater” Mac Pro. :+1:

3 Likes

Hahahaha, I can totally see that! However, I like how both of them look. Seeing those polished edges tells me that the design is going to be quite similar to the MAX series.

1 Like

All those vent holes at the top just seems like a pretty bad design choice because they WILL get dust stuck inside it like that…

1 Like

Trust me when I say that iBasso will every ounce of thought into it. If you think that the holes will stay wide open for dust to fall inside, I’m pretty sure that you will be mistaken.

I was quite impressed taking a peek inside all iBasso products that I got my hands on: multiple DAPs, SR2 & SR3 headphones. The headphones, for example, have a acoustically transparent dust cover that appears to be fully sealed (how this works exactly, I have no idea).

I’m glad that you immediately thought about that. One of the best ways to perfect anything is to start analyzing it and searching for any flaws. I genuinely hope that’s iBasso’s approach for the desktop products, just as it was for its portable ones.

I have had pretty shitty experiences with Ibasso products, such as the IT00 (driver flex like no tomorrow) and the DX160 which…has a ton of issues…

That filter might just be dense af so the acoustic impedance is high af and isnt really letting in/out air.

2 Likes

Understandable. You lost faith in the company and its QC due to your bad experience with the two said products. I never got my hands on an iBasso IEM, but I know how much of a pain in the ass driver flex is. iBasso’s customer support is among the best in the industry, and this is a pretty known thing. The only times I heard about people not being taken care of is when they purchased the products from an unauthorized dealer or a 3rd party.
I have the DX300, DX320, DX300MAX SS, DX320MAX Ti. The DX300 works perfectly, I had some screen lockouts on the DX320 (haven’t updated to the latest FW yet), the DX300MAX is mostly problem-free like the DX300, and I never had any problem with the DX320MAX. For reference, the DX320MAX is my most used DAP, and even with that one, I am on quite an outdated FW version.

The SR2 and SR3 are exceptional headphones, that I assure you of. I wrote all my thoughts in my two reviews. The only reported problem there is related to the old batch of the SR2, where the plastic piece holding the leather headband in place broke apart. This was later fixed with the use of a metal piece. Aside from that, as far as I am concerned, both of those headphones are flawless—subjectively speaking

My praise for the company strictly comes from personal experience with all of the products above.

3 Likes

This wasnt a QC thing, its a design issue. As everyone that had both of them had the same issues I had with both of them.

2 Likes

Personally, I’m not familiar with either the DX160 or the IT00, so I’m not familiar with their flaws and problems either. I mentioned QC because driver flex is usually a QC problem.

I’m just sharing my experience with a wider range of products, trying to let you know that those two products shouldn’t define iBasso nor its whole product range.

1 Like

In some cases it can be, but usually it is due to a combination of poor venting (design issue) and/or bad match with anatomy.

2 Likes

The iBasso I know listens to its customers’ feedback and takes it utmost seriously. I would naturally, and quite naively so, assume that the company learned from its past mistakes. That’s the iBasso I know. However, considering that I’m not closely following its budget-friendly range of products, I cannot say whether anything has changed. Paul usually keeps up with the Head-Fi threads for iBasso products, and if there is a widely reported problem or issue, it’s usually addressed.

The first thing I was asked after cracking the DX320MAX back was to explain in great detail how I did it, because its team didn’t manage to crack it in the development stage. This tells me that iBasso wanted to understand how the problem occurred, so it can be prevented in the future.

My experience with iBasso is the polar opposite, very positive. Aside from personal experience, I’m a supported of iBasso because of its approach, its accomplishments, and honestly, as someone who spent a lot of time in the iBasso threads, seeing how the company interacts with its customers showed me that its very caring… even generous more often than not!

You are very familiar with the problems that the DX160 and IT00 have. My suggestion is that you reach out to iBasso, and ask whether the current line-up (successors of those two products) suffers from the same problems. Even better, ask whether they addressed and fixed those problems, and if so, how. This will allow you to gain knowledge whether anything was done internally to guarantee that those problems aren’t affecting the current and future products.

1 Like
4 Likes

Aune SR7000
New closed-back headphpnes

6 Likes

Looks open/semi open to me. Not busting balls though.

3 Likes

I don’t know what’s worse, the look of it or the marketing for it. Looks so wacky :confused:
my 2 cents

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/1fl6iwk/a_bunch_of_new_moondrop_products/

"

In order of appearance:

Moondrop M4P MTM: new speaker with double 4 inch carbon fiber subwoofers and MTM architecture

Moondrop Kadenz: seems to be Kato 2 with “TAC diamon-coated diaphragm”

Moondrop Concerto: a collab with ddhifi, DD+ xMEMs drivers, built in USB-C from ddhifi (and probably DSP)

Moondrop Moca: this is like, what…the 7th time they reused the Nekocake shell ? Ceramic diaphragm + wind noise reduction + Bluetooth LE 5.4 + ANC

Moondrop Discdream 2: sequel to the Discdream disk player
"

Moondrop M4P MTM: 1999 RMB (~USD284)

Moondrop Kadenz: 999 RMB (~USD142)

Moondrop Concerto: 1999 RMB (~USD284).

Moondrop Moca: 299 RMB (~USD43)

Moondrop Discdream 2: 799 RMB (~USD114)

That DD+Xmems is pretty expensive.

3 Likes

The surface specs of the speaker make it look on paper like a Moondrop version of the RSL CG23M (4" Aramid woofers in an MTM) without the front ports. If they’re anything like the CG23M then they could be pretty good but will need a sub to fill in literally any subbass.
Edit: I stand corrected, apparently the tweeter is an AlMg metaldome.

1 Like

Yeah, that CG23M goes down to 80hz on their specs so sub bass really is missing.

The design overall looks kinda similar so I wouldnt expect much more sub bass and since this IS a moondrop product, definitely expect low bass (their CEO hates bass lol).

1 Like

I can personally confirm this since I own a pair haha, and it’s entirely by design since they want the drivers to play in their best ranges and the company is basically centered around their subs anyway. They are great little budget speakers though and they do what they do VERY well, especially soundstage depth. Best I have ever heard on speakers that weren’t open baffle.

1 Like

It is pretty interesting though that this smaller and cheaper speaker can apparently go lower.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006578161841.html

It is possible that it can actually extend lower with a smaller size, but the trade off would be volume (according to the hoffman’s iron law).

1 Like