Rumors and new releases thread

I believe that it was a compromise made to prevent excess distortion and breakup from the speakers; their CG5s did down to like ~65hz clean and COULD have gone lower, but they purposely limited them since, again, they’re designed to be in an X.1/X.2 setup. The little RB42s go lower with a single 4" woofer instead of MTM, in a smaller box with a single rear port, but they don’t play nearly as clean as the CG23Ms do. It’s all about design tradeoffs, as you said. The CG23M is also pretty damned sensitive for a bookshelf; I also have the Buchardt S300 MkII (which are a way larger box and have a larger woofer) which dig down far deeper, but it’s a difference of like 7-10 volume steps to volume match between the two on the same preamp/amp setup.
Edit: the pair you posted also look to be active, which means there could be some DSP fuckery as well to achieve output and extension (used in little wunderkind speakers like Vanatoo’s T0/T1 and the iLoud series).

2 Likes

I went from disgusted by the look to being interested in learning more about it.

Is that for a pair of speakers?

Very true. But also they want to sell speakers.

Imo the best is to get sealed speakers + subs. Too bad the trend has been to do ported speakers only

1 Like

I assume it is for a pair…but no details. other than someone claiming it comes with an SMSL Dac/amp.

2 Likes

It would be a great if it’s the price for the pair and they sound good

1 Like

@Rikudou_Goku @Cameleon30 There’s two bundles; one for just the speakers and another that comes with a SMSL DAC/amp which I think is supposed to be what they designed the speakers to run off of.

From this page via Google Translate: https://sat03labs-com.translate.goog/new_product_moondrop/?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

3 Likes

Somehow I hadn’t heard about the Hiby R1?

EDIT: Well that post is the only one I’ve seen and it was 39 minutes old so maybe that’s why

11 Likes

hard to fight M300, let’s see how this goes

1 Like

Goddamn FiiO just never stop coming out with sexy upgrades. And that design, oof. I’d almost click Buy Now just for that (so much better than those other radar-stealth 45-degree corners everywhere eyesores that have been taking over everything).

FiiO KA15

Don’t know who beat them into posting THD+N vs frequency graphs lately, but it’s really eye-opening. Shows how little we normally find out from the 1-kHz single-number THD+N that usually gets posted. You only look at that one and it seems the KA5 was the cleaner device at 0.00037% vs. the new one’s 0.0004, but the graph… LOL. High frequency THD+N for the KA5 shoots way up to 0.005 SE and 0.002 BAL, which barely even satisfies NwAvGuy criteria, while the KA15 keeps it below 0.001% (-100 dB) pretty much across the whole spectrum.