Rumors and new releases thread

I do like how it looks…though sorta wish the tubes were centered, but that’s just my OCD speaking.

I will wait on word on how well the balanced out put actually works.

Isn’t that the most problematic of Hifiman headbands though?

I know that people claimed that with the GL2000 that the dual sided version sounded better. How true this is, idk.

As @Mufflertape noted, the sensitivity has dropped from 93 dB to 91 dB (unless I’m mistaken, indicating a decrease in effeciency) while the impedance dropped from 35 ohms to 25. The top end of the rated frequency response has dropped from 35kHz down to 20kHz, not that it matters, as that’s still the range of human hearing. The weight may be a factor to pay attention to, as it jumped 50g, and I would still say my 4XX isn’t exactly a light headphone. Not crazy heavy, but not exactly light.
They claim that they made the sliders stronger, though those plastic caps are what I always remember being what people complained about, as they had a habit of falling off.

I’m sure by this point, it’s gernerally known that I’m in the band of not relying on these things, however: it looks like the newer model does have significantly less THD in the bass, and fluctuates to a lower degree.
Otherwise, it looks to have a smoother frequency response, extending into the sub bass without that roll off, or the 5.5k dip, the mid range looking pretty much the same.

1 Like

Yepp, but I guess they say its been improved so…no personal experience tho

Honestly speaking, this is an uninformed take but here goes…the double sided mag array is prob shit compared to the singled sided in the 4xx. Reason is the driver is less sensitive which has to do with the magnets. As far as the driver proper the traces are prob bigger and of a more conductive material to lower impedance. I do like the lower distortion in it, but the weight and saying its more efficent due to the mags is crap and not true per their own literature.

Immediately intrigued, of course. Very interesting to see the L/R separate volumed knobs. This is something you’d want to set and then control the input level to adjust overall volume. Flexibility for this is decreased quite a bit by the XLR only input. Won’t do this one right away, can’t justify it now, but… I’ll be watching close.

I wonder if thei sis a 400i se china model the one without stealth drivers repackaged with the old headband with drop branding

2 Likes
2 Likes

Eh, so probably not something I’ll be picking up. I still love my 4XX and is one of my most used headphones. Hell, I have an earlier revision that still had the dual 2.5mm connectors. Besides, I’ve got 9 other headphones, and now that the stock pads have been located for my DT990, and the balance/detachable cable mod has been done, I’m getting ready to sell them.

I ordered…gonna hone in that sub bass with a Hip Hop missle :rocket:

1 Like

https://www.schiit.com/about/news/magni-family-grows

Schiit IEMagni

5 Likes

Coooooool. Didn’t see that one coming. Very interested to see how this one is received. Might have to try it out.

1 Like

I almost guarantee that’s what it is. That video had a close up of the drivers and they weren’t stealth and all the specs are 400se China. Hifiman was also too lazy to ever remeasure the 400se stealth so those are the only specs out there.

1 Like

Interesting… yet the switch will still be on the back, I guess.

1 Like

I couldn’t quite figure out whether the IEMagni is based on 3+ or Heresy, anyone else knows anything about it? Also if it’s intended for IEM use, I would have thought they should add a 3.5mm jack there

1 Like

Pic on Schiit’s website shows IEMagni using an “Even More HERESY-ER” board.

PCB seems to match Heresy:

3 Likes

As good as Schiit’s designs are, you can always count on them dropping the ball on user experience.

A new amp with a dedicated low gain mode? Cool.

Gain switch still on the back? :roll_eyes: Not offering a 3.5mm output on the front? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Just be glad it isn’t on rolling backorder… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Those are the features saved for the IEMagni+ :laughing:

2 Likes

The PSU section looks different, the routing from the pot to the input stage is different, there is some more components next to the gain switch.

Thing is: For how sensitive and close to the ear IEMs are, it makes sense to use Op-Amps since they can have minute bias current. And less bias current means better noise floor.