Rupert Neve RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier

It could be lol… for someone…

Someone else that is.

But seriously, I get if you have the atom, or liquid spark and never listened to anything else you could be happy, the thx could be a step up possibly. Again if you didn’t know better or cared it could be end game as well.

However, if you want to go past that level or skip it all together the RNHP is hands down a better sounding amp. Though I wish it had a traditional gain switch.

1 Like

The vegetable, not sure beets can ever be good. Lol

1 Like

I can test on the Beats EP

Just note that the gain on ‘c’ input is an input gain… and not the traditional output gain on other amps. It adds like +12-14 db of gain… but it raises the noise floor by that amount as well. IMO… ‘a’ and ‘b’ are still better to use in most cases. ‘c’ is really just there for mobile devices, ipods… or sources with weak line level output.

1 Like

Yup. C is there as an option for monitoring playback from a portable device, like a mobile phone, or a media player.

Are you actually Rupert Neve and this has been a long game from the start?

6 Likes

Grandson I bet.

6 Likes

It’s funny to imagine the old man just typing away at a keyboard, laughing out loud as he convinces people to buy his amp… with a picture of Andrew Mason (Designer of the THX 789) on the wall with darts in it. A dart for every time someone on here buys the RNHP.

9 Likes

Lol thats what I thought

I have no comment regarding being related to Rupert Neve

8 Likes

That says everything, welcome Rupert and Happy Birthday :joy::joy:

Hey I didn’t say I was Rupert lol, I can confirm that I’m not

1 Like

I don’t know that there is another solid state amp after this one for me. I feel after this level you start chasing micro-detail at mega prices.

Though it can drive most of my headphones to deafening levels I wish it had a little more juice for high impedance models. Very happy with the purchase, especially at the discount.

I think you have to go through the other amps to fully appreciate this one. I also think its beneficial to have the other amps on hand for A/B testing.

Again it’s not that the other amps are bad it’s just the RNHP is more refined, and has more refined sound.

If you asked which amp that I’ve tried that sounds the closest, it’s probably the Archel 2.5 pro… But there is still anther level of awesome smeared on the RNHP that’s not found on the Archel 2.5… again, a but… The RNHP cost slightly more than twice as much.

3 Likes

The SPL Phonitor is the next step up.

3 Likes

So I really only recommend the rnhp when people have headphones like the clear or higher tier, I don’t know if the rnhp is worth it for something like the elex or other headphones below (also power hungry headphones aren’t it’s strong suit), I feel like you have to have a higher tier or headphone to appreciate it and for it to be actually worth the money. My picks for amps tends to be the heresy/atom or liquid spark, then the archel pro 2.5 and enog 2 or if you need more power the asgard 3 with a dac module, and after that the rnhp or the cayin iha6 if you need more power. Of course that will change depending on someones needs or the headphones they are pairing them with. There lots of awesome amps around the 500 and up, and it really comes down to synergy at that point. I just think if people actually want a taste of neutral, the rnhp is waiting for them. It just disappoints me when people have higher tier headphones paired with a thx, when they could be getting more out of them with a higher tier of amp. Of course budget is a concern for most, but even then I think something like the 2.5 + 2 stack outclasses a sp200

5 Likes

That makes sense, I do notice benefits on a few other headphones as well. I could see how the RNHP could be using a Cannon to kill a mosquito on some headphones. Like the 4xx

1 Like

With the 4xx I would actually prefer more power tbh, I like the liquid spark with the 4xx, or the heresy is also prob pretty sweet too. Then you can upgrade to the asgard 3 and I think that’s a further improvement

Wow, you really don’t like or respect the SP200, do you? Do you feel that way about all the THX amps?

It is actually starting to grow on me now. The Fostex’s love it.

I like to think of this as his THX to my Audeze…

Here is the thing, I have no issues with the sp200, it’s a solid performer at the price point, I am mainly referring to using it with higher end headphones like the clears. THX is great if you need good clean power for cheap and like a more analytical leaning signature, I would actually recommend a thx in that case. I just get slightly irked when people refer to the thx amps as the only truth in audio or some garbage like that. Personally I tend to prefer the archel and enog stack more at that range if you want more neutral, but if you wanted something with lots of oomph for planars or other headphones that can slam or a brighter signature with headphones under the 1k mark, thx makes sense imo

3 Likes