Rupert Neve RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier

I feel the same about most remotes in a desktop situation.

That Lego solution is basically my legacy. My only real contribution to the world so far. :joy:

11 Likes

And a fine and useful legacy it is. :+1:t4:

3 Likes

Perhaps get in contact with neve and see if you can get it implemented in the next neve amp lol

1 Like

So could you ask you dad, Rupert Sr., if the company will buy my idea?

:joy::joy:

5 Likes

IDK, getting the licensing from lego and bostik might be difficult lol

2 Likes

But I thought you were Elon Musk, @M0N? :thinking:

1 Like

I would actually have to be smart if that were the case lol

1 Like

Could do a switch in the back to dimm the LEDs

1 Like

That’s too elegant of a solution lol, or perhaps they will add that to the field lice models to make people switch over lol. For a studio product, if the lights ain’t bright, it ain’t workin

A thing I’ve noticed as I’m trying to read this entire thread (yeah, all of it). Seeing the power people are reporting, maybe mine is somehow putting out higher volumes? It seems to put out a lot more volume on my 4xx and LCD2c than the 789 with the gain set at 2/3. In order to match the rnhp at 10oclock I have the THX at about 12. Maybe my THX is broken, or Neve started making the rnhp with higher default gain (this is fed through rca).

Something else I notice about this Amp and My LP is that I can handle a much higher volume across all my headphones. Nothing seems to get … painful or harsh. I guess that means they’re better? Or the THX, CTH and Heresy are all just harsh af.

Overall feeling like this is a keeper, a friend of mine has some carbon fiber wrap material I can “fix” the aesthetic with, also while the front cover is off I can paint the buttons or something so I don’t die. My buddy says they fix lights in his studio like this with electrical tape, but I’m unwilling to look at that and don’t have any legos as my son is too young for them and my old collection is gone.

1 Like

So the neve amp has lots of gain but not a lot of power, but that allows it to drive headphones without pushing the volume cleanly. It also depends on how much your dac gives in terms of it’s signal strength, your rme is most likely putting out a very strong signal (if you are using that one). If you use input C you will get even more gain lol if you need it

So on lower end amps, treble can be brittle and unenjoyable, higher end amps will really improve how treble can sound overall and it’s one of the more noticeable things from moving to a higher tier of amp aside from spatial recreation, timbre, and also just general control. A few people I know thought they used to be treble sensitive, but it just ended up being their amp presenting treble in an inaccurate way

1 Like

That was returned and hopefully the replacement will arrive tomorrow. And hopefully it’s actually an RME DAC lol. This is with the modi3.

So, I see the line here is THX and CTH are lower end :stuck_out_tongue:

I think thin is an apt description. Thin like an ice pick lol.

1 Like

Ah interesting lol, either way, I do share your experiences of not having to push it too hard on the volume, and good luck getting the right dac lol

Compared to the plat and rnhp, I would say so yes lol

:+1:

And that, my friend, is what has happened to a few of us (me at least). I would listen for an hour to the Sp200 and get tired of music. Now using RNHP and LP I stop listening when my back hurts ( bad positioning) and that is more than double or triple of time. Thx will give you a lot of numbers, but when it comes to enjoyment it doesn’t work. I won’t be keeping my Sp200, no reason to do so. Welcome to the bliss!

3 Likes

I have been loving going through this entire thread. I have recently purchased RNHP and am very excited for its arrival.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience pairing it with the new Topping D90 MQA at all? I also have this on order, but would love to hear the opinions of others on here that have tried it, or can :slight_smile:

For context, I currently use Sennheiser HD6XX and AKG K7XX for headphones, KRK Rokit 6 G3’s for speakers (Will be pairing with the D90 of course) and I also currently use Fearless S8F and S8Z IEM’s.

I’ve got a non mqa d90 on hand, lemme try it out

Great! Thank you :slight_smile:

Interested to see what your gonna do with it. Can you post a picture when your done?

1 Like

So with some quick listening, it sounds as expected. TBH I am not the biggest fan of the d90 but I do think it sounds solid enough with the rnhp, there wasn’t anything specifically strange with this combo

Thanks for letting me know :slight_smile:

Out of interest, what is it that you don’t like about it?