Rupert Neve RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier

I’ve also got the non-MQA, though I’ve been pairing mine with a Monoprice 887. FWIW, that’s my favorite reference stack. I really enjoy the “velvet sound” flavor of the D90, and it’s as clean and detailed as any DAC I’ve heard.

I haven’t paired my D90 with my RNHP, but the RNHP every bit as good as my 887. That stack should be an extremely clean reference for your 6xx and 7xx and leave room for growing into even better headphones.

3 Likes
2 Likes

With some headphones i find i’m turning the volume almost up to max. If i’m doing this with a headphone arent I sacrificing sound quality? I worry if im getting the full quality the headphone offers on this amp. But it seems to be a well designed amp. so maybe my fears are unfounded?

If it doesn’t audibly degrade or distort it shouldn’t be an issue imo. This being said with the headphones you have like the arya could benefit from a bit more juice

On the RNHP you’re fine.

I’ve been testing out the RNHP for a few hours now with my Focal Clear. So far I’m really liking it. I did some direct comparisons with my ifi Black Label (because it was convenient) and the biggest improvement I’ve noticed is with dynamics—particularly with the bass where it has better/greater impact. Other than that I’d say it sounds overall better for reasons I can’t quite pinpoint at the moment.

I also see why so many of you modded the LED buttons lol. I’m often using mine in a dark room, so I will need to come up with something. It’s annoying how it doesn’t remember your previous input setting after you turn it off.

5 Likes

yes dynamics on the Clear scale really well with higher tier amps, also what you might be hearing is an increase in clarity in tone and technicalities which is something that I noticed when I moved up from using the Clear with a THX to a RNHP.

I recommend just leaving the amp on 24/7, it’s pro gear that’s meant to be left on so you really don’t need to turn it off every night. I’ve noticed the amp sounds better after it has warmed up for a hour or two so there’s that as well.

2 Likes

You can leave it on, I keep one of mine on 24/7 and I’ve had that one for almost a year now with no issues.

The RNHP is a pretty punchy, Dynamic little amp that’s also quite detailed. It’s also pretty source transparent (similar to the Clears).

Interestingly, my favorite pairing for the Clear have been the Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt.

Enjoy!

1 Like

I may not have the clear but there is something wonderful about about the DFC amp section that just sounds good with quite a few headphones. It’s just got a nice tone to it, that’s the reason why I can’t sell mine (even if I’m not the greatest fan of the DAC).

1 Like

Yeah you can tell it’s meant to left on based on the lack of pop prevention lol. I measured stand by power consumption and it’s only 2 watts. I’m surprised that bright LED doesn’t consume more on it’s own. The JDS Labs Atom power brick consumes 2.5 watts when it’s not even connected lol.

1 Like

Been hearing about a lot of amps coming out. Schiit amps with the MAgno 3+, The Asgard. The Geshelli amps. The new topping amps. Do any of these amps compare to the RNHP? Whats the closest amp to the RNHP? The RNHP is a 500$ amp

Of those listed, I think the Asgard comes the closest, from what I’ve read, for natural presentation and spacial recreation. It has more power than the RNHP, and is probably slightly warmer in tonality, but I only have the RNHP and haven’t heard the Asgard to confirm.

3 Likes

I have both on my desk, and I’d say Asgard sounds cleaner, but with less body than RNHP.

3 Likes

Could you enlarge on that description? Or have you already written a comparison somewhere?
I am not in the market for an amp, but these two amps seem to be universally loved and so I am very curious about them.

1 Like

I second this :arrow_up:

Honestly the difference is so minimal to me that I’m considering selling my RNHP. I also didn’t hear any difference between Bifrost 2 and the Asgard multibit card, so YMMV

3 Likes

You sound like me. :smile:
My Liquid Platinum and Violectric V220, when volume matched, sound Very similar to me.
LP is great balanced, with inefficient headphones.
V220 is great SE, with efficient headphones.

That is why I shy away from the BF2. That little bugger would be almost $1,200.00, landed in Canada. What if I only hear a slight improvement from SU-8? That same money could get me brand new LCD-2 Classics or CFA Cascades, which I am guessing would overwhelm me with pleasure. :laughing:

I guess not having golden ears is cheaper in the long run.

2 Likes

Yep, headphones make the biggest difference to me.

2 Likes

Headphones will always make the biggest difference, amps and DACs make up the last 30% (rough estimate), imo.

1 Like

Gear synergy makes or breaks the sound for me. It’s either a home run or a miss.

1 Like