Rupert Neve RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier

They’re the biggest difference to pretty much everyone.
Playing with Amps and DAC’s assuming you have something not terrible, isn’t really worth the effort until your happy with the headphones, or your at a tier if headphones that exposes the shortcomings of the DAC/Amp.

1 Like

With my headphones (Ananda, LCD2 Closed, 6XX, Dekoni Blue), I don’t think I’ll notice anything until I spend way more than I’m comfortable with. I’ll save those experiences for CanJam I think. At this point for me, if it’s good enough for audio production, it’s good enough for me. Asgard 3 with mb card is good enough for me :+1:

6 Likes

Yep. I’m running hexv2, clears, elegias, eikons, and 7506s. All I have left to play with that won’t cost me my left nut is the amp / dac. However, I have some very source sensitive headphones, so it makes a biggggg difference for me when playing with them.

Like my mlp pales in comparison to the gilmore to me. Mlp is slightly not as in my ballpark as the erish. I’d have rather kept my lite dac-ah after I burned it in, but I need the xlr outputs from the enog. But the difference the amp/dac make for me is enough to go from really liking some tracks to realllllly wanting to tear my cans off.

1 Like

The 6xx is worth listening to on a mid priced tube amp, it’s a totally different (better IMO) headphone.
Something like the Haggerman Tuba, EC ZDT Jr, SW51+, Bottle Head Crack etc.
I own the Blues and they are among my least favorite headphones with many of the other T?0 RP Fostex.
The HifiMan and Audeze I can’t comment on, bbut likely not a match for anything with a tube.

2 Likes

Yes at least the Eikons and the Clears are good enough to expose limitations in the source chains.
If someone would have told me a couple of years ago how much I would spend on my primary listening chain, I’d have told them they were mad.
I’m still waiting on one “final” Amp (DNA Stratus), and I’m tempted by a higher end Planar to see if I can live with them, but I don’t have a lot of desire to experiment with what I have.

3 Likes

I actually find the RNHP much cleaner than the Asgard 3. The Asgard 3 I find to sound a tad on the warm side. I think the RNHP can sound a bit more intimate/narrow at times compared to the Asgard 3…but I really like both amps a lot. That being said, the biggest difference I’ve noticed in my solid state amps was when I purchased my Lake People G111 as I prefer it the most over the RNHP or Asgard 3.

3 Likes

Famous last words

Also never heard of it. Looking into it now.

What higher end planar?

Heck yes. The hexv2s react pretty well too.

Yep. I still have yet to broach the $1k mark on a single box, but I know what my next amp is already (gs-x mini ftw).

1 Like

You think this is accurate?

Also any comparison between gilmore mk2 and rnhp? Or mlp vs rnhp?

1 Like

I remember never spending $500 on a single amp and then getting the GS X mini. The RNHP still does the holographic stuff so much better with the right headphones. Makes me sad that $2k on an amp and it still can’t compete with some things.

1 Like

It was quoted for a reason, I’ll almost certainly buy a Glenn OTL, and if I buy a higher tier planar, I’d pick up something like a Pass HPA-1, or possible a MicroZOTL.

http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA-Stratus-2A3-headphone-amplifier.html
$3K, 6 month waiting list and half upfront

I’d probably pick up a Diana V2 or Phi

3 Likes

Mmm. If it’s any better than the gilmore I’ll be happy.

holographic stuff?

That’s after the gsx mini for me :stuck_out_tongue:. You have good taste sir

Ooh ok. Those’d be interesting.

Ooooh yea. Have seen. You already pay the first half? How long till it gets here?

I think that’s accurate, as I’m the one that wrote it, lol.

1 Like

ahhhh. didn’t even check the op’s name >.>

derp

My excuse is I’m jamming too hard to the woods brothers with the eikons that I am not focusing hard enough :stuck_out_tongue:. ( The Muse is a great album)

3 Likes

I didn’t know what holographic sounds meant until I noticed it was missing on the GS X mini. Accoustic guitar for example, it sounds great on the GS X mini like someone is playing in front of you. however when you use the RNHP, it goes from feeling like your ear is put inside the guitar a bit is absolutely wonderful.

2 Likes

ooooh. that is the absolute opposite feeling I want to have. If that’s how the rnhp stages I’ll skip it 0_0. My headphones already lack stage, I don’t really want to feel like I’m in a 5 square foot room all the time :stuck_out_tongue:

Gilmore MK II is the option I would skip replace if your goal is the mini. And the holographic component has nothing to do with staging. You can hear things reverberate behind you. It’s wonderful.

3 Likes

I understand “holographic” in an audio sense to mean pretty much the same thing as in the visual since. A hologram makes an image appear somewhere that is disconnected from an apparent source. To say sound is holographic means to say that it sounds like the sound is emanating from a place where there is no visible speaker driver causing the sound. Spatial sound reproduction becomes holographic when it puts all the sounds in their unique and natural positions.

4 Likes

I already have one. I also have an mlp and an erish on the desk lol.

I fucking love the gilmore. 75/25 on the mlp.

Based on the comparisons between the gilmore and rnhp I’d go with the gilmore. Just wondering if the rnhp would be more my tastes than the mlp.

1 Like

So what dago described is poorly holographic for the rnhp. Putting your head in the guitar hole isn’t exactly doing holographic imaging well? Maybe I’m wrong?

In comparison to an amp >3x it’s price (gsx mini). So not ragging on the rnhp, just doing a ridiculous comparison :stuck_out_tongue: