🔷 Schiit Asgard 3

You know what I’ve yet to read? A compelling argument for getting the multibit rather than the normal DAC card.

Maybe this will help

1 Like

Very nice write-up and concise!

As I get older I enjoy “bite-size” education. :+1:

1 Like

Although I haven’t bought both DAC cards to compare, I can give you my anecdotal observations coming from an M100 delta sigma to a BF2 Multibit if it helps you.

Sure. And aren’t most dacs Delta sigma?

Not necessarily. I think you’ll commonly find both. Also, I think the actually chip or R-2R isn’t the important part, but the implementation of it.

In short, when I dipped my toes in multibit, I felt a large improvement in sound stage, dynamics, bass slam, and timbre. The instruments sound a lot closer to its sound and voices sound more like voices.

I made a longer write up here, in case you were more curious and have some time to kill.

1 Like

I have both the modi 3 and the multibit dac card and the most noticeable difference I heard is that the modi 3 sounds a bit brighter.

1 Like

Modi 3 definitely sounds brighter (and not as clean) than my Topping e30

It is regrettable that there’s no way for me to try both out and A/B the sigma delta and the multi-bit chip. That alone would settle the argument. Of course the same can be said for pretty much all audiophile gear. Basically, if it’s not sold at the local Best Buy, I’m purchasing stuff entirely on the bases of fora such as this. To be frank, I don’t like that at all.

1 Like

Yeah I also have no where to test stuff, so I look thoroughly for reviews and forums… I feel you on that

Immediate A/B tests are usually not the best to test audio in my opinion. It takes some time to acclimate to it. I think too quick of a change will always have some bias in it.

What I like to do personally is what Steve Guttenberg recommends – put the new product and live with it as the new norm for 2-3 days. Then, revert back to the original. If you feel something is missing or less satisfied, then the change was a positive one.

It’s not the best return policy, but Schiit does a 15-day return, but you won’t get all of your money back. I want to say you’ll have to pay for shipping + restocking.

2 Likes

Quick swapping A/B is good after someone spend some days with A and some days with B. Then, after noticing something is different, A/B can help to pin point the difference. But, i always recommend to use the gear exclusively a few days.

3 Likes

I’m thinking of upgrading from my Schiit Magni 2 to something bigger. Problem is, in germany many things are hard to get. I see the Asgard recommend all over the place.
Is it still worth it for 260€+ shipping? Or would something else be better than in the range to 300€.
I mean, the schiit Europe store says, maybe they get restocked in 2-4 weeks :joy:.

What headphones do you have?

Sennheiser HD6XX
Audeze LCD2-C
Audioquest Nighthawks
Koss KPH30i
These are the main headphones, but the future will for sure bring more to the table.

1 Like

Seems like you like warmth… I think the Asgard 3 would be a really nice addition to your setup.

1 Like

Yeah I definetly like warmth. I could get an smsl sp200 for the same price, but I don’t think it would bring that to the table.
Thanks mate!

2 Likes

Anyone bought A3 from Schiit’s site recently? I ordered last week and experiencing a “short delay”… :face_with_thermometer:

Schiit seems to be running behind lately. Something about supply chains I think. I ordered at A3 two weeks ago and i got in like 4 days

The Asgard 3 is currently on backorder.