🔷 Schiit Asgard 3

Topping e30 maxed out. For comfortable listening it is 1 o’clock, maxed out it is really loud, but still undistorted.

And one more question: is there any burn in time? My setup is around 10 hours work time

The source going into your dac is what I mean.

Be careful for your ears and equipment…

1 Like

As @Bmn1251 points out, it’s fine for the equipment. Not fine for your ears.

1 Like

@volikovvv Check your initial e30 setup again to make sure it is set to dac mode and not preamp. The volume control is only for use as preamp. When set to dac the output is a fixed “0” and is a constant 2V.

Also check to make sure your windows volume is maxed as well as volume from the program itself being maxed (like youtube, streaming services, music players). But you are most likely fine if normal listening volume is at 1-2 oclock on high gain

1 Like

Something must not be right. The 250 ohm doesnt need to be cranked up so high.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, i checked all settings, all is maxed it. I found that music from foobar asio needs 1-2 o’clock any other, YouTube for example ,closer to 2-3 o’clock. But it’s absolutely listenable at 11-12 o’clock, but sound of headphones is much better for post 1’oclock settings. Actually this is my first amp which handle beyerdynamic properly, previous was the combo audiogd r2r-11 in 2018. Sad to say

1 Like

It may sound silly, but when I first got my Asgard I questioned if it was faulty due to similar reasoning as OP. In fact I made a post about it here to ask other owners. I think it’s due to the fact that I was inexperienced with headphone amps and had never heard an amp that’s so clear sounding, thus I couldn’t perceive just how loud I was listening. After people pointed out this may be the case, I’ve never had to use high gain except when the source is super soft.

@volikovvv do you think this is what’s happening to you? I even have similar headphones (DT880 250 ohm black).

Use Wasapi if u can…

If you can adjust other volumes (source, media player, etc) so it allows you to use your Asgard 3 on high gain you may notice you’ll get greater performance from it :+1:

It’s been suggested to me and I tend to agree it sounds better on high gain

I max out everything in my chain that comes before my DAC (E30). I mean, I can use high gain for some of my headphones like my DT880 (in fact I used to all the time) but I get a little less wiggle room with my volume.

I don’t know if I perceive big differences between high and low gain, but the reason I avoid high gain now is that I read it is noisier than low gain. Again, I don’t think I can tell the difference though.

It’s pretty nice with the 880 :+1: enjoy!

I don’t think any of my headphones (TYGR, SHP9500, HD579) sound bad on the Asgard, and I love it for that. I mean, I don’t have a ton of experience with amps but I feel the Asgard is pretty clear and neutral. Makes me wonder how amps that are actually known for pure neutrality will compare (like THX amps or the L30).

I would agree. Very nice sounding amp. Hits above it’s price point imo.

Well I can’t speak to the amps you’ve listed but many on here prefer the Asgard 3 to quite a few other amps thx included. The L30 is supposed to be very nice for the price from what read/heard about it.

I think you did very well choosing the A3 :+1:

1 Like

The A3 does sound good with pretty much everything, at least everything I’ve thrown at it. It even sounds really good with $1K+ headphones; scales up pretty well. I had an SP200 which I sold to bring in the Asgard and I also still have a JDS Labs Atom amp around. The A3 has a much more organic, natural sound to it than the THX amp or the Atom, IMO. It’s timbre is more realistic. The A3 does a better job recreating space. Things like imaging, separation, and soundstaging on the A3 are way ahead of the SP200. I know amps like the THX and Atom measure well, but they also have a really harsh, brittle quality to the treble to my ear (THX more than Atom, surprisingly). IME if you want a really solid headphone amp to explore the world of <$1K headphones, you really can’t do much better than the A3 for the price.

7 Likes

@WaveTheory I have the e30 < Atom < Sundaras. Like it a lot, but the two minor complaints I have had are the ones you just mentioned. Timbre (which is actually pretty good) and the “harsh, brittle quality.” I’ve been considering the A3 for quite some time, but your comment may be the nail in the cof…wallet! :smile:

3 Likes

Nice! I’ve not heard A3 + Sundara but I’m betting the A3 will add a touch of warmth and control the top end a little better. Enjoy!

1 Like

Yes, Mon has suggested the A3 to me as well, so…late birthday to me!

1 Like

#walletshatem0n

@M0N shares most of the blame why I bought the A3, too. He was right, though!

Hee hee, love that hashtag! And he usually is!