šŸ”· Schiit Asgard 3

A3 + Sundara is indeed veeery nice :ok_hand:

Yes, looks like you are right! But im still want more emotional sound, than my e30 can deliver, looking for upgrade)

@donjklassen Thanks for the support. Just ordered it!!!

4 Likes

Oh awesome! :beers:

Look forward to your thoughts on it

1 Like

@donjklassen Thanks for the cheers. I am excitedā€¦and will definitely post my experience with that combo.

1 Like

If M0N hasnā€™t been a tiny part of a purchase you clearly arenā€™t using this forum properly.

13 Likes

For an entire month I read bits and pieces of the A3 thread and yes, your guessed is right, I read the entire thing. And I appreciate everyone in here who recommended the A3, thank you! The 789 came close I would love to hear how it sounds, though.

Also, M0N was part of the deciding factor as well lol

Nowā€¦ Iā€™m saving up for some Focal Clears, maybe a Christmas present

6 Likes

Anyone here using the Asgard as a preamp for their power amp? Recently I got a vintage Denon POA-800 and used my A3 as a preamp for a while. Nothing to complain regarding preamp sound quality, but I had so little volume knob play because the preamp output voltage is too high, even on low gain (or at least I assume this to be the case). Itā€™s a desk setup, and 9-10 oā€™clock made things start to get too loud. For reference, the amp has an input sensitivity of 1VRMS, which I read isnā€™t all that sensitive for a power amp.

The amp does have amplifier input gain knobs, so I lowered those down a ton and I finally got some volume knob play, but then I felt as though the sound became less dynamic. For now Iā€™ve switched to the following setup so I can use my Topping E30 as a preamp:

E30 ā€”> POA-800 ā€”> Asgard 3 (by means of a RCA Y-splitter at the power amp)

Immediately I notice the sound seems dynamic and small volume adjustments donā€™t lead to things getting too loud (E30 has max voltage of 2 VRMS at max volume).

Would love to hear any thoughts or experiences others may have had.

Edit adding more info about the power amp: The power amp does 50W x 2 into 8 ohms and 90W x 2 into 4 ohms, so I guess it isnā€™t a weak amp. More specs on the first post of this thread I started: Anyone know about the Denon POA-800 power amp?

2 Likes

As some of you already know, I have been contemplating the Asgard 3 as an upgrade for my e30 < Atom <Sundaras. Well it arrived todayā€¦Wow! Everything is more present and enjoyable, just a touch smoother without losing the bass punch and treble brilliance. Most noticeable is the timbre (perfect), soundstageā€¦
wider and deeper, imaging even better than before. Separation and clarity of orchestral instruments is better, and vocal presence is better as well. Club recordings sound like I am IN the club. The Atom is imo a very good ampā€¦The
Asgard 3 is at another level!!

14 Likes

Really, really interesting considering I want to jump from the Atom to the Asgard 3 too.

3 Likes

@LeDechaine I was on the fence about that decision for months! Everything I have listened to is richer and fuller sounding. My friend was over and his comments ranged from raised eyebrows to ā€œWow.ā€ He said the music has ā€œmore weightā€ to it. Even youtube is better, lol. Significantly, there is no loss of detail whatsoever. Headphones matter, of course, but the Sundaras just came to life; the extra power brings them to their full ? potential.
ANDā€¦imo it will drive anything, as othersā€™ comments have reflected. Iā€™m a happy camper! Keep us informed. Regards, Tim

4 Likes

How does the A3 compare to the new Modius? I know the modius is Balanced but purely sound wise. Anyone done an A B comparison?

Do you mean magnius? Iā€™ve given some thoughts in the magnius thread, personally wasnā€™t a fan of it at all, but if you are someone who really values measurements it might be worth a look

Yes Magnius sorry, ok thanx MON.

Feeling pretty happy with myself so far. Just over 5 hours in, but I am enjoying the sound of the Asgard 3 fed with the Modius or ZenDac (via switch box) through to a Elegia, Phoenix and a HE400S so far. It is a bit different than the Atom Stack. Iā€™m no expert, but it sounds smoother - if thatā€™s a thing.

12 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™ve been using it as a pre-amp for my Emotiva Bas-X that power my speakers and I like it quite a lot as both a pre-amp and a regular AMP. Even if/when I upgrade, Iā€™ll probably keep this thing

4 Likes

I use the Bifrost2 to feed my Asgard3 and it is so sweetā€¦ I run several amps as well as electrostats with a switch so I get full ā€œauthoā€ and A3 is my daily driver so to speak. Just a really solid amp for sure.

6 Likes

Good to hear! Iā€™m guessing that you donā€™t have easy access to the Bas-X volume knob and so need to use Asgard as a pre? Sounds like a nice setup, wish Emotiva stuff wasnā€™t overpriced here in the UK.

I ordered an L30 to see if it will be more suitable as a preamp and give me more volume play. Based on its output sensitivity, Iā€™m guessing it will work at either medium or low gain. If it works well, Iā€™ll end up with a spare headphone amp which is supposed to be state of the art for the price. Hopefully it will work out! Otherwise I may return it and keep looking.

1 Like

For those curious about how the L30 sounds is compared to the Asgard, I have some brief impressions after some testing. This is an excerpt of my post on the L30 thread.

I didnā€™t test it for long but my Asgard 3 was noticeably better sounding to my ears. It had a smoother sound and more pleasing tonality. Comparatively, the L30 sounded relatively harsh in the way it reproduced electric guitars and drum high-hats. I also perceived better separation on the Asgard. Otherwise, the L30 seemed good. The sound is probably not for me though (at least compared to the Asgardā€™s sound).

1 Like

Iā€™ve had my Asgard 3 about a week now. I continue to be very pleased and impressed.

7 Likes