šŸ”· Schiit Asgard 3

Hello. From your point of view, what will be upgrade from Asgard 3, but without tubes:)

If you want a similar sound but better quality, Iā€™ve heard the RNHP is very good.

1 Like

What price range? At ~500USD there is the Lake People G111, Rupert Neve RNHP, and the RebelAmp.

1 Like

Jotenheim!

Alex

1 Like

Thank you for the answers!

Without price range:) Just want to gather some money for top setup:)

1 Like

Compare this $399 amp!

Balanced Headphone Output:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 7500mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 5000mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 3000mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 900mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 500mW RMS per channel

Schiit Jotenheim!

:>)

Itā€™s not necessarily a good thing, a lot of people donā€™t need that much power. My head would implode hitting the high gain switch, lol.

1 Like

Buts its there if you ever do need it!

You cant add power afterwardsā€¦like a boy scoutā€¦be prepared!!!

lol
Alex

Thereā€™s only like 3-4 headphones that I can think of that would actually take advantage of that much power, and they would be grossly inappropriate to put on a jot anyways

You canā€™t add quality afterwards either

5 Likes

STILL loving my Asgard! My next purchase may have to be new pads for the Sundaras! :blush:

2 Likes

We can argue the subjective ā€œqualityā€ thing for yearsā€¦and if those 3-4 heaphones are of concern to you. wellā€¦you have choices.

Whether they are good or bad, less expensive or more expensive thats left to the ā€œearā€ of the beholder!

:>)

Alex

Indeed, thatā€™s what this hobby is about lol, if subjectivity was not involved, this would be a very very very different hobby (most likely moreso along the lines of pc hardware or whatnot perhaps)

Correct, so that extra power of the jot is really a non benefit and will not really be utilized by the mass majority of people

I completely agree with this. I always tell people to listen for themselves.
From my personal experience, these are the few lessons Iā€™ve learned:

1. My personal enjoyment has been inversely proportional to measurements. My most enjoyed amps were ā€œterribleā€ in measurements.
  2. Power isnā€™t everything. Iā€™ve enjoyed amps that were way less in power that were implemented better.
  3. Iā€™ve experienced both amps and DACs that were well implemented in SE outperform a balanced. Itā€™s all about how well the engineer implemented each one.
3 Likes

I think the argument for balanced becomes much more compelling when you move up the price bracket, but in the more midrange and below amp section, it generally just tends to add more cost and complexity for no real benefit (besides the common benefits of balanced interconnects but if those actually make a sound quality difference is debatable, and still adds mostly unneeded cost to the consumer)

5 Likes

So recently Iā€™ve found it useful to use the A3ā€™s input select switch as a mute switch (push it up to select internal DAC, which I donā€™t have). I turn it on before switching everything off and going to bed to prevent myself from blowing out my speakers the next day (in case I forget to turn down the volume knob after a headphone listening session the night before).

Just thought Iā€™d share - not sure how many others use the input switch similarly.

3 Likes

I have a question about the A3 with included DAC module. From the forums Iā€™ve read, people are pretty negative about the integrated DAC. I understand that it doesnā€™t measure as good as some of the better entry-level DACs, but what Iā€™m unsure about is the talk concerning power. Does using the integrated DAC in the A3 limit performance? Assuming you had a DAC that measured the same as the A3 module, would there be any difference between using it separately with the A3 and using the AIO version? Is it only a power/volume difference? If I donā€™t have any hard-to-drive headphones, would there be any difference?

yes, it looses headroom and power(edit: nothing incredibly significant just noticeable)ā€¦ I can personally confirm that after I had this same question with M0N before when I had gotten the multibit version of the asgard 3 in and noticed my own personal asgard without that dac could push a little more. As for difference? yeah, but it depends on the dac honestly. Granted difference in dacs is relatively small unless you get way up in the price points.

generally yeah outside of small sound characteristics based on dac such as I found the toppings to add a bit more warmth and the like.

1 Like

So I gave you my opinion on what I experience with mine using the multibit dac, being that it was just turning up the volume a bit more than say using an external dac.

As far as loosing headroom, it wasnā€™t a lot. It might the difference say going from 9ā€™oclock to say 10ā€™oclock to achieve the say volume of decent sound.

In terms with sound, that would be more of a characteristic of what the dac is producing.

1 Like

Thanks, @Falenkor and @Rick_Jones. I had an E30 for a while, but have been using my MOBO for the past month while I waited to make a final decision on what I wanted to keep. Sounds like itā€™ll still be an upgrade (re: DAC) despite its limitations in the A3.