šŸ”· Schiit Asgard 3

Yes he does provide helpful measurements - thatā€™s why I still visit the site.

He gets a lot of hate on various forums. If he simply called his site ā€œAudio Equipment Measurementsā€ as I suggested above, I canā€™t see all the anger not disappearing overnight.

I think I have said multiple times on this forum that I donā€™t really care about measurements that much and if it sound good it is good, and if something measures the same but sounds different it is different. Measurements rarely dictate my purchases anyway, but they matter to some people

2 Likes

I think measurements are very interesting on two fronts:

1. Cleaner should sound better and is probably evidence of better parts and construction.
  2. Calling out manufacturer BS. Especially in regards to power output.

I would not buy an amp just based on specs, but I find it interesting and informative.

Having said that, I own a Vali 2 and an LCX, so I am not a true follower.:grinning:

Shane D

1 Like

Thatā€™s true, as I would rather not buy a product that overinflated itā€™s specs a ton just because lol. I would say specs for stuff like amps and dacs can be more helpful then a headphone though

1 Like

tube amps are a prefect example that #'s arenā€™t everything in the audio world. they can help and should definitely be a factor that helps you decide what you buy, but #'s arenā€™t the end all / be all some make them out to be.

why? sound is subjectiveā€¦what is oneā€™s manā€™s disappointment is another manā€™s splendor. :slight_smile:

You speak the truth!
I have bought some VERY disappointing gear that came Highly recommended. It boils down to we all hear differently.

Shane D

2 Likes

Lol yeah, trying it for yourself is the best way to go about things

1 Like

Tubes above all else are system dependent, a well sorted analogue tube driven speaker system is a thing of wonder and joyā€¦You really canā€™t just slot a tube amp into an existing set up expecting miracles unless you really know your audio shiz.

I dont go over to ASR very often, like many have said they have a penchant for measurments period and have created some bad feelings etcā€¦and tubes ha! They seem to have no place over there.

Measurments are a good baseline, but in the end its the SOUND.

You can only tell this with your ears and brain with your stuff etcā€¦

I have 11 head amps, 7 headphones at present, many gone ā€¦and they all work well some abit better than others. One of the best cost LESS than $100, others cost north of a $1300.

The Asgard 3 is an excellent amp WITH innovative design that nobody else hasā€¦like continuity! But many folks really havent a clue what a good design is electrical at all, and just drool over specifications as the end all be allā€¦

Lost33

2 Likes

It does seem to be a very good amp at a Very good price.

I had other things lined up ahead of it, but that is good bang for the buck!

1 Like

With 3.5W at 32Ī© for $199, there is any competition or alternative for this amp in the same price range?

If you only care about power output, something like the emotiva basx a100 is more powerful, but tbh if you need power the asgard 3 is hard to beat at this price

But the Emotiva needs internal jumpers for direct drive mode, what makes it a little inconvenient. I donā€™t even need this amount of power, but I was thinking of the Asgard as an endgame amp, for any headphone that could cross my way (and I will probably never have a crazy headphone that will need 12W of power). Problem is I do not like the silver color and white led very much.

I think they offer the asgard 3 in black but I donā€™t know if itā€™s in stock. I think its a great single ended amp for the price, and I donā€™t think you could go wrong with it. If you really donā€™t like the look, perhaps the smsl sp200 for 100 bucks more might be up your alley (if you werenā€™t planning to get a dac inside the asgard)

They donā€™t have the black one in stock, right now. And I was thinking in buy a new amp at the moment. Do not want to wait to much.

The SP200 is a really nice competitor. Donā€™t have the option for add a inside DAC, but in the other hand is also a balanced amplifier.

I will research a little more about it.

Thanks.

one would hope so, being itā€™s $300 vs the Asgard 3ā€™s $200.

any word on whether the A3 suffers Schiit compression?

I donā€™t think thats a concern anymore, and if it still was an issue I donā€™t think I would recommend it tbh as it bothered me, but the asgard3 is very clean and the compression I think is so minimal itā€™s a nonissue

1 Like

I dont see how you can fit a DAC board inside the asgard lol.

the 888 delivers more power into 16 ohm although the asgard delivers more power into all other ohms. the 888 is not true balanced, so the balanced portion of it doesnt deliver more power does it?

ive been looking at these emotiva amps and they are really cool for cheap prices. The A-300 in particular gives 150 watts into 8 Ohms. 300 watts into 4 Ohms! Can you do the jumper thing with this amp too?

The a300 and a150 are power amps and have no volume control and no headphone jacks, so no jumpers unfortunately. But they are great amps for sure