šŸ”· Schiit Asgard 3

Dude, when I had that A3, I thought they made a mistake! It looks clean.

I know right!? Super clean unit, thanks again!

1 Like

Oh no worries, glad you are enjoying it!

1 Like

Good idea!! Didnā€™t even think of that.

Will still be over $200 most likely, but will also be under warranty so a good deal imo

3 Likes

I wonder if this the chip shortage, or if it reflects a component change, or both? Still worth the price IMHO. Yes, I got one before :money_mouth_face: the price hike

Iā€™ll actually be ordering them to the UK so Iā€™m waiting to see how the price increase reflects over here. B-stock may be the way forward.

1 Like

I wish you luck and good fortune :grinning:

Thanking you!! Looking forward to eventually getting one!

Interesting, i know nothing about how these electronic components work but i am guessing maybe the volume curve is not the same when comparing different amps, but when maxed out the more powerful one will still sound louder.

No idea, all i know is that i really like the Asgard so far, pairs very well with the LCD-X.

1 Like

the volume pot in these amps have a logrithmic taperā€¦so you have to physically turn the knob up moreā€¦
You can go to the ALPS or selling vendors like Mouser or Digikey and see the taper curves of pots.

2 Likes

It may be placebo, but i get the impression that when i lower the volume in my PC and turn up the volume in the Asgard to about 80% my LCD-X sound a bit better with more bass slam.

Is there any logic in this at all? From all i know i should have my PC volume set to max to minimize the noise floor, but how do planar drivers work when it comes to stuff such as current / voltage / wattage / etc?

I am trying to figure out if i should run the Asgard at 50% volume as i read somewhere, or if i should run it at a higher volume while reducing the PC volume to achieve the same dBsā€¦

Using an external dac configure to run in exclusive mode.

PC level set to 100%. Not for noise floor so no bits get truncated.

Adjust gain on amp to the lowest to get a moderate non ear damaging level at a vol position of 10 am to 12 noon pmā€¦

Make sure your player is set to bit perfect mode, via wasapi (push) or (event).

Done,

Note: Asgard uses a log pot, so the position will be higher to get the same vol compared to a non log pot amp.

1 Like

Something I noticed with my Asgard was when I was outputting full volume from my DAC, a SMSL Sanskrit 10th MkII, it seemed to ā€œclipā€ or distort on intense bass. Wasnā€™t able to determine if it was the amp clipping, or the amp pushing enough power to distort the actual drivers in my headphones at regular listening volume. I fixed it by lowering the output from my DAC by a few dB and I havenā€™t had an issue since.

1 Like

Am I the first to notice this? $50 price bump on the A3?

3 Likes

I wonder if their other offerings have also risen in price. Iā€™m happy with my Asgard 3, but I thought I might upgrade to one of their other offerings. I guess it is what it is. What doesnā€™t go up in price these days, assuming you can even find ā€œitā€.

1 Like

Several people have brought up Asgard 3ā€™s price increase, but I donā€™t think this has been shared so Iā€™ll leave a link here. Itā€™s a forum post by Jason Stoddard of Schiit announcing the price increase, and why. He also goes on to explain that he doesnā€™t foresee more price increases for other products.

Interestingly, someone else also pointed out to me that Jason had warned back in 2019 that the 200 USD price may be subject to increase:

And, regarding the priceā€¦yes, I know, I mentioned this in an aside, and in development, and probably a couple other places, but Asgard 3 is pretty thin. I donā€™t know that weā€™ll be able to hold the $199 price. It may soon be $229 or even higher. This is literally the first product Iā€™ve issued a price warning on. Iā€™ll do everything I can to keep it at $199, but weā€™ll see how it goes.

I always wanted Asgard to be $199ā€¦literally from the first day we started. Weā€™ve never been able to do it. Now, weā€™re going to do it, as long as we can.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve found the same on my Formula S.

This, BTW, goes against ā€œconventional wisdomā€ of lowest gain as the best choice (because THD+N at 1Khz increases slightly with gain).

And those two amps are very definitely on opposite ends of the price spectrum, too.

1 Like