šŸ”· Schiit Asgard 3

Is it true that the Asgard 3 works exclusively as a Class A amp up until a certain volume, and then it switches to AB?

If yes, in which volume does that transition occur? And is it beneficial to stay under that threshold to use it as Class A?

Sorry for the noob questions, i donā€™t even understand the difference between Class A and ABā€¦

1 Like

In reality you shouldnā€™t worry or be concerned about thisā€¦its nothing that you will ever detect or hear with headphonesā€¦ 1/2 watt or 500 mw is more than enough power to play VERY VERY loudā€¦not a concern at allā€¦

To fully grasp this you need to understand what these classes are and what the positives and negatives areā€¦

Alex

2 Likes

But the difference between a and d on hard to drive headphones is massive. As in everyone can hear it. A to a/b isnā€™t much of a difference though.

1 Like

Seriouslyā€¦

Most all headphone amps are Class A and most AB.

And the poster wasnt concerned with class d ?

not even close to most headphone amps are class a, especially on the cheaper end, and I was just adding input agreeing with you that the difference between a and ab isnā€™t worth worrying about. wasnā€™t trying to correct you, just adding that different classes CAN make a massive difference.

1 Like

If I understand Schiitā€™s ā€œContinuityā€ circuitry correctly, itā€™s entire point is to smooth the transition from Class A to class A/B. FWIW, Iā€™ve never heard an audible difference in its sound signature regardless of where the potentiometer sits. So Iā€™ve either never crossed that threshold (doubtful, Iā€™ve pushed it pretty hard with some hard driving cans), or that circuitry does exactly what Schiit claims.

4 Likes

Never heard anything close to massive differences in over 30+ amps here, class A or AB or AB biased into Class A territoryā€¦

Class D is not in my vocabulary for amps at all.

No offense taken!!

I do agree there can be differences in amps for sure but for the most part if the load put on an amp is within its design capabilities are not massive IMO.

1 Like

Even without continuity I highly doubt that you would detect and real world discernable difference using headphones. Its a method of reducing the transition distortion as u indicate. Better specs. But a real world listening differenceā€¦not that much in realityā€¦

Note I am a Schiit fanboy and appreciate these solutions from a purists standpoint. But in reality you have to question what the real affect isā€¦if your straining for hours on end trying to see if you really can hear differencesā€¦well are they really that ā€œbigā€ or ā€œimportantā€ā€¦

This will always be a question many folks want a solid answer to, and there isnt one really. The only way is to buy and try and see for your self how good or bad to you are these circuit ā€œdesignsā€ā€¦

In the end the Asgard 3 is a decent SS amp, that just went up in price!! $249. Still a good price. A ton of them in the B-stock and close out section at Schiits website today.

And I do buy and try ! lol

2 Likes

@michty_me thanks to the heads up from @lost33 a bunch of b- stock and closeout are on their site right now. The prices are all out of whack on the site ($349 and $439), but I went ahead and sent them an email to let them know. Today may just be your day to snag one!

1 Like

Theyā€™re not out of whack. The A3 went up $50 across the board. Youā€™re looking at units with DACs installed. The retail A3 with multibit is now $449 brand new.

In Jason video yesterday he mentioned a price increase for the YGGY 2 and its follow on name of YGGY OG.

I have purchased several B-stock items in the past and all have worked great here.

Yes I am aware of the price increase, but I see my mistake now. Guess I never seen any one there with the multibit so I just looked out of whack to me. Thanks for correcting me.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™ve not seen that many separate lines with installed DACs on the deals page before.

1 Like

Thanks, I have been keeping a close watch on the website for a Asgard 3 without any DAC card and 230V. Iā€™ve yet to see any come up though but think Iā€™ll just order new tonight anyway.

3 Likes

Might as well.get exactly what you want and itā€™s not much more than the b- stock would be.

1 Like

Thats my thinking too. Looking forward to giving it a listen compared to current G6 DAC/AMP. Hopefully I can hear the difference!

2 Likes

Yeah, for $10 in my opinion you check and see if thereā€™s a B-stock, order a brand new unit if there isnā€™t.

1 Like

New ESS DAC module with Unison USB, clearing out the old modules.

1 Like

Good point. I go DAC-less on these anyhow.

1 Like

Asgard 3 ordered now. Iā€™ll just use my G6 as a DAC for now. That will allow me to use a mic in for gaming too.

3 Likes