That’s a hell of a good trio :+1:

4 Likes

Well, schiit…

???    

I may have succumbed to temptation.

11 Likes

Welcome to the deep end, friend :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have had my first “noob” experience with the Bifrost 2. I’m sharing A) so you can all have a little chuckle at my expense, and B) The off chance there is another new owner who has a the same experience and also did not RTFM, and more importantly - the FAQ…

I was like what’s going on? Why is there a relay clicking when I switch from for example, YouTube to Spotify or, even inside of Foobar when selecting a different album or just tracks with different sampling rates. I thought it was maybe because I have both Unison USB and Optical connected so that I can A/B between, nope still does it even with USB disconnected (I recalled reading that the USB only played when a source was detected so assumed maybe that the Bifrost was “hunting” inputs to see who was live or not) OK - now I’m weirded out a bit ( I wont go into how I totally broke the chain down to its most basic needed connections bypassing all switchers, rebooting the PC, power cycling all gear etc etc.)

Finally I was getting ready to post a question here but remembered Google can be a friend and damnit if Google girl did not land me on the Bifrost 2 Manual and FAQ where it is stating

"Hey, this thing clicks between songs/between
inputs/etc! Yes, it does.

Care to explain why, smartass?
Sure. That’s the muting relay engaging when
there’s no input. Many computer…"

The moral of the story and reason for this mini novel is… RTFM noob!

9 Likes

I always thought it was changing bit rates since it up samples. I didn’t know it had a muting relay.

1 Like

I have heard this mentioned many times but yet I have never heard it “click” at all… Maybe I did not pay attention to it or maybe mine does not do that… Some people state that there BF2 runs warm whereas mine is room temp and it has been on now for months… I guess when I get home tonight I will have to try and listen for the sound… If it does “click” then the next question is how loud does it click? maybe my ears just don’t pick it up…

It normally only clicks when the bit rate changes. If you aren’t using an application that changes bit rates, or your music player of choice upsamples everything to a certain bit rate, you may not get frequent clicking.

I say this because until I started using Foobar2000 and WASAPI, I almost never experienced clicking.

4 Likes

Good to know… Thanks

1 Like

Had a friend from the forum come over for a listening session and he says, “What is that click? Doesn’t it bother you?” I was like, “I don’t mind it. I kinda like it.”

30 minutes later he turns to me and says, “I’m getting used to that click. I like it.”

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

It does it when it changes bit rates, it’s muting the output to prevent aberrant noise making it out.
Mines connected to a Pi streamer, clicks twice when the streamer restarts and every time I swap from 44/16 to 96/24 or 192/24.
On windows it won’t click at all unless you manually change the bit rate in the device settings or use exclusive mode on you audio player and play content at different bit rates.

2 Likes

This happened to me with the Freya volume. At first I was like “wtf is this idiocy???”. Now I NEED to hear it click lol.

4 Likes

It is a very satisfying click lol

2 Likes

We are indeed Sound people, aren’t we!

3 Likes

Whoa man! The Bifrost 2 just gets better and better the longer I listen. I’ll admit at first I felt that it was a little bit on the plus side of neutral and not extending as far into the lower end as the Modius, but over time the highs have rolled off and become softer, and the bottom end is now reaching farther down and giving more punch all the way through over-all. I’ve left it powered on since I got it, so it has been warmed up and I don’t think that was why. I’m thinking there may’ve been (don’t shoot me) burn in. It’s like it needed a dose of electrons to flow for a while to break it loose. While I am making this comment I have it feeding signal to an Asgard 3 + Elegia and listening to some contemporary fusion/funk groove and it is glorious. The instrumants, vocals the thud of the kick drum and the solid snare with crispy closed high-hat beets, piano, horns all floating and dancing together in big air - OK don’t need to have a sloppy moment - Let’s just say I’m groovi’n and getting frosty!

11 Likes

Hi guys! Are there any rumors or any info about Bifrost 3? (out of curiosity as schiit made some updates this year)

BF2 just came out last year. I wouldn’t expect a new one for at least 5 more years.

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Jotunheim or A90 better pairing with Bifrost 2?