Schiit Bifrost 2

Schiit Audio Bifrost 2 Multibit Dac.

https://www.schiit.com/products/bifrost-1

It’s a pretty nice dac, very solid if you want something different

1 Like

I’m looking to purchase a new dac and previously was considering the following; RME-ADI2, Chord Qutest, and the Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA.

However, recently I’ve been reading a good deal of positive feedback regarding the newer Bifrost Multibit dac.

Ultimately I’d like to end up with the X-Sabre Pro in my main listening setup. The initial dac I buy will move to my computer setup replacing an older NAD dac.

I’m wondering if anyone has used the newer Bifrost 2 and what your impressions are.

Thanks in advance!

I considered it before I picked up a used Gungnir.
Completely different than the old Bifrost apparently.
Uses the 18 bit chips in the Gungnir/Yggdrasil rather than the 16 bit chips in the modi multibit and older Bifrost.

Torq over at headphones.com, who is one of the few people I see with reasonable DAC reviews, rates it very highly, refers to it as a mini Yggdrasil.

1 Like

How would you characterize “different”?

Just looking for clarity.

I can agree with that, the 2 was a pretty decent improvement, it does sound much closer to their higher end models that before

1 Like

Different from alot of the sigma delta implementations that you commonly see from this price point. I don’t know if it’s exactly what you are looking for as I don’t really think it’s the most “clear” dac at this price. It’s got more of the enjoyable schiit higher end dac tuning that focuses more on enjoyment than really good accuracy

1 Like

Yeah, I’m active there and that was the feedback I got.

I was just looking for more opinions. I appreciate everyone’s take.

That’s what I was thinking. But I don’t mind pleasant, as this would eventually replace my Burr Brown NAD, which is warm/smooth.

I haven’t heard the Bifrost 2, I like my Gungnir a lot, to the point I might pick up another one.
Given I could get the used Gungnir multibit for ~$200 more, I went with it.
The only downside to the Gungnir is, it’s the only remaining Schiit product that requires return to the factory for a firmware upgrade, which is a pain in the ass, but it’s not like that happens weekly.
The RME isn’t interesting to me, general consensus is people tend to either love it for the flexibility and options, or it’s just another albeit OK DAC with a lot of useless features.
I haven’t heard the Matrix, but I would like to given the general aura or reverence it gets in the Delta Sigma DAC world.

1 Like

I hope this helps a little bit, I have some experience with the Bifrost MB v1. People have written that V2 is an improvement, so it only gets better from here.

Compared to my entry-level SMSL DAC, the Bifrost offered me wider sound stage and more clarity. I can definitely point out different instruments and singers in the sound stage. The multi-bit implementation was very musical and enjoying. It may not be the most technical, but I found it very smooth and relaxing to listen to.

1 Like

That’s very helpful, thank you.

Yeah, they made a relatively big jump on the upgrade of the Bifrost. Like mentioned earlier, it’s a bit of a mini Yagg… which is a big compliment given the Yag’s reputation.

It also depends on your priorities as well. From what I remember reading, the Bifrost should be warmer than the Yggy, but the Yggy is significantly more detailed and analytical.

1 Like

Thats true. I think what it boils down to is something to hold me over until I can purchase the X-Sabre Pro.

The pleasant, and warm but resolving presentation of the Bifrost 2 is appealing for my computer setup.

I’ve tended to stay away from Schiit merely because of the name! Who forms a company to sell products and names it Schiit?!

They do, of course. But apparently they also know what they’re doing.

$100 off through March… I’m thinking about picking up the Bifrost 2. Black or silver? Had the silver jotunhiem and it was nice but I wonder how nice the black is in person…

The black is pretty nice from my experience, I personally like the look better than silver for schiit, but it’s entirely preference lol

4 Likes

Yeah just bought black haha.

2 Likes

Dang nice lol, hope you enjoy it, it’s a pretty sweet dac :+1:

3 Likes

Better be the schiit :woozy_face:

1 Like