Schiit Bifrost 2

It normally only clicks when the bit rate changes. If you aren’t using an application that changes bit rates, or your music player of choice upsamples everything to a certain bit rate, you may not get frequent clicking.

I say this because until I started using Foobar2000 and WASAPI, I almost never experienced clicking.

4 Likes

Good to know… Thanks

1 Like

Had a friend from the forum come over for a listening session and he says, “What is that click? Doesn’t it bother you?” I was like, “I don’t mind it. I kinda like it.”

30 minutes later he turns to me and says, “I’m getting used to that click. I like it.”

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

It does it when it changes bit rates, it’s muting the output to prevent aberrant noise making it out.
Mines connected to a Pi streamer, clicks twice when the streamer restarts and every time I swap from 44/16 to 96/24 or 192/24.
On windows it won’t click at all unless you manually change the bit rate in the device settings or use exclusive mode on you audio player and play content at different bit rates.

2 Likes

This happened to me with the Freya volume. At first I was like “wtf is this idiocy???”. Now I NEED to hear it click lol.

4 Likes

It is a very satisfying click lol

2 Likes

We are indeed Sound people, aren’t we!

3 Likes

Whoa man! The Bifrost 2 just gets better and better the longer I listen. I’ll admit at first I felt that it was a little bit on the plus side of neutral and not extending as far into the lower end as the Modius, but over time the highs have rolled off and become softer, and the bottom end is now reaching farther down and giving more punch all the way through over-all. I’ve left it powered on since I got it, so it has been warmed up and I don’t think that was why. I’m thinking there may’ve been (don’t shoot me) burn in. It’s like it needed a dose of electrons to flow for a while to break it loose. While I am making this comment I have it feeding signal to an Asgard 3 + Elegia and listening to some contemporary fusion/funk groove and it is glorious. The instrumants, vocals the thud of the kick drum and the solid snare with crispy closed high-hat beets, piano, horns all floating and dancing together in big air - OK don’t need to have a sloppy moment - Let’s just say I’m groovi’n and getting frosty!

11 Likes

Hi guys! Are there any rumors or any info about Bifrost 3? (out of curiosity as schiit made some updates this year)

BF2 just came out last year. I wouldn’t expect a new one for at least 5 more years.

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Jotunheim or A90 better pairing with Bifrost 2?

or jot 2 :wink:

What headphones are you planning to use?

Clears, DT880 600 OHM

I might suggest a rupert neve rnhp for those headphones instead imo, that has pretty great synergy with the clear and the 880, and pairs really well with the bifrost. If you had to have one of the two mentioned, the jot 2 looks more appealing from what I’ve seen (since I haven’t heard it yet and it’s supposedly in the vein of the asgard 3, didn’t like the first jot imo). To me the a90 was fairly unimpressive with the clear and 880, so personally I wouldn’t recommend that

3 Likes

I am actually thinking the same thing. Either Jot 2 or A90. If you don’t mind what would you recomond DT1990s and GL2000s?

Hmmmmm. Out of the two, I would def lean jot 2 imo, I think it ends up having better dynamics than the a90 (have had one for about a week now), it’s staging is a bit better, timbre is more organic, and it ends up having better control than the a90 when it came to the 1990 imo. I haven’t heard the GL2000 yet so I can’t comment really on that one, but the jot 2 did drive most planars I heard with it pretty well so it would most likely be a good match. The A90 did do a better job when powering planars than it does dynamic, but the jot 2 is something I preferred still.

Other options that are worth a look would def be the lake people g111 which I think is on a higher level than both the jot 2 and a90, it’s a more studio neutral sound but it’s still fairly organic and non fatiguing, pretty impressive. Works very nicely with the 1990 and still powers most planar I threw at it pretty well too. I would give a mention to the rnhp as that’s really nice with the 1990 but not really all that good for most planar I have tried. I would also give a nod to the liquid platinum for planar as that’s also above the a90 and jot 2 imo, but for the 1990 it’s not really a good match

1 Like

Thank for your advice! I think I will go with the Jot 2 then as I value the pre amp output. Ill do a little bit more research to make sure they won’t have issues powering the GL2000

2 Likes

The Jotunheim 2 is doing a wonderful job with the big planar HP’s that I have - Hifiman Edition X V2 and also Audeze LCD-2 pf. Both of these phones I am using with the balanced output. I am using high gain as a matter of preference for sound but this is a personal choice not a requirement.

I am only attesting to my personal experience and in no-way suggesting that you should forgo your own research.

My source chain for reference is Bifrost 2 > Jotunheim 2 > big planars