Schiit Bifrost 2

The only differences I see are “1uV”, “~1uV”, and “<1uV”.

Went for the iPower2, “~1uV”.

B2 is the best DAC for $ to performance. They’re are better DACs I’ve heard for sure, but for the dollars I think it’s impossible to beat. Next step up is Pontus Denafrips. YMMV.

There is more to it with SMPS than just noise on the output, but there is no point in plugging a $300 PSU into a <$60 device.

Where do you find out what the more is? To know what I really need here. The iPower2 I ordered is “~1uV”. I really hear no noise or hum or distortion with the included power cord + phone charger, but that doesn’t mean it’s perfect.

It’s a $60 device, the iPower is fine.
Power supplies aren’t going to make $60 device into a $500 device, so don’t overspend on one.
Clean power can improve things, but you need to spend commensurately.

1 Like

You’re fine with what you got. The power supplies get better, I actually did buy one of the $300 ifi units a while back but it would be crazy like @Polygonhell says to use that for a $50 device. It’s very much a diminishing return.

I guarantee you that if you stay in the hobby, you’ll use that power supply for many other things in the future! Actually since you got the 5v one you can use them on a Pi as well when you begin tinkering with them.

1 Like

I guess it’s not wise to buy any of them, for any price, unless actual performance stats can be shown. Amir says this about iPower devices - “My previous tests have shown their products to be ineffective.” But I know you can see jitter improvment results with the Galvanic Isolator thingy, at least, but that’s not a power cleaning device.

I found this test from early 2017. iPower 9V:
1A = 10.31uV (0.15uV audio band).
2A = 12.22uV (0.15uV audio band).
(Apparently extremely good VS the competition…)

Amir doesn’t listen to the things he’s reviewing, he’s actually made speaker recommendations based on measurements without any listening impressions. I find that amusing.

Let your ears be the judge. Listen to what you got for a week and after that, install your new adapter.

11 Likes

Those ripple numbers don’t mean much of anything unless a bandwidth is provided along with them (and they are expressed as Vrms and Vpp).
A graph for each PSU providing “ripple mV @% load” would have been minimum, not just “look, number”.
FFT-spectrum (≈ frequency response) is also wanted since it could be well outside the audible spectrum.

The next problem is that below 25-ish mV (depending on how noisy your area is EMI wise), without some big attention to detail on the measurement side (= knowing your shit), the numbers are completely worthless.

This here, this here is BAD:

And this is worse:

Video explaining how to do it right:

3 Likes

This is in tents lol. So who do we send our iPowers to for testing? You? :slight_smile:

Most definitely not. :skull_and_crossbones:
I know how to operate test equipment (to an extent) and how to read schematics. I do not want to be yet another travelling merchant yelling “higher/lower number better, look at my numbers” through the internet.

2 Likes

I just got an invoice to pay for the Bifrost 2 via PayPal but I had already put in my Mastercard and payment info during the order 2 months ago. Wondering if this is how it normally goes or if I might be accidentally paying twice

They don’t charge you until they are ready to ship.

From their FAQ page:
Do you charge my card immediately, or when you ship?

We won’t charge your order before we ship, though we will authorize your card when you submit your order. The hold on your funds should be dropped after 3 days if we don’t ship before then.

2 Likes

bifrost 2 b stock silver 115v up now Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in California

Not there this am…must have sold.

Yeah, they don’t last long… Probably going up on eBay for over $700…

If people are out there looking for a Bifrost, I’ve also seen a couple of Bifrosts pop up in the Buy/Sell thread:

(I also recently upgraded from a Bifrost, but at least for the moment, I’m keeping mine. :D)

I am stoked to say that my Bifrost 2 arrived today. I had guarded expectations behind this DAC, but it has delivered and then some. This is a great HiFi device. I thought it would be sort of different to write a first impression while, you know, it was a real first impression! So here is that first impression, taken over the course of two full albums…

Schiit Bifrost 2 First thoughts…

When you first experience it, you think “man, it’s a nice looking device (build quality is actually quite good) but it doesn’t really have much in the way of features” (i.e. sound filters, volume knobs and so on). But after a few hours of listening you realize that this DAC doesn’t need those things. The features are on the inside. You get pure, clear sound with no coloring, no filters. The DAC produces no noise, either. No pop, no hum, nothing. Maybe it’s the U2 Pro, but there is no noise. Just beautiful quiet. The SMSL DACs I have are also good about that. I’m happy that this one is carrying on that great tradition. Well done, Schiit.

As you listen, you are immediately struck by the fact that the sound stage is very wide, deep and powerful. There is a power and clarity that I have never heard before. I am using the word power a lot but that is what keeps striking me. It’s impressive. The instrument separation is remarkable. cymbals never lose emphasis, never fade away until they do so naturally. Drums in general are reproduced to near perfection. Percussion is very well established but not overpowering. You hear every little effect, even if it is just a little castonet, you hear it. There is absolutely ZERO trebble schrill. Meaning there is no saturation, no fatigue. Overall tone is so natural and true. The Bass hit is right on the money and at just the right amplitude. You hear every note the Bass player is playing with power and precision. Highs are crisp, precise and not offensive. Almost perfect, really. And that is HUGE for me. Vocals are unbelievably clear and strong. The mids are the thing that is most surprising, though. This thing delivers them with a power and clarity I have never heard before. Piano and guitars are off the charts. And again, not overwhelming to other things in the sound field. That is the real beauty of this DAC - No one thing overrides or overpowers the other. You hear everything. I’m listening to Asia by Steely Dan, one of my favorite albums, and it is sublime. The snare hits, the brass, the subtle fills - just sublime. And I have to keep reminding myself that I’m streaming this! Unreal, man. This, for me, is truly next level.

The TA-20 seems to be a natural fit for this DAC as well. I was a bit nervous about that, but there is a definite synergy between the two, so I am very stoked about that. I haven’t tried the SP200 yet, but I’ll get there! I’m guessing that will be very good as well. Right now I’m enjoying the organic goodness of the tube. I like the fact that there is just a volume knob now at the amp. Very simple and clean. I am going to have great fun with this setup.

I think I am done buying for now… No really. :neutral_face:

10 Likes

Ha famous last words…I give you two month until another audio purchase …tubes or cable or IEMs the bug will bite again…just wait

1 Like

Congrats on your B2!

imo This is one of the best all around dacs and values in hi-fi. Period. Mic Drop!

Fantastic device that punches well over its price.

I had a $5495 Chord TT2 here, great device, but the B2 was as good as it and I actually preferred the B2 over the much more costly Chord.

I have been tempted many times to upgrade the B2, but to date havent heard a dac thats that much better and not costing mega-bucks…maybe a Yggy 2 someday!

Alex

2 Likes