Schiit Bifrost 2

Hmmm, I don’t think I’ve plugged my phone it. My Cayin N6ii DAP, which uses Android, works just fine with BF2.

1 Like

Anyone with a Motorola or Android phone confirm/deny BF2 works via USB? =p

I had the wyred4sound(?) and noticed no difference so I sold it. lol

UAPP

There is a bunch of info on the bifrost page for this.

I don’t see “UAPP” anywhere, but did find this,

“Android. Most Android devices that shipped with Android M or above will work using a USB OTG cable. Some may require separate player software, like USB Audio Player Pro.”

USB Audio Player Pro = UAPP

Its a very good player

Had the exact issue.

Ohhh, on the HFG page, you meant. Gotcha :slight_smile: I don’t even have a cable to go from my phone to the BF2. Damn again!

Is the conversion from USB audio to SPDIF a lossy process? If not, I don’t see why it price would matter for the performance of these converters.
I’m sure more premium ones will have a superior internal clock. But I haven’t seen any good reason so far to believe a well designed DAC’s internal clock can’t fix any timing imperfections on it’s own. If there good material somewhere here explaining this, let me know.

The process isn’t supposed to be lossy, but some data is often lost. The issue is whatever the doohickey is that converts the electric signal into a flashing light beam (the name escapes me) doesn’t always give a true bit for bit conversion, particularly the cheaper it is. Then the flashing light has to be converted back to an electrical signal where the same thing happens in reverse. These lost bits are a form of jitter if I’m not mistaken. So it’s not lossy in the way a compression code is where data is intentionally lost, but some bits literally get lost in the shuffle. If these conversions were perfect optical would be awesome because a quality fiber optic cable is great for transmission on its own.

4 Likes

The process is lossless.
It’s all about the clock, and the cleanliness of the ground.
Whatever takes the USB signal has to clock out the SPDIF signal, and human hearing is very sensitive to jitter.
If this were not the case Schiit wouldn’t have gone through 5 different USB implementations before they got to Unison.

3 Likes

And I’m thinking they won’t stop there. It’s good but I’m still liking the XLR in my Yggy more.

1 Like

You’re using XLR instead of USB…? Or?

Yeah, for music in my desk I feed XLR through a Pi2AES. I used USB only when I switch to computer audio for watching YouTube and such.

Oy, looks complicated to set up. You can use it wired? Or only wifi?

Both actually as the Pi can be set up either way. It’s not too complicated and there’s always geeky guys like me and a dozen other folks that would gladly guide folks through a build. Not to litter the thread here but if you’re interested in some light reading.

3 Likes

So I got my Douk U2 Pro in the system, powered by my 5V phone charger; PC(Windows 7!) → Douk (coax) → BF2 (bal out) → G111 (SE out) → Erupt. It sounds bloody magical. Now my Mojo sounds congested and muddy!!! Everything sounds basically real now. Fantastic detail, separation, dynamic range, extension, refinement, bass impact, space, everything. This is “hear things you’ve never heard before” territory, even off my measly Erupt. :slight_smile: It sounds like a totally new headphone. This only reinforces my stance(and observations) that a DAC makes much more difference(s) than the amp. I am even getting MORE power out of the amp, now, too… Too much power. D: You can hear reverb/echo/etc mix effects so clearly.

I need to know how a Qutest/Hugo 2/TT 2 compares to BF2.

4 Likes

That thing looks pretty good for the price, I told you that it’s got a decent looking clock to clean up the noisy signal from your PC. If you use a better power supply, even one of the iFi $50 dollars ones it will clean up even more.

Bet if you try it with your Chord you’ll see that it cleans that up pretty well too.

iPower($69), iPower X($99), iPower Elite($299)? Do we know what the ‘cleanliness’ rating of each is…? I actually can’t even tell if the ends of these will fit the Douk.

Yeah, I used Mojo with the same coax & optical from the Douk as the BF2 gets, and it sounds muddy & congested compared to BF2. I don’t think I am getting a better signal from USB with Mojo, but I need to test it again to be sure. I think Mojo has hit its limit =p

Good to hear, the $69 dollar one will be the sweet spot for your chain. They come with adapters to fit everything you’ll come across.

1 Like