🔷 Schiit Jotunheim 2

AKG K712 pro. I know, not the most technically prowess headphone, but I love it by the general sound presentation and for the incredible comfort. But it is kinda hazy on the imaging, so maybe I shouldn’t be that concerned. :laughing:

1 Like

Don’t you have an Element amp? I would think that would be fine to continue using the K712 Pro. An MLP could be used for everything else.

What DAC do you prefer with the LP of BG2 and ARES II?

Yeah it really is about preference. In overall technical prowess they are essentially equals. I lean BF2 a little more often. I think BF2 has slight edge in timbre, detail, and bass control and extension. It has a hint of Schiit’s warmth too. I think Ares has an edge in overall staging, has more neutral FR, and has an energetic sound that can be more fun and present as more detailed. I wouldn’t sweat it too much between the two because there isn’t a bad choice.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m settled for the time being. As I said somewhere in another post here, later this year I’m getting a living room setup, and I was thinking about getting something different for Headphones as well. Guess just it isn’t the Jot 2.

Still, there is quite some time and other things to get, so I will enjoy what I have for the moment. Thanks again! :smiley:

Edit: also waiting on your review on the Cayin HA-A1 MkII Tube Amp. That’s also on a my future list, just quite in the future.

1 Like

welp, that erases this one off my list… the LP stays yet another day. Thanks again @WaveTheory

2 Likes

My pleasure!

Beautifully written, insightful and informative. Thank you sir!

1 Like

My Jot 2 volume knob issue/concern

Unpacking the Jot 2 and giving it that “look over” one does when holding and admiring a new piece of gear for the first time, I noticed the volume knob was sticky and not smooth. From the lowest setting, I’ll call it 6:30 through 8 o’clock was OK. But at 8 o’clock it started to stick and I could feel it “scraping” and also hear it too, like metal to metal, and it became very difficult to turn, hanging up pretty solidly at 9 o’clock. It was like that through about the 10:30 position where it then freed back up and rotated normally and without resistance or scraping noise.

I contacted support and described the concern as above.

Support response:
Please gently remove the knob and then push the knob back on being careful not to push the volume knob to close to the chassis that will cause friction.

I removed the knob at Schilt’s request and it was immediately obvious what the source of the scraping was, and it fit my description of symptoms and the range of movement where the scraping noise was heard, and where the knob ultimately hung up at.
jot2 knobscrape2

You can see where the scraping was happening, from the anti-twist stud that protrudes from the chassis, as it was routing a groove in the knob (my metal-to-metal noise). Also, looking at that anti-twist stud that juts out of the front of the unit – note where that is … 9 o’clock, where it was hanging up solidly.

I replied back to support and sent them photos. We had a few more exchanges and ultimately, I was sent a replacement knob, another push-pull type. I was hoping for one of the types as used on my A3 that uses a set screw to hold it in position. I think one of that style not only provides more control over positioning but is also more secure.

Conclusion:
All in all, it’s wasn’t that big of a deal technically and Schiit did send a new knob. I’m sure it will be fine now knowing what the root cause appears to be, and that I am admittedly a very picky consumer.

Edits: I replaced where I wrote “screw-tip” with “anti-twist stud”

2 Likes

That is not a screw, that is the “anti-twist”-stud on the pot. On this picture, you can see it:

1 Like

That describes precisely what I was experiencing as well.

Once again another great review! I find myself skimming through a lot of reviews to find specifically what I am looking for, but genuinely enjoy reading through yours entirely.

1 Like

Just wanted to leave a comment about my recent experience with the Jot 2 and Modius. I recently purchased a pair of LCD-X and was looking to upgrade my super old dac and headphone amp. After reading and asking around I settled on the Jot 2 and Modius thinking it would provide an improvement over my current system, surprisingly that wasn’t the case.

Current system Komplete Audio 6 (MKI) —>Suca Tube-T1 Preamp ----->Fiio e09k

When I first hooked up the Modius and Jot 2 I was a little surprised at how harsh the highs were and the lack of detail compared to what I was use to. There was a noticeable lack of detail in the mids and much more harshness in the highs on songs like The Budos Bands Long in the Tooth. At first I thought this was due to the Jot 2 but later after sending my Komplete audio 6 to the Jot I found out the cause was the Modius. Maybe there was something wrong with the unit? but I was very surprised that dac sounded noticably worse than a super old interface like the komplete audio 6.

Next I spent two days A/Bing my current setup to the Jot 2 with both setups now being fed audio from the Komplete and using the balanced headphone out on the Jot 2. To my surprise the two sounded very similar. There were times when the Jot 2 was a bit more resolving on details but my old setup still has a slight edge in enjoyment with the bass having just a bit more punch and body and a touch more warmth overall.

I was really expecting a noticeable upgrade but it looks like I have to set my sights higher. As a result I think I will be returning both units.

3 Likes

Were you using the Modius via XLR or via RCA, IMO it has two different sound signatures depending on which you use. The RCA is more airy/dfifuse sounding and the XLR is more aggressive, (sub)bassy and in your face. I personally find the XLR out of the Modius to be quite unforgiving of “bad” recordings and the like, its more forward/aggressive nature really pounds the pops, hiss and shitty compression in your ears. It can be pretty rough at times, particularly when paired with a pretty neutral amp as Jot 2 appears to be based on impressions.

You might try the RCA outs of the modius to see if its more to your liking just for the experience, assuming you arent at the end of your return window.

1 Like

Thanks for the review! May I ask a question about the balanced output? You mentioned that the SE output is like Asgard 3 on the warmer side, whilst the balanced output is like a different amp on the cleaner more neutral side - I wonder whether it sounds more like the Magnius

My current setup is Modius balanced to Magnius, and SE to Asgard 3. I like both amps for their own sound - I wonder if I should sell the two amps and get the Jot 2 so essentially I keep what I like but in one chassis and marginally better.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you, kindly. The Jot 2 balanced and Magnius will be closer in sound than Asgard and Magnius, yes. I don’t remember them being identical, but definitely closer. Jot 2 will crush Magnius’ performance, though. IMO Asgard easily outperforms Magnius. So since Jot 2 marginally outperforms Asgard…

2 Likes

That’s the same idea I have. I am thinking about selling my thx789 and A3, to get a jot 2!

Thanks again! Now I’m seriously thinking about it…

Well keep us updated if you do! :smile:

1 Like

I haven’t heard the Jot 2, so I can’t say whether I agree with Steve here or not, but I thought I would share. Seems to me like a Jot 2 with a multibit DAC is a pretty compelling option for an all-in-one $600 option.

1 Like