šŸ”· Schiit Jotunheim 2

I have a Jot 2 but with no modules. I have it paired currently with a Bifrost 2 balanced out to the Jot balanced in. It sounds really good to me. I have also paired it up with a Modius, also balanced to balanced and that sounded good too, but the Bifrost 2 takes the win. Although, comparing a $700 DAC to a $200 DAC that is expected.

I donā€™t have a $2K+ amp to compare it to nor have I heard an amp in that range so I am unable to speak to that other than Iā€™m pretty sure the Jot might have some qualities of an amp in that class but I doubt that it is a replacement. AKA the Jot 2 is not a giant killer, IMO. But it is a pretty darn good amp in its class.

As for an all-in-one solution - those sound very appealing but I honestly feel one is better off with separate DAC & Amp pairings. As there is more flexibility to swap one or the other out as you get different headphones etc. Again, just my thoughts. I know there can be compelling reasons to go with an all-in-one.

1 Like

It shouldnā€™t matter if itā€™s done right, but ā€¦ Totally agree on separate DAC/Amp; especially if the voltage is low off the DAC board.

Yeah, I just like to fiddle with stuff too much to be tied in to one box like that. Iā€™m just saying that I could see people liking that simplicityā€¦ Although maybe most people at this level donā€™t like their stuff simple? If we did, weā€™d probably all just have Air Pods and be done with it.

1 Like

Review!

1 Like

Jot 2 is for, me is a really fun amp good bass, punchy and energetic as described. And yes, I have an amp on my desk that was 3x as much as the jot 2 and Yes, there is a major difference - but I still keep the Bifrost 2 and Jot 2 on the desk and still enjoy using that stack.

1 Like

Any input between the A3 and Jot2 SE?

The SE on the Jot 2 is a little better than on my A3. However, I donā€™t feel it is enough difference to upgrade from an A3. If I did not have an amp, and if I did not have a need for balanced and did not have any plans to use balanced. I would go for the A3 still. Only time I would say go for the Jot 2 is if you were looking for balanced - and to have pretty much equal performance from either SE or Balanced outputs in the same amp.

The SE output on my Liquid Platinum as an example, is not as good as the Balanced output. Thatā€™s one thing that sets the Jot 2 aside from most amps in its class - Both SE/BAL perform pretty much equally albeit with slightly different signatures.

Edit: You should check out @WaveTheory 's Review for more detailed info on the Jot 2

7 Likes

Worth noting that the SE of Jot puts out one-third the max power of Balanced, also considerably less than A3. Not that it is not powerful. Butā€¦ less so than a Magni.

The SE is a convenience piece again, as you said Jot2 should be purchased with balanced as the primary pref. Interesting to hear that you prefer the SE on Jot2 to A3 though, Iā€™d love to hear a bit about the difference.

The differences are subtle as I mentioned and by themselves do not warrant an upgrade from the A3 on their own but, I find the Jot 2 SE fuller, smoother with a bit more detail and the stage presence to be more open than the A3. YMMV.

Every time I say this about anything in this hobby

4 Likes

How does it measure compared to the Magnius? Not looking for subjective reviews.

Then you are looking in the wrong place lol, perhaps checking out schiits own measurements on their site might be worthwhile

9 Likes

Looks like balanced is more or less the same as the magnius. Nothing noticeably different that would be heard audibly.

Thatā€™s not what people whoā€™ve owned it have found from what I have seen

So harmonic distortion is audible over balanced?

Iā€™m more meaning sound signature differences of the amp

Hello,
Would the Jotunheim 2 be a good complement to my 789, or a straight up replacement? I like the sound of the 789 fine, but Iā€™m curious. I have the Bifrost 2 on the way (itā€™s been stuck in Memphis for a week). My 2 main cans are the HD660s & Focal Elex. I also have the HD58x and Grado SR80e.
Thanks,

Hi! IMO the Jot 2 will be a replacement AND upgrade from the 789. Youā€™ll get a similar sound sig to the 789 from the Jot 2ā€™s balanced output with less treble harshness and youā€™ll get a changeup sound sig from the SE output to boot.

4 Likes

Congrats on the Bifrost 2 !!! I have a great passion for mine. I also particularly enjoy the match-ups of Bifrost 2 with the Jot 2 and also Liquid Platinum.

I have never heard a 789 so I have no input, and even if I did I would trust @WaveTheoryā€™s ears and experience over mine. All I can do is honestly let you know how much I enjoy the Bf2/Jot2 together. Using balanced out from BF2 into balanced in on the Jot 2 - and then using either SE or BAL headphone out. There is some really good ā€œsynergy magicā€ in that combo as one might expect with both of them being pieces of Schiit (lol).

4 Likes

Are most amp/dac combos like the Jot2 these days easily connectable to an ipad pro?

Iā€™m thinking of buying a unit but my work setup is an ipad pro with external keybord and trackpad.

Thanks peeps