Schiit Loki Max

probably would do you well though as it would match the quality level your iFi is.

Way too rich for me and I barely use the Loki.
And the iFi has that sweet bass boost so, nah.

1 Like

That is one problem I can actually see.
Equipment like the Drawmer 1974 (which has more options) or the elysia xfilter exist in the same price bracket. After import tax, the Tegeler Audio Manufaktur EQP-1 (dual mono EQ) is also an option.

Not sure if less could have been more here.

1 Like

That stuff all looks Very studio though. Maybe that is also Schiits target?
It is certainly way beyond someone like me that always wants to add a touch of bass and sometimes tame some treble.

Think more it’s for the kind of crowd that uses something like a Freya as a preamp and likes the uniform stack esthetic and otherwise a better deal than a power cable for a grad imo :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s what the Lokius is for right?

2 Likes

I would pick it up just to try, but I already have better hardware EQ on hand (probably), and also I don’t really use EQ for playback in my setups anyways, so can’t really justify it myself

I won’t buy it, but I sure do love and respect it.

1 Like

Exactly. Seems like the hardcore audiophile types are kind of against EQ’ing in the first place. And those that aren’t are probably going to use something better than this. I think it’s going to find challenges in that regard. Don’t get me wrong at all, it certainly appears to be a nice piece and may compete nicely. I hope it does. It certainly doesn’t align with my system profile, however. The Lokius might do better for me, but that unit is getting somewhat mixed reviews as far as I can tell.

Again, we’ll see how she goes. It would enhance that upper tier Schiit stack for sure. Cost aside, Like you, it’s not an option for me, either.

3 Likes

That’s true, those after something more tone control esque might be using flavor eq like pultec eqp-1a/mercury eq-1/all the other pultec clones, chandler tg12345, manley massive, etc, or something more neutral and accurate with more bands like a gml 8200, spl pq, weiss eq1, crane song ibis, maselec mea 2, etc. That being said most of these are much less simple and plug and play, might not look the part for some, or more investment than someone would want to make in an eq, so I still see some going for a loki max, but it is in a slightly weirder spot. Already have an 8200, chandler, and a pair of pultec so I’m pretty set with hardware eq for my needs (absolutely love those pultec, work on anything and basically a “make this better” box most of the time, better spatialitiy, richer tonal density, more natural, more dynamic, just adds a lot of character and life. It also works as an eq as well lol)

2 Likes

There comes a point where this stuff to “some” or “many” dont justify the price…they just want it and get it…simple…

For many others on budgets its a different story…does one really need EQ hardware at all?

Only you can answer that question!

Its a woderful time to be in this hobby with so many great choices for stuff out there!

Its easy to see why this costs more with all the “hard” parts, those large looking transformer things, chokes, multiple motorized pots…If u ever do DIY you can understand how this works…the cost of the pcbs etc…

Enjoy the music!
Alex

Maybe. But from what I can gather the Lokius is getting mixed reviews in terms of quality and performance. Perhaps a cleaned up, enhanced version 2 of the Lokius would attract me. In my old system I had a 7-band Realistic EQ that worked a treat. Didn’t have any fancy remotes or any bullshit like that; just 7 lovely sliders for each channel that gave me everything I wanted.

But to use that one you have to have tape monitoring inputs and outputs, which is why I can’t use it in my current setup. Shame, that. Here is the rear view

Hell, if anyone has any ideas on how I might be able to connect it to my current rig please let me know. It can’t be as simple as just using the mains! And anyway, it isn’t balanced. So I guess it’s a done deal anyway.

What’s your current setup? Wouldn’t that just be as simple as sending a dac/source into the main input, and taking the main output and feeding it to the amp? Tape would only be used if you wanted to multiply the input to feed another source like a tape deck or recorder of some sort (and monitor would be the output of the tape deck to listen into it), unless I’m looking at things wrong

You know, now that I am looking at this, you might well be right! My Big Brother, who is a Bass player, connected it all up for me years ago and that is the way it stayed until the Marantz receiver died, which is what got me into this HiFi mess in the first place! :laughing:

So my current chain is

Schiit Bifrost 2 into a one-in, three-out XLR switcher, which allows me to select three different amps, all XLR of course.

So in that case, you would need to convert the chain to single ended to use it to pass through to all amps, but assuming you did that, it would be bifrost 2 → eq main in then to eq main out → switcher → then to amps. If you wanted to still use the switch even though it used xlr, all you would need would be xlr male to rca to connect the eq to the switch (rca into eq, xlr into switch), then xlr female to rca to connect from the switch to the amps via rca (xlr from switch, rca into amps).

Or alternatively you could dedicate the eq to one specific amp and use the rca out of the bifrost into the eq and out to a specific amp, while keeping the other amps connected to the switcher (but those wouldn’t be connected to the eq)

1 Like

Yep, I’m seeing it now. I guess it is just that simple. Big Bro had it going through the tape jacks and so on, so I thought there was more to it than that. I forgot my KISS principles!

@MON, thanks for the time. Sometimes a fresh perspective is what is needed. That is why I like this place. My brain is already spinning with ideas. It’s play time again! :sunglasses:

No worries, the tape jacks can be handy, but not needed in this case

click for shitty wiring diagram

For running everything through eq with a balanced switch:
Need 2 of cables like these : Benchmark RCA to XLRM Adapter Cable for Analog Audio - pin 3 to RCA sh - Benchmark Media Systems

Need 6 of cables like these : Benchmark XLRF to RCA Adapter Cable for Analog Audio - pin 3 floating - Benchmark Media Systems

Or just buy a single ended switch instead of needing adapters for a balanced switch, that’s likely easier lol

2 Likes

This is making things for me just too complicated…I am a simple man.
The least amount of stuff, wires, cables, switches etc…

Old school…never used the balanced or tone controls on anything!!

To “fix” or “correct” things in a recording…well seems like you need to do this with each song as it might have been recorded or mixed differently…the band members might be in differing places. IMO its like chasing a greased pig…hold on tight buddy!

Anyhow the price for this doesnt bother me in the least…its the price of admission. Period. And you dont have to play or use some older stuff thats fine as well.

This is one for me to just watch the parade go by!!

:>)

1 Like

While balanced is newer for consumer audio, tone controls might be something you could consider old school lol (just saying they were most present in the past, not saying most used them or anything)

Personally would agree, to “fix” a song you would want to remaster/remake each one by hand, and even then that’s not really fixing, that’s just making something better fit your preferences, and even then there’s only so much you can do in post, if things were screwed up from the start there’s not much else you can do there

I see eq like this moreso just as suiting to preference than any sort of corrective work, since that’s somewhat a wasted effort/lost cause most of the time imo. So it’s more adding flavor to suit the listener than trying to “fix” a recording, sort of a set and forget coloration. (I guess the argument could be made for use as room correction but it’s really not featured enough to do that effectively I’d say)

2 Likes

Me too…I want to listen to my library and not fiddle with sliders…I’m an end user/listener and not a frustrated music engineer :smile:

1 Like