šŸ”· Schiit Magnius

This video review specifically mentioned scratchiness on this unit already though I believe.
Unless Iā€™m losing me mind. Which I am.

1 Like

For anyone wondering how to easily switch to powered monitors with the Magnius, I found using a smart power strip from TP-Link / Kasa worked very well. Now all I have to do is say ā€œAlexa, turn on/off desk speakersā€.

1 Like

I agree, I feel like the Magnius is an authoritative parent who wants all my headphones to be clinically accurate audio engineers. For just the Tin P1s, thatā€™s within reason. But for the KPH30i, Blons, Yamahas, and my newly acquired 6XXā€™s, they just live with an oppressive parent who misunderstands their kidā€™s strengths and weaknesses.

Sorry if that analogy was too elaborate or strangely deep. Idk how else to describe what Iā€™m hearing. With that all said, Iā€™m gonna save up some money and get a new amp. I got my eyes on the Asgard 3, but since Iā€™ve already invested some money into balanced cables, Iā€™m also curious about Class A magic, so I am also eyeing the Singxer SA-1.

If you think this amp is an authoritarian parent run amuck try a THX amp!

Big smile here!

Whilst the Magnius is a bit better than a THX amp it could be also true that both just sound too clinical. After all, it appears that Schiit designed the Magnius for the purposes of chasing measurement (if you see it as a balanced version of Magni Heresy).

Going by pure measurements is one thing, actual listening is often another IMOā€¦i.e. for ā€œmeā€ā€¦

Had them all hereā€¦

ā€œbit betterā€ is really not very meaningful at allā€¦more to it than this.

Its all about the music and how these ā€œtoysā€ allow it to be what is on the CD, record or stream etcā€¦

But its fun to try and playā€¦often most modern day stuff is pretty decent but some do really stand outā€¦for meā€¦and this my be very different for you!

Enjoy the music!
Alex

1 Like

maybe the new measurement should be stack height? 7 Schiits stacked on top of each other is a good attempt at the record. Who holds the record for most Schiit devices stacked on top of each other? I would guess the Schiit warehouse holds this record, but given the level of backorder right now, maybe notā€¦

1 Like

Here maybe you will like this ā€œStackā€ better!!

3 Likes

I was inspired, and just created a topic for this :smiley:

3 Likes

Wait, so youā€™ve tried all of these. Which ones did you like the best?

Good things come to those that have to waitā€¦

Ok then I should say, Magnius doesnā€™t sound good, it has slightly better dynamics and separation and slightly better timbre than the 789, but both arenā€™t very good compared to, say, something like Asgard 3 at the same price. Just pointing out how crap a THX is doesnā€™t automatically make the Magnius good.

Eric,

This is not an easy answerā€¦for each answer there will be rebuttals and down that path that I do not like to venture anymore.

The answer is your gong to have to try and listen and see for yourself.

Its part of the fun.

I can easily tell you what good and not so good from a design standpoint for sure, but there are many good choices with varying dependencies.

I do have ā€œmyā€ favorites for sureā€¦for me they center around good design, ample power in voltage and current to drive my headphones very well. Cost comes to play at times and sometimes not.

Simplicity in engineering IMO is a ā€œgreatā€ attribute. Direct coupled is another ā€œgreatā€ attribute for meā€¦no coupling caps in the way to color the sound. An amp should just get out of the way and allow the signal to come thru with as little attenuation as possible.

I lean towards Class A operation, but Class AB done well can also be pretty good.

If you PM me about a particular amp be glad to chat!

All the best!
Alex

1 Like

Actually while I had a THX amp here I did enjoy it with some headphones.

The little Schiit is an old Magni 3, which for me is still one of the best discrete $99 amps of all timesā€¦
The middle one is a diy, T2 renamed to Noir due to naming issues! lol.
Class A 2 watt.

This is why I maintain that Schiit should acquire the name Pyle.

Look at my Schiit-Pyle! Lol.

6 Likes

How do you know when this is achieved? Just curious on your thought, no rebuttal :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This is a fairly easy question and a very good one!

When the signal in matches the signal out with only a change in amplitude.

:>)

1 Like

What would be an example of this?

1 Like

Do you enjoy it more than, say, an Asgard 3 or Jot 2? Just curious.

1 Like

The only headphone I liked it with were the newer Mr Speakers Aeon 2 Open headphones. The reason was the amount of power IMO that helped these really low impedance cans come alive. If i remember correctly the impedance is 13 ohms or there-abouts. I didnt have the Jot 2 when I had it here in house and I did buy it from Monoprice.

Even though they worked best with these cans back then I sold the Aeon 2ā€™s. Not the greatest headphone for me.

One of the real sleeper amps for the money is indeed the Schiit Jot 2ā€¦power, several combinations for output etcā€¦SE and balanced. Just a good all around amp for the bucks IMO, again is for ā€œmeā€ and you may not like it for whatever reason.

1 Like