šŸ”· Schiit Magnius

Thank you for taking the time to write the reply. Just to clarify how I personally feel:

1. None of this ā€œoffendsā€ me. It is your private life.
  1. None of this ā€œoffendsā€ me either, it is your personal autonomy. In fact, your contribution is greatly appreciated, at least by me personally.

2. However, I personally am under the impression that it is also your intention to give recommendations and purchase advice to members here, which, again, will not ā€œoffendā€ me but is greatly appreciated by me.

But, when (3) is combined with (1), namely, when, given your expertise and experience, it is unavoidable that you would, from time to time, be giving recommendations of products from companies that you have done testing for or worked with, I personally feel there might be a potential, either actual or perceived, conflict of interests, and it might be more appropriate to either refrain from doing so, or, to declare such potential, either actual or perceived, conflict of interests when doing so. Still, this will not ā€œoffendā€ me, because ā€œoffendā€ is a heavy word, and I donā€™t consider myself as someone who is easily offended.

Having said that, these are only my personal, at best, constructive opinions, at worst, prejudiced complaints, that you are absolutely entitled to ignore or dismiss. I sincerely hope they wonā€™t offend you or make you feel unwelcome here.

Gosh are u an attorney?? :grinning:

lol

Many folks here give advice and often very strong recommendations to buy this or that.

I do want to make it clear " Never have I worked for any company" that has sent me stuff to try, test etcā€¦and all of this stuff has come into my house unsolicited!

Just been around many great folks in the industry and count myself a very lucky person to have some great relationships.

Life is way to complicated at timesā€¦and some make too much of peoples intentions etcā€¦

Keep it simple.

Try stuff, listen, make your own conclusionsā€¦buy what you likeā€¦ignore the BS etc.

Its ā€œYOURā€ moneyā€¦if you dont like a product ā€œDont Buy Itā€ there are many great choices out there.

Ok. nuff of this for me ā€¦

Enjoy the music while you can!!

Alex

1 Like

Back to the Magnius.

When it was first announced I ā€œboughtā€ it and the matching dac the slim Modius. $400 for the pair.

Had them here for a few weeks.

Reason was to see how well this amp would compare to a THX amp I had as wellā€¦spec wise etc they both had stellar numbers for you folks that like numbers etc.

I also had a Asgard 3 here I again 'bought" B-Stock that I wanted to see how well they compared as well.

The Magnius has taken some hits in that the SE side is not as powerful or ā€œgood??ā€ as the balanced side.

For me two things mattered. How well would a $200 powerful amp work in a balanced setup and compare to other amps in this price range.

I wound u selling the Asgard 3 and sending the Magnius and Modius back to Schiit.

Why?

Well in my case I have a lot of ampsā€¦several vendors and my curiosity was satiated.

I have several amps for ā€œmeā€ that are pretty decentā€¦and if I find an amp that might be better in some way I usually would keep it or sell oneā€¦in this case the Magnius (and Asgard 3) were both fine amps. but they just didnā€™t bring to me a really big differenceā€¦but I had to hear or use them myself rather than rely on a reviewers ā€œglittering generalitiesā€. Like I say, try and buy or return.

I will say if I didnt have some of these other amps and was getting started out and wanted a low cost really decent balanced setup the Magnius is a really great price performerā€¦

The other item was the dac which is a totally another discusion. (a comparison with the Bifrost 2).

Alex

Note: I also sold the THX.

To my ear the Magnius is the best amp of its kind that Iā€™ve heard (havenā€™t heard a Geshelli Erish, yet). Iā€™m defining its kind as high-feedback op-amp based amplifiers that are measurement chasers. I think Schiit did a good job of taking that amp topography and injecting a taste of musicality into it that THX and Topping amps lack. The only other amp of that type that does similarly that I have heard is the Zen CAN, but iFi screwed up the power delivery in the low end on that amp and it gets really sloppy below 100ish Hz. Magnius is still well in control in that range for its price point. Even so, to my ear, the performance gap between the Magnius and Asgard 3 is enormous in the Asgardā€™s favor. Magnius is really hard for me to recommend over Asgard unless you absolutely must have balanced (which is almost never, TBH - even if there is noise there are other economical solutions to try).

6 Likes

Did u compare the SE on the Magnius to the ā€œSEā€ on the Asgard 3 ?

Direct SE to SE comparison, not much. I listened to Magniusā€™ SE enough to know it was not on the level of its balanced performance (to be clear, Iā€™m talking about SE output, whether SE or BAL input was used made no difference that I can remember atm). The Magniusā€™ SE output is maybe slightly better than the JDS Labs Atom amp, but on its own doesnā€™t justify the $100 jump in cost over the Atom, IMO. I compared ā€œA-game on A-gameā€ between Magnius and Asgard 3 (among several others Get AMPed! WaveTheory's Roundup of (most) <$200 Head Amps) and found the Asgard 3 to pull way ahead of everything else <$200 Iā€™ve been able to hear. At that point the direct SE-to-SE comparison felt superfluous since Magnius BAL is already > than Magnius SE and Asgard 3 was comfortably ahead already. The gap would only get bigger.

5 Likes

The Asgard 3 has come along way from the Asgard OG for sureā€¦

1 Like

When u did your arbitrary ranking did you level match sources etc or was it just a purely subjective analysis based on what your were hearing??

More about your methods of testing would be interesting.

Alex

Did you compare directly the Asgard 3 and the OG Asgard?

Late 2020/early 2021 the DAC stable I had on hand to test all of that would have been Bifrost 2, Modius, Topping D10, and Denafrips Ares II. I max out my PC system volume all the time - I donā€™t want the bit loss that comes from lowering the software volume. All of those DACs have fixed output level save the normal difference between SE and balanced outputs for the Schiits and Denafrips. When I compare amps I do my best to volume match everything to around a 72-73dB average. I donā€™t have fancy measuring gear so I match that by ear and use a phone app level meter to check. I also use the same DAC for each amp - especially at the entry and mid-fi levels where synergy is less important. On higher end gear I do my best to explain what I hear in how pieces interact. I let a test track play all the way through on one amp, then switch the amp and listen to the same song again. Once thatā€™s done Iā€™ll go back and listen to smaller clips of the same track on each amp if I think I hear something of note. However, I do such comparisons after Iā€™ve had multiple days of listening to a piece of gear on its own to acclimate. For the shootout I used SE to directly compare all initially, then used balanced on the CAN and Magnius to hear the ā€œA-game on A-gameā€ so to speak. Beyond that method and amateur level-matching, itā€™s a subjective analysis. Any reader is welcome to agree or disagree with my conclusions and make their own decisions with their money. I just hope my mini-dissertations (haha) help someone. Hopefully that clears some things up.

8 Likes

Hey!

Many thanks for thisā€¦I appreciate you taking the time to explain how you analyze stuffā€¦

I do pretty much the same thingā€¦i have a ā€œrat shackā€ spl meter and made a acoustic coupler and set my levels for approx 75db.

I use the same dac across the board for amp ā€œtestingā€ā€¦and I use a set of well know tracks I play and then the subjective listening starts.

I also have the capability to easily switch in and out amps quickly once level set to do a A/B for a certain track or portion of a track.

Againā€¦thanks for sharing!

Alex

1 Like

Asgard 3 is also Class A magic. :grin:

1 Like

strictly speaking itā€™s class A/B, so itā€™s half magic?

Class A up to 500mW I believe, then it transitions to A/B. Schiitā€™s Continuity circuitry they talk up is their way of smoothing that transition, FWIW.

@Shinidoshi be careful with that ā€œClass A magicā€ thinking. Class A amps can be warm, wide, and smooth (Schiitā€™s designs often lean this way) or they can be more neutral to bright and aggressive (GS-X Mini, for example).

4 Likes

Ah okay, good to know. I have already made the switch from the Magnius to the JDS Labs EL 2 amp. Iā€™m loving that amp so far, and 1.3 wpc is good enough to drive my current lineup. Perhaps it will drive the planar headphones I plan to get: the Sundaras and Dekoni Blue.

If I want more power, Iā€™ll most likely get the Asgard 3, cuz I donā€™t want to deal with balanced cables anymore :sob: Who knows, maybe Schiit will unleash an Asgard 4, and it has 1 watt of Class A Magic? Or perhaps a front-facing switch? :flushed:

But if I do get the Asgard, what happens to my EL 2 amp? Do I just box it in and store it away? Or is there a way I could use both?

I can confirm 1 watt (for example: JDS Atom amp) is enough for T50RPs (I have T50RPs and the JDS Atom). Asgard 3 is 3.5W RMS per channel @ 32 ohms. Donā€™t get caught in the ā€œbut itā€™s not real class Aā€. As far as I know, nothing is ā€œreal class Aā€ anywayā€¦ unless you buy an AVR from the 80s, lol.

1 Like

Real Class A ? Seriously.

A Class A power amplifier is one in which the output current flows for the entire cycle of the AC input supply.

Its as simple as this.

The real or preceivd differences are usually tied to whether the amp is direct coupled or not and selected values of components that might influence the amp,

2 Likes

This is such a weird thing to say. The Asgard 2 is actual class A. So is the RebelAmp, the RNHP, and lots of other amps.

1 Like

RNHP is class A/B biased to class A

1 Like

Fair catch. The point remains itā€™s not actually hard to find class A amps if you look for them.